PDA

View Full Version : Trek recalls one million bikes

bthornt
04-22-2015, 09:07 AM
Didn't see this posted here, if it already was my apologies.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/22/news/trek-bike-recall/index.html?iid=HP_LN

deechee
04-22-2015, 09:25 AM
From what I saw its basically if the quick release isn't closed, it can flip past 180degrees and into the disc brake. So you get a new lever - assuming you don't ride with it closed...

A1CKot
04-22-2015, 09:38 AM
I think people were just turning the lever until it felt tight and not closing the lever at all. Why was the lever on the side with the brake anyway?

Isn't something like this how lawyer tabs came to be?

David Kirk
04-22-2015, 09:49 AM
I think people were just turning the lever until it felt tight and not closing the lever at all. Why was the lever on the side with the brake anyway?

Isn't something like this how lawyer tabs came to be?

As I understand it if the lever is adjusted as it should be, and then is left in the open position (silly I know), that the handle of the lever can flip around and get caught in the disc causing the 'stick in the spokes' phenomenon.

So it's not the wheel coming out of the fork but the lever getting caught in the disc and throwing the rider over the bars.

dave

JAllen
04-22-2015, 09:52 AM
I think people were just turning the lever until it felt tight and not closing the lever at all.

This. I've seen this several times. To the point that it's led for some of the cheapos being sold at big box stores to have the metal safety tab that somewhat holds the wheel in the dropouts (at least long enough for them to notice and pull over.) There needs to be vigilant education of new riders to the dangers this can cause. With bicycle ridership on the rise and all...

ctcyclistbob
04-22-2015, 10:23 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2015/04/21/trek-bicycle-recall/26149227/

This covers almost one million bikes with front discs from 2010 to 2015; apparently the QR can open beyond 180 degrees and interfere with the disc. Not sure how the QR opens while riding, I guess if not tight enough or if it gets hit.

The wheel can freeze or come off the bike. There have been several injuries, including one guy who became a quadriplegic.

This seems like an easy fix - replace the front skewer with one that doesn't open as wide. But also as said above, education is key. Close the skewer properly and don't bump anything that may open it.

A1CKot
04-22-2015, 10:28 AM
This. I've seen this several times. To the point that it's led for some of the cheapos being sold at big box stores to have the metal safety tab that somewhat holds the wheel in the dropouts (at least long enough for them to notice and pull over.) There needs to be vigilant education of new riders to the dangers this can cause. With bicycle ridership on the rise and all...

And here is that education... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0m2Jdfl8To

guido
04-22-2015, 10:52 AM
Makes one want to run right out and buy a disk brake bike...

Fatty
04-22-2015, 11:35 AM
That's why some run the QR handle opposite of the disc side.

thirdgenbird
04-22-2015, 11:55 AM
Didn't see this posted here, if it already was my apologies.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/22/news/trek-bike-recall/index.html?iid=HP_LN

Wow, the video on this article was a waste of bandwidth. I would have rather seen the bullet points in text form.

vqdriver
04-22-2015, 12:22 PM
Makes one want to run right out and buy a disk brake bike...

this says nothing about discs. or about qr levers. or about trek for that matter. i'll say that trek recalling 1mil bikes to replace the front skewer is actually going beyond.

this is akin to a driver not tightening the lug nuts on their car wheels and having it cause a crash. not something i'd blame the car company for....

the real difference here is that with bikes, people regularly remove their front (or both) wheels so it's imperative that they know how to do it properly.

Limonade
04-22-2015, 12:23 PM

I thought this was how everyone did it...its how I set up bikes in the shop when we first started getting in some bikes with discs back in the 90's...but more so to keep peoples grubby hands off the discs when they went to change a wheel...

Mark McM
04-22-2015, 12:37 PM

That works on the front, but what about the rear? Doesn't the derailleur & cable interfere with the lever?

I'm personally very surprised that the industry hasn't moved to a more fool-proof system than the QR skewer (especially for front wheel wheels). I know a number of different systems have been invented over the years, but none have caught on for one reason or another. With the popularity of disc brakes, there is far more likelihood of front wheel attachment issues, whether it is the levers jamming in rotors, or disc-induced wheel ejection forces pulling wheels out. If there are many cases like the Trek issue, and if they produce big dollar lawsuits, maybe the industry will finally wake up.

(And yes, I know that the QR skewer is perfectly safe if used properly. But it relies on a minimum degree of mechanical competence, which cannot always be guaranteed from the general public. If automobiles required wheel removal and reattachment for parking and storage, we'd have a lot of loose wheels flying around the highways due to operator error.)

donevwil
04-22-2015, 01:09 PM
Darwin !

djg21
04-22-2015, 01:14 PM
this says nothing about discs. or about qr levers. or about trek for that matter. i'll say that trek recalling 1mil bikes to replace the front skewer is actually going beyond.

this is akin to a driver not tightening the lug nuts on their car wheels and having it cause a crash. not something i'd blame the car company for....

the real difference here is that with bikes, people regularly remove their front (or both) wheels so it's imperative that they know how to do it properly.

"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

blessthismess
04-22-2015, 02:14 PM
Seems kinda over the top to recall an entire bike over something like that. It's like recalling a gun because people keep forgetting to put on the safety on and accidentaly shooting themselves. How about a PSA or education course on how to properly operate and maintain a bicycle?

Mark McM
04-22-2015, 02:23 PM
Seems kinda over the top to recall an entire bike over something like that. It's like recalling a gun because people keep forgetting to put on the safety on and accidentaly shooting themselves. How about a PSA or education course on how to properly operate and maintain a bicycle?

The bike is being recalled because it was sold as a complete bike, not just as a QR. But only the QR is being replaced. After the owner brings their bike to an authorized dealer, the dealer simply replaces the QR, and the customer leaves with the same bike they brought in (probably the same day).

From the CPSC web page (http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2015/Trek-Recalls-Bicycles-Equipped-with-Front-Disc-Brakes-to-Replace-Quick-Release-Lever/#remedy):

Remedy

Consumers should stop using the bicycles immediately and contact an authorized Trek retailer for free installation of a new quick release on the front wheel. Trek will provide each owner who participates in the recall with a $20 coupon that is redeemable by December 31, 2015 toward any Bontrager merchandise. (The coupon has no cash value.)

brando
04-22-2015, 02:43 PM
Come on down to your neighborhood trek dealer for the recall and see all the lovely 2015 bikes with special offers for a limited time.

Mike Lopez
04-22-2015, 03:11 PM
Darwin !

Natural selection at work. I didn't want to say it first so I waited.... ;)

vqdriver
04-22-2015, 03:27 PM
pretty harsh to say to a new quadriplegic
sometimes people aren't idiots, they just don't know.

austex
04-22-2015, 03:30 PM
Feds'll likely mandate a dork-disc for the disc brake...

benb
04-22-2015, 04:10 PM
About once a week I get paranoid and will pull over and double check my QR levers shortly after starting a ride... so this is kind of hard to imagine riding with them open.

That said the simple fix is QR levers which can't swing open more than 180 degrees... I am going to look at mine, I have a Mavic disc wheelset for my MTB, I am pretty sure Mavic made sure this couldn't happen as they have funky skewers that I don't think can open more than 180 degrees.

Which means Trek did screw up big time and the fix is pretty easy, no need for dork disks.. (which would probably screw with brake cooling and a bunch of other stuff.)

ultraman6970
04-22-2015, 04:12 PM
WHat i would do is just mandate those allen quick releases, and end of the thing, sure some genius will continue using the new quick releases wrong if the lever is still there.

When you get a set of wheels or a new bike in the booklet is really well printed how to use the quick releases too, not that trek did not cover their butt because nobody knew... what they need to do now IMO is to use a web registration and make the user sign (say yes) stating that they read the manual.

The other thing IMO is that trek did not have to do this recall at all. Doesn't look like a equipment problem but a user problem.

benb
04-22-2015, 04:32 PM
It is an equipment problem if most bikes (I am speculating here since I've only owned one disc wheelset) have already been shipping for a long time with QR levers that can't get into the rotor.

For all we know this was an error and the wrong skewers just got stuck on these wheels at the factory.

Mark McM
04-22-2015, 04:41 PM
WHat i would do is just mandate those allen quick releases, and end of the thing, sure some genius will continue using the new quick releases wrong if the lever is still there.

If they did that, they might have to replace the fork and/or hub as well. There is a loophole in the CPSC requirements for front hubs - if the hub does not have a quick release, the front wheel hubs must have a positive retention mechanism, that keeps the wheel attached even if the axle attachment is loosened. So if Trek replaced the quick release skewer with a non-quick release skewer, they might also have to install a positive retention mechanism - which might require replacing the fork and/or hub.

crownjewelwl
04-22-2015, 04:44 PM
Thru axles to the rescue

unterhausen
04-22-2015, 06:45 PM
I'm personally very surprised that the industry hasn't moved to a more fool-proof system than the QR skewer (especially for front wheel wheels).
they have, even pretty cheap bikes are coming with through axle now

Thru axles to the rescue

I don't think anyone is really mentioning through axle as a way of getting rid of the QR, but that is what has happened. It brought back the wingnut as the axle attachment of choice. I think everyone gets the way the through axle works, you just tighten it down and go

seanile
04-22-2015, 06:52 PM
Which means Trek did screw up big time and the fix is pretty easy, no need for dork disks.. (which would probably screw with brake cooling and a bunch of other stuff.)
http://singletrackworld.com/2015/04/qrdisc-brake-recall-update/
"The type of Skewer that opens beyond the 180 degree point is known as a QR11 type. This skewer is NOT made by Trek. It is in fact one of the most common types of skewer on the market and has been rebadged over the years by many bike brands including Shimano."

rustychisel
04-22-2015, 07:32 PM

Maybe you meant to say

"sometimes people aren't idiots, they just haven't learned how to be an idiot yet."?

ultraman6970
04-22-2015, 07:52 PM
Thats a good explanation of the problem, honestly it is a user problem, not a trek problem, headache for them? yes tho.

JeffS
04-22-2015, 07:56 PM
50/50 this is all just industry strategy to speed those QR bikes on to the dump.

ultraman6970
04-22-2015, 07:59 PM
I thought about this, at this point who knows, the only thing that puzzles me is how are they going to go to 135 or 140 mm in a road bike w/o having bladed and thing stays, because is almost sure the shoes will touch the stays, more over what are they going to come up with as a excuse to hurry up the change.

50/50 this is all just industry strategy to speed those QR bikes on to the dump.

gavingould
04-22-2015, 08:00 PM
user/industry-wide problem, not just Trek and not just disc. if you don't use the QR properly...yeah, there might be consequences.

Gummee
04-22-2015, 08:02 PM
pretty harsh to say to a new quadriplegic

How you can 'not know' how to properly operate a QR is beyond me, but I've seen it.

Even if you just used it like a screw, it'd be better than leaving it loose.

...but stuff like this is why we have lawyer lips why every bike always comes with ALL the reflectors.

M

ultraman6970
04-22-2015, 08:03 PM
Gumee you forgot the dork wheel :P

buddybikes
04-22-2015, 08:15 PM
1. People aren't trained to how to use qr
2. Shops must show their customers how they operate, we were mandated at the shop I used to work at.
3. Major insurance issue for Trek, this may affect their future investment substanially
4. People generally aren't mechanical, my wife and daughter could have issues, especially with discs - I work on their bikes
5. Pls don't act elitist and make darwin like comments, think about how you can help rather than hurt people. teach a class at the library on basic maintenance, at the school, etc. Be a proponent for cycling.

Elefantino
04-22-2015, 11:32 PM

2. Shops must show their customers how they operate, we were mandated at the shop I used to work at.

3. Major insurance issue for Trek, this may affect their future investment substanially

4. People generally aren't mechanical, my wife and daughter could have issues, especially with discs - I work on their bikes

5. Pls don't act elitist and make darwin like comments, think about how you can help rather than hurt people. teach a class at the library on basic maintenance, at the school, etc. Be a proponent for cycling.

Amen.

A1CKot
04-22-2015, 11:51 PM

Things like bicycles come with owners manuals for a reason. Why should it fall on individuals working at a bikes shop, who may not even know a thing about a bicycles, to show people how to operate individual components. Do they show you how to buckle your seat belt when you buy a new car?

buddybikes
04-23-2015, 05:28 AM
Good shop will:
1. At least do initial saddle height setup based on quick visual
2. Show how derailleurs work
3. Show how brakes work, front/rear, quick release if rim brakes
4. How quick release work in case people take out of car
5. If hydraulic, give wedge and show how to install for movement of bike

This is a service that makes the difference from buying a bulk retailer and should advertise this fact.

A1CKot
04-23-2015, 06:12 AM
Good shop will:
1. At least do initial saddle height setup based on quick visual
2. Show how derailleurs work
3. Show how brakes work, front/rear, quick release if rim brakes
4. How quick release work in case people take out of car
5. If hydraulic, give wedge and show how to install for movement of bike

This is a service that makes the difference from buying a bulk retailer and should advertise this fact.

This is covering nearly 1 million Trek bikes sold ranging from $480 to $1,650. How many can you expect every bike to be sold by a "good shop" and not a bike "big box" store. I know our base Exchange sells Trek and you just wheel one to the register.

That is the point. Not everyone buys a bike the same way. This shouldn't have been a Trek recall as it effects several manufactures as we have previously discussed. This should have been a service bulletin put out industry wide.

Skenry
04-23-2015, 08:37 AM
Mountain out of a molehill here.

They report 3 injuries out of the 1,000,000 bikes they are recalling. That's a whopping 99.999997% success rate. Someone should be congratulating Trek here on making such a safe product.
Hell I had some flip flops on the other day and stubbed my toe out in the garage. Wonder how much money Old Navy will give me not to sue them?

I do agree though, shops should always be showing customers how their new bikes operate. You will absolutely see disc protector pie-plates because of this. By giving in to this recall, Trek is saying its their fault rather than the dumb customer. Sad.

AJosiahK
04-23-2015, 08:51 AM
You'd be surprised at how many qr skewers are used incorrectly these days. It had everything to do with yes rider ignorance a, but shops who assemble and sell those bikes have a responsibility too.

And agreed with the above, why isn't DTs RWS skewer more popular. I've gt several sets on all my disc bikes.

Pretty incredible what they are doing.

Davist
04-23-2015, 09:19 AM
It hit the USA today site: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2015/04/21/trek-bicycle-recall/26149227/

For Trek, the response is the key. Tylenol contamination in '82 could have killed J&J but became a case study in crisis management. Trek may be looking at it the same way.

benb
04-23-2015, 10:00 AM
http://singletrackworld.com/2015/04/qrdisc-brake-recall-update/
"The type of Skewer that opens beyond the 180 degree point is known as a QR11 type. This skewer is NOT made by Trek. It is in fact one of the most common types of skewer on the market and has been rebadged over the years by many bike brands including Shimano."

Well of course.. Trek doesn't really actually "make" much of anything, they are a marketing/engineering house at this point with very little manufacturing. Making QR levers is not going to be smart business for many bike companies at this point.

But the point is there are other types of QR skewers on the market that are more appropriate for disc-equipped bikes. QR11s are just fine for bikes with rim brakes, the issue here is Trek either a) Selecting the skewers poorly b) Their outsourcing manufacturer did not use the skewers trek specified. And of course c) Riders not taking responsibility for their own safety

ultraman6970
04-23-2015, 10:40 AM
Ben... I would discount a and b ...

Sorry for the injured people but well...

Aang
04-23-2015, 10:59 AM
Attached are pictures of two skewers from my parts drawers -- an Ultegra and a Joytech (OEM skewer purveyor to the stars).

First, in the closed position. Then, in the open position, as far as the levers will rotate (propped up for orthogonality).

The initial problem may indeed be, “I don’t know how to use a QR lever,” but it’s clear that the potential consequences are very different when the generic lever is left open to flop around, especially when you add disc brakes to the equation.

HillDancer
04-23-2015, 11:11 AM
I checked if it were possible for vintage QR campy levers to contact spokes on a rim brake wheel in the unlocked position, and yes they can. On a radial laced, heads out campy wheel, not enough overshoot to cause lock-up. I can imagine there are wheels where it would be possible a vintage campy lever could wedge in spokes in a perfect storm set of circumstances.

tombtfslpk
04-23-2015, 08:50 PM
Okay, Trek recalls a million bikes. and apparently they are the bad guys.
No one seems to mention the fact that EVERY manufacturer uses this same "Shimano" branded skewer on at least some models of their respective product lines. Shouldn't we be applauding Trek for being proactive in their manufacturing responsibility.
I have a garage full of disc brake mountain bikes, no recall notice on my Cannondale, Giant, or Specialized. ALL have the same front skewer as the recalled "Trek" example.