PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight tights

buddybikes
04-21-2015, 08:14 PM
Had for many years very lightweight duofold tights, single layer that were wonderful for 55 degree days, but holes are doing them in. Haven't been able to find inexpensive decent made real lightweight tights. Any suggestions?

buddybikes
04-22-2015, 03:11 PM
bump people must use tights...

thwart
04-22-2015, 03:28 PM
I posted something very similar a year or so ago.

Unfortunately, no useful responses then. Everyone seemed to think leg warmers were the best answer.

And so… the (multiply) patched tights still live on. :banana:

buddybikes
04-22-2015, 03:36 PM
Many years ago duofold has "hybrid" tight with zip, but super thin and dirt cheap that were fantastic. Now their tights are basically underwear, usable but a bit heavier.

rnhood
04-22-2015, 03:37 PM
Under Armour make decent lightweight tights (Coldgear or Heatgear depending on the temperature range) - that you can wear under or over your cycling shorts. For 55 degrees and above the "Heatgear" variety will be preferable. These work extremely well for cycling.

Most the Chinese knock-offs (http://www.ebay.com/sch/Tights-Pants-/177854/i.html) are similar, for much less money. But the nice thing about UA is that they are normally readily available in local sporting goods stores and can thus be tried on.

Duo-Fold was more suited to stationary activities where insulation was important. I liked them too and used to sleep in them in the winter. They often had a cotton component though, which isn't the best idea for cycling or running - although they were exceedingly comfortable.

DCW
04-22-2015, 03:49 PM
Mizuno running tights are great for temps in the 40's/ low 50's when paired with a bib short.

Steelman
04-22-2015, 05:33 PM
Etxeondo has the Feather Tights, the best quality, but they are not inexpensive.

Nalini has a 3 season knicker, they don't make a summer tight anymore, but you can look online for the Grendel and Kamok from past seasons. Again, high-quality stuff.

My suggestion for cost savings: use a light-weight leg warmer.

echelon_john
04-22-2015, 05:38 PM
Aerotech Designs makes some light tights. Not the most stylish, but made in USA, reasonably priced, and good fit.

93legendti
04-22-2015, 08:24 PM
I like Icebreaker "tights"/base layers.
I have them in 150, 200 and 260g weights. They have a wide temp range. Don't need washing after every ride and have served me well. The 150g's are a little thin for heavy use...

Ralph
04-22-2015, 08:54 PM
My Peal Izuma's are very lightweight. Perfect for 55 degree weather, and if it gets hotter befor you get home, no problem. And they have held up for almost 10 years of 2-3 months per year occasional riding. I like them better than leg warmers, because they stay in place. I wear them over my riding shorts, and if it gets too hot, just take them off and easily stuff in my jersey pocket.

BTW....My wife refuses to pay for bike specific products like simple tights. She has some super ligjhtweight tights she got at Walmart for $5. She likes to dig me about it. Just looking at them, they look OK.

likebikes
04-22-2015, 10:17 PM
try silkweight tights, from manufactures such as patagonia and rei (just two different ones that i have seen recently). not cycling specific though.

John H.
04-22-2015, 10:53 PM
How about a pair of these?
http://centocycling.com/shop/accessories/luze-leg-warmers-in-black-made-by-etxeondo.html
This particular leg warmers is made out of a lighter yarn. It breathes way better and works from about 50 up to 65.

thunderworks
04-23-2015, 07:10 AM
How about a pair of these?
http://centocycling.com/shop/accessories/luze-leg-warmers-in-black-made-by-etxeondo.html
This particular leg warmers is made out of a lighter yarn. It breathes way better and works from about 50 up to 65.

If you can find tights made from "dryarn", I think they would suit the OP's search. I have leg warmers made from dryarn. They are extremely comfortable and light weight. They fit great (woven rather than stitched).