PDA

View Full Version : Rec's on bike for the wife? (small frame)

DCW
04-21-2015, 11:38 AM
Does anyone have a suggestion for a respectible women's road (or, :eek: ...hybrid) bike that would be sub-$1,000?

The bike is for my wife, who is around 4'10"/4'11". We went to the LBS over the weekend, and she tried out the extra small Giant Alight for size comparison, but it looked enormous on her. I was originally thinking we should get her a frame that fits 700c wheels, but after seeing her on the XS, i may be rethinking that...

BTW, this is not for fast road riding - this is really just for her to join me and the kids on rec paths and side streets while I haul the kids in the trailer behind me. Cruisers would be an option, but there are too many hills by us, and it would be too heavy/slow for her to enjoy the ride. I think she would find it easier/funner with classic road geometry, good wheels, maybe even a flat handlebar, and definately a sloped top tube for good standover height.

Anyone have any thoughts? thanks!!

brando
04-21-2015, 11:41 AM
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/terry_womens_bikes/tailwind_womens_road.htm

mobilemail
04-21-2015, 11:58 AM
I'm pretty small for a guy - 5'4" - so I feel her pain in the sizing department. Even if you get a really small or mixte frame, the handlebars are high relative to seat and the geometry is weird - every bike is a "comfort" bike! :-) I've had good luck finding clean vintage MTBs with 26" wheels, and putting street slicks on them. Keep your eye out for a 13" frame, or 16" at most. In my area a vintage rigid MTB with Deore quality components can often be had for $100-150. They weren't quite as overbuilt as the modern MTBs, so the weight penalty isn't horrible and they have nice gear range.

Fishy1923
04-21-2015, 12:08 PM
My rec would be to figure out what size she needs and try to find a good used one in her size. I don't think you need to find a women's specific bike, just a correctly sized bike.

oldpotatoe
04-21-2015, 12:42 PM
Does anyone have a suggestion for a respectible women's road (or, :eek: ...hybrid) bike that would be sub-$1,000?

The bike is for my wife, who is around 4'10"/4'11". We went to the LBS over the weekend, and she tried out the extra small Giant Alight for size comparison, but it looked enormous on her. I was originally thinking we should get her a frame that fits 700c wheels, but after seeing her on the XS, i may be rethinking that...

BTW, this is not for fast road riding - this is really just for her to join me and the kids on rec paths and side streets while I haul the kids in the trailer behind me. Cruisers would be an option, but there are too many hills by us, and it would be too heavy/slow for her to enjoy the ride. I think she would find it easier/funner with classic road geometry, good wheels, maybe even a flat handlebar, and definately a sloped top tube for good standover height.

Anyone have any thoughts? thanks!!

Linus bikes. Makes some 26 inch wheel versions.

Linusbike.com

Ken Robb
04-21-2015, 03:03 PM
I think you can find interesting info on the Rivendell Bikes site. I agree with the previous post suggesting an old rigid mtn. bike and Riv has info/parts on making them more comfy for paved cruising.

bicimechanic
04-21-2015, 03:41 PM
Mrs. Bicimechanic is 4'11'' and rides a Trek 2200 in a 43cm with 650c wheels. This was the only stock size I could find that fit her comfortably and had a decent spec. As far as I know Trek does not make this size any more but this was the best fit for her and I picked it up used for very little $. Cannondale also made a frame in the 43cm range with 650 wheels that would have fit but she preferred the Trek.

Lucasp
04-21-2015, 06:35 PM
This has got to been one of the smallest frames sizes I've seen out there.

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/straggler_650b/geometry

roydyates
04-21-2015, 09:30 PM
My 4'11" (or maybe 5') daughter-in-law has a 43cm Specialized with 700c wheels. At this size, the 43 seat tube means almost nothing. What matters is the comfort geo they use to bring the bars close enough.

You might (naturally) think that the handling has got to be weird, except I know she is very happy. My suspicion is that this same geometry in a full size mens bike would be very weird, especially if you are used to a traditional road bike. However, I'm too big to test that hypothesis. Moreover, for my daughter-in-law, this is the only road bike she knows and she is very comfortable with it.

roguedog
04-21-2015, 10:17 PM
Take a look at the jamis coda line. Got a bike for goddaughter who is about 4'11" for under that price range. Also bianchi used to have smaller sizes when their designer was a woman..maybe they still do. Fuji might also be one to look into.

Though I think for the money and the fact you don't need a full on roadie, jamis is a great buy.

My two cents

JLP
04-21-2015, 11:43 PM
No question you want to stick to smaller wheels. 26" is the way to go. For a good value, Surly has a couple of complete builds with 26" wheels that are right around that price.

roguedog
04-22-2015, 12:12 AM
My only caution about surly or soma is their geometry.. Long top tubes so while wheel size might fit, top tube causes stretch. I've always sorta been puzzled by this myself.

May work for wife though. Just calling my observations which are worth....

GladiusXII
04-22-2015, 12:20 AM
What ever bike you get her, make sure you get smaller cranks. Because the typical stock 165mm will not do.

DCW
04-22-2015, 11:37 AM
These are all great suggestions! Thank you very much... Goes to show that you can count on the Paceline for some good advice. :hello:

Just a couple reactions to the great suggestions:

Looks like Terry bikes would have been a good suggestion for small frames spec'd for female riders, but it looks like the frame builder, Georgina Terry, has gone the custom steel frame route, and the mass market bikes don't seem to have prevalence any more. Bikes Direct only has the XL frames in stock... so that's too bad. i'm sure the custom frame would be amazing, but it's out of our price range for now.

I totally agree that the old school steel frame mountain bikes from the '90s would be perfect to build out with slick tires and upgrade with good/modern components. If anyone has a lead on a size 14 frame for <$100, i think that's a respectible option, and I would just buy and install whatver components needed. PM me if you know of something...

Linus bikes look awesome OldPotatoe - thanks for the classy suggestion.

The Surly/Jamis/Trek/Spech size 43 frame would be workable if i can find one at the LBS or get them to special order, I agree with what others have said about geometry being a concern with a 700c wheel on that size frame. If i went that route, i think i would probably shoot for a frame built around a 650 wheel. (Anyone know if they're making 27.5" mountain bikes sans heavy front shocks for just this purpose? Now that 27.5 is the new mtn. bike standard, I would think this could be explored...)

Thanks again, everyone! I'll update the thread with the outcome.

mktng
04-22-2015, 12:09 PM
this came up for sale recently. local to me.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/ottawa/bertrand-road-bike/1066137434

Betrand is a well known brand around here. On par with Marinoni.
Ad claims that this bike was actually put together by Marinoni, and sold as Bertrand.

46cm.

Henrythewound
04-22-2015, 12:26 PM
I built my wife up a Salsa Casseroll I found on Craigslist, it's a nice bike and versatile too as you can just go SS or gears. Nice relaxed geometry too

mobilemail
04-22-2015, 11:10 PM
In reference to crank length, a lot of recumbent riders are favoring short cranks, like 150mm, on their rides. If you need to retrofit (likely) , search bentrideronline.com for some possible sources. Here is a head start. http://poweroncycling.com/product/forza-short-road-crank-arms-756.htm

mktng
04-30-2015, 10:54 AM
http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/bik/5001068549.html