PDA

View Full Version : OT: Rhea Basset, we will miss you

William
04-21-2015, 10:42 AM
For those of you that remember and have met Rhea Basset, she crossed the bridge last night. Always happy and loving, even at the end. You will be missed girl, rest in peace.

Rhea Basset blast from the past...
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=14137&highlight=Rhea

BaaWoo!
BaaWoo!

William

makoti
04-21-2015, 10:48 AM
Very sorry to hear this. It always so hard to let a special companion go, even if you know it's best for them.
My thoughts are with you.

OtayBW
04-21-2015, 10:50 AM
RIP. Sorry for your loss.

AngryScientist
04-21-2015, 11:16 AM
Sad news. Dogs are the best. Hope you and the family are doing OK, losing a hound is often tougher than losing a human friend. cheers to Rhea.

JAllen
04-21-2015, 11:28 AM
Sorry for your loss, bud. I haven't been on the forum long enough to know, but I think AngyScientist said it pretty well with the reality of losing a pet being seemingly harder than the loss of your fellow man. Dogs (and for me, my cat) are truly our best friends.

Louis
04-21-2015, 12:16 PM
Sorry to hear this William - I know how much you loved her. From the pictures I've seen, I'm sure you've found a nice final resting place for her on the property.

Pets are the greatest buddies we can have.

Candyman
04-21-2015, 02:03 PM
Sorry for your loss. I've been there many times but it never gets any easier.

binxnyrwarrsoul
04-21-2015, 02:06 PM
Condolences.

jghall
04-21-2015, 02:15 PM
Sorry to hear William. Condolences.

Fatty
04-21-2015, 02:33 PM
She will be waiting for you when it's your turn to cross.

Ken Robb
04-21-2015, 03:37 PM
Sorry Pal. We had our 16 and 17 year-old bichons leave us in the same year. Coming home from the vet after the second one died we agreed through our tears that we were SO glad we were not going home to a quiet, empty house. Sure enough! There was Eric wagging his tail at the door. That helped a lot.

William
04-21-2015, 04:24 PM
Thank you for the kind words and thoughts everyone, I appreciate it very much.

Louis, we will bury her on the property next to Bruno who passed a couple of years ago.

Ken, Emmitt did greet us with a friendly wiggle of his nub when we came home which did make us feel a little better...though I think he is wondering where his buddy went.

William

tiretrax
04-21-2015, 05:48 PM
Sorry to hear about your dog, William. The next full moon won't be the same without her.

We have a puppy going through puberty. She's making every day a challenge by acting up. Probably bored as hell during the day when no one is home, and those things look so much fun to tear up - newspapers, chair cushions, etc. But, all of us take delight in her presence (despite her causing a reemergeance of my asthma and allergies).

gemship
04-21-2015, 06:00 PM
Sorry to hear about your dog, William. The next full moon won't be the same without her.

We have a puppy going through puberty. She's making every day a challenge by acting up. Probably bored as hell during the day when no one is home, and those things look so much fun to tear up - newspapers, chair cushions, etc. But, all of us take delight in her presence (despite her causing a reemergeance of my asthma and allergies).

First off...William, sorry for you loss. I just lost a cat that I had since he was a kitten this past March 13th. He died of natural causes and was by my side on his last night of nearly 17 years. He was my first and only pet from the beginning to the end. He may of lived longer had I taken him to a vet but the jury speculates most likely it wouldn't of done much good. I don't think he felt too much suffering.

My biggest regret was the allergies, hence quoting you here tiretrax. I had them and built up a tolerance but the last seven months of his life they came back in a terrible way. In fact I got a case of bronchitis then broke a rib and they just seemed to get worse after all that. Eventually the allergies lessoned but it wasn't until two weeks after his death that I became allergy free.

I miss him every day since his passing and I toy with the idea of getting another cat but then I think about my allergies and it's really hard to knowingly go thru all that again. Having said that I may get one someday. I actually browsed a pet store today while waiting for my number to be called at the motor registry and I was looking at miniature dogs. I thought about all the messes they make and how they can win over your heart no matter what the cost.

enr1co
04-21-2015, 06:50 PM
Heartfelt condolences William- Thanks for sharing her pic-what a sweetie.

Ken Robb
04-21-2015, 07:07 PM
First off...William, sorry for you loss. I just lost a cat that I had since he was a kitten this past March 13th. He died of natural causes and was by my side on his last night of nearly 17 years. He was my first and only pet from the beginning to the end. He may of lived longer had I taken him to a vet but the jury speculates most likely it wouldn't of done much good. I don't think he felt too much suffering.

My biggest regret was the allergies, hence quoting you here tiretrax. I had them and built up a tolerance but the last seven months of his life they came back in a terrible way. In fact I got a case of bronchitis then broke a rib and they just seemed to get worse after all that. Eventually the allergies lessoned but it wasn't until two weeks after his death that I became allergy free.

I miss him every day since his passing and I toy with the idea of getting another cat but then I think about my allergies and it's really hard to knowingly go thru all that again. Having said that I may get one someday. I actually browsed a pet store today while waiting for my number to be called at the motor registry and I was looking at miniature dogs. I thought about all the messes they make and how they can win over your heart no matter what the cost.
I have had dogs and cats. Sometimes I had a dog and a cat at the same time. They got along great and often slept together. Since I have learned to love small dogs I know that would be my first choice if I could have only one pet. Our malti-poo (we think) is a lot like a cat that comes when we call him. Of course we don't have to do that very often because he wants to be as close as possible if not actually sitting on us or next to us.

We recently thought about also getting a cat but there is no acceptable place in our condo for a litter box. Eric has never done anything in the house that he should have done outside. :-) I have been impressed by a couple of dogs adopted by different neighbors. One is a husky and the other a Jack Russell Terrier. The owners are young people who work full time so the dogs are in their houses for 9 hours every day and they don't seem to cause any problems. Eric likes both of his doggie pals and they often play chase-grab-ass in our shared driveway.

tiretrax
04-21-2015, 10:15 PM

Sorry to hear about your cat.

It's very strange because I've spent lots of time with other dogs, cats, horses, cows etc. over the last 15 years and had no problems. I even fostered my mother in law's dog for three months. Now, there's a problem with our Golden Doodle, which is supposed to be reduced allergens. Oh well, she's ours for four years until the oldest goes through college (I hope it's only four) and can take her.

Bruce K
04-21-2015, 10:35 PM
So sorry for you and your family, William.

She was a good dog and a great companion and family member.

BK

gasman
04-21-2015, 11:00 PM
I'm so sorry for you and your family William. It's losing a beloved member of your family.
I read a wonderful story years ago that a dog never completely goes away as they live in your heart forever.

1happygirl
04-22-2015, 09:09 AM
Much love and hugs for you and your family William.
I'm so sorry. Rhea Bassett was blessed having you for a friend and may the knowledge that you provided her with all things she loved be a comfort to you in this time.

MattTuck
04-22-2015, 09:35 AM
Sorry for you loss, William.

And yours gemship.

Animals can bring such joy, remember the good times.

DRZRM
04-22-2015, 10:07 AM
Oh man, so sorry for your loss William, I think I met Rhea at the Ramble during the storm. Best to the family.

William
04-22-2015, 05:46 PM
Thank you again everyone. Missing her but knowing where things were going it was the right thing.

Very sorry for your loss Gemship, I know exactly how you feel.

William

PS: Zach, I'm sure she drooled your shoes while we waited out the storm.;)

gemship
04-22-2015, 06:39 PM
Thank you again everyone. Missing her but knowing where things were going it was the right thing.

Very sorry for your loss Gemship, I know exactly how you feel.

William

PS: Zach, I'm sure she drooled your shoes while we waited out the storm.;)

Thank you very much as I am sorry for you loss. I would also like to thank MattTuck, Tiretrax and KenRobb for seeing my few posts and being thoughtful. It wasn't my intention to take away any attention to your loss William but your thread certainly got me thinking. I think about him every day. I talk to him a lot. There was a couple of weeks I swore I could feel him, like he was present with me at the moment. It's nice to be able to visit his grave site in my yard. I'm sure that for you and your family William this is a comfort as well.

rounder
04-22-2015, 09:48 PM
Sorry to hear about your dog William. Good pets are as good, as or better than, most good people.