PDA

View Full Version : test

shaq-d
04-18-2006, 07:50 PM
woops..for some reason i couldn't post messaegs so tried this test one..oi..

hi all.. well, i know how to measure my contact points and hvae that down pat. but recently it's become quite clear to me my stock steel torelli super strada is my favourite bike. now i'm kinda scared that if i ever crash it i won't be able to replace it, so i'm trying to measure the bike. i need tips to get this accurate.

in particular, i am having a hard time measuring the below:

top tube: i put the measuring tape on the center line of the top tube, from the center of the head tube to the center of the seat tube. this yields about a 58cm, maybe 58.5cm.

head tube: with the headset in, it measures from end to end approximately 20.4cm. i guess the proper way to measure this is without the headsets. since i have shimano 600 headsets i can measure up to where it curves out to vertical (those of u with 600s would know what i mean), which yields about 21.1cm.

chainstay length: i measure this from the middle of the bottom bracket where the spindle is (not from the outside of the crank, but i put the tape on the spindle itself) to the middle of the axle. this yields 40.5cm.

so here's why i don'ot think i'm doing it right. (1) it seems i have a 58cm top tube with a big *** headtube that's more proper for a 60/61/62cm bike. i know my head tube on my stock 58cm serotta is much smaller, around 17cm. (2) my chainstays are just 40.5cm, yet every bike geometry i look up says a 58cm or bigger bike has at least 41cm chainstays. not to mention, this bike is also my most comfortable.

does this make sense? anyone know waht the torelli super strada geometries are? they're nto made any more and not on website... i e-mailed them, hopefully i get a response..

anything woudl be appreciated.

sd

e-RICHIE
04-18-2006, 07:56 PM
catch gestalt-itis...

distance from pedal spindle to saddle - tapemeasure
distance from nose to bb center - tapemeasure & plumb bob
distance from saddle nose to stem center - tapemeasure
drop from saddle to stem - you can measure from the floor "up".

easy peasy japanese-y atmo.

shaq-d
04-18-2006, 07:58 PM
catch gestalt-itis...

distance from pedal spindle to saddle - tapemeasure
distance from nose to bb center - tapemeasure & plumb bob
distance from saddle nose to stem center - tapemeasure
drop from saddle to stem - you can measure from the floor "up".

easy peasy japanese-y atmo.

hey e-richie, isn't this more to get my fit mreasurements..? i think i have that down pretty goood.. i'm trying to get bike geometry?

sd

e-RICHIE
04-18-2006, 08:03 PM
hey e-richie, isn't this more to get my fit mreasurements..? i think i have that down pretty goood.. i'm trying to get bike geometry?

sd

these are your fit measurements

shaq-d
04-18-2006, 08:07 PM
these are your fit measurements

i know..i already have my fit measurements..i'm trying to get bike geometry measurements. or are you saying that doesn't matter, all i need is my fit measurements?

sd

e-RICHIE
04-18-2006, 08:16 PM
i know..i already have my fit measurements..i'm trying to get bike geometry measurements. or are you saying that doesn't matter, all i need is my fit measurements?

sd

kinda -
you want to be able to mimic the fit measurements on
another frame, right? you should be able to do that on
any frame that's within a cm or three of what you have.
will you like it as much? that's an issue no one can tell
until you commit.

shaq-d
04-18-2006, 08:18 PM
kinda -
you want to be able to mimic the fit measurements on
another frame, right? you should be able to do that on
any frame that's within a cm or three of what you have.
will you like it as much? that's an issue no one can tell
until you commit.

ah okay; thanks dude. twizzies.

sd

jerk
04-18-2006, 09:04 PM
e-richie is right.....but wrong.

measure saddle height from the bb spindle or center of the cranks. don't change saddle height when you change crank arm lengths imho....otherwise all the 'ish gets messed up at the top of your pedal stroke yo....

jerk

e-RICHIE
04-18-2006, 09:06 PM
e-richie is right.....but wrong.

measure saddle height from the bb spindle or center of the cranks. don't change saddle height when you change crank arm lengths imho....otherwise all the 'ish gets messed up at the top of your pedal stroke yo....

jerk

i figured any cat called shaq-d would know that
his crank length was part of this equation atmo.

jerk
04-18-2006, 09:09 PM
i figured any cat called shaq-d would know that
his crank length was part of this equation atmo.

word.

he'd probably know alot about round ball too...and singing those songs that rhyme and have the funky beats in the back ground that all the kids are into....

jerk

shaq-d
04-18-2006, 09:13 PM
lol. i do coach the kids here at the local Y the bouncing ball... but i have identical crank lengths. i just ordered the 120mm nitto stem. thatl'l get the serotta to almost exactly the same distance measurements, give or take the bb to saddle nose.. then we shall c if i love the serotta ya?

sd

Fixed
04-18-2006, 09:29 PM
bro just get grant to do it .i.m.h.o.
cheers