PDA

View Full Version : Fierte question

cydewaze
04-18-2006, 07:38 PM
As I mentioned in my first post here, I recently ordered a Fierte steel for my wife. She's VERY keen on getting it, as she has a century coming up in May and she wants to enjoy her new bike on that ride.

Unfortunately, we found out today that she won't be getting her bike until June, which has seriously bummed her out. The bike shop has a Fierte in stock in her size, but it's all steel (no carbon stays). The manager of the bike shop has two steel bikes - one with carbon stays and one without, and he went on and on about how much more comfortable the carbon stays make the bike, especially when it comes to dampening vibrations.

This is important to my wife, as the main reason for getting a new bike is to get better ride quality on the rough roads we ride on. So my question is this: since not all steel bikes are made out of the same type of steel, how important are the carbon stays on a Fierte for dampening the vibration? Is it really that big a difference on that bike, or should we not place that much importance on it?

When she test-rode the all steel Fierte, she rode it back-to-back with an all carbon bike. While she felt it took the big bumps as well as the carbon, she did notice that the carbon bike was better on the buzzy stuff. We just don't know if it having just the steel stays will help it out that much.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Smiley
04-18-2006, 08:09 PM
Not to contradict the LBS but for my money a wider tire and better wheels will do the trick . I am a conventional Steel stays type of guy :)

eddief
04-18-2006, 08:13 PM
I recently tested an all carbon bike and my impressions for non competitive century type riding would be just what you said. Carbon dampens buzz. The Giant I rode, granted it was a Giant, seemed to handle well but the few bumps I hit, I would say, were less damped than my all steels or even steel with carbon fork.

A very subjective subject.

The good thing might be if she simply has one good bike, she won't be comparing on an hourly basis and it might not make any difference in the long run. A little buzz keeps everybody smiling.

dbrk
04-18-2006, 08:17 PM
A larger tire (Smiley likely knows just how large a tire the Fierte can take), a wheelset designed not to be too stiff (say, perfectly nice handbuilt 32h Open Pros on younameit hubs), and enough air pressure to give you a good roll but not toooo pumped up...and voila, the rear end be it steel or carbon I would wager would be imperceptible in difference.

dbrk

Smiley
04-18-2006, 08:24 PM
I may also add that most STOCK wheels are probably way over built for your wifes weight . If Jeremy taught me anything its the value of a properly built wheel set to compliment the rider and his/her style. I hate seeing petite women on stupid stiff Kysrium wheels , nothing ruins a ride more then the wheels, and in reverse compliments the ride best. WHEELS , pay attention to the wheels :banana:

mwos
04-18-2006, 08:56 PM
Road buzz is a big thing for me (I'm 105 lbs), it saps my energy on long rides. I found carbon the best to reduce it. I ride an all carbon Aegis.

I demoed the Fierte Steel and thought it more like aluminum but they said it could have been the wheels.

I had Mavic Open Pros on my Aegis but switched to AC Sprint 350's, lighter, less drag in the wind. On my old steel mtn bike with wider tires I still get to much road buzz.

I'd wait it out and get the carbon seat stays.

My Ottrott is due to arrive the first of June, too! :banana:

Kathi

cydewaze
04-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Good idea re: the wheels.

The Fierte she test-rode had Easton Vista SLs, and I have no idea how they ride. They were mounted up with Conti GP 4000 tires, in a 700x23 size. I suppose I could ask for them to swap out the wheels/tires, but I have no idea what wheels ride better.

Come to think of it, I have a pair of Spinergy Rev-X's that I've been meaning to "trade in" for a set of Xaero Lites. The Xaeros have those PBO spokes, and I understand they give a better ride than regular spokes. Maybe if threw the Xaero Lites on the Fierte, it would kill some of the buzz.

Does anyone have any experience with these wheels?

Lincoln
04-18-2006, 11:56 PM
I know it would be cool for her to have a new bike for the ride but I think she should tough it out and wait for what she wants. It would suck to regret the choice for thousands of miles just have a new bike for one ride.

We could (and likely will) debate the merits of steel vs. cf stays and how a different wheel & tire combo will change things more than the stays etc etc but if in the back of her mind she's always wishing she had gone for the cf, well that would be sad.

93legendti
04-19-2006, 06:39 AM
I have a steel Fierte and I'd advise you to wait (while you're waiting check the demo pages, maybe there is one with carbon stays?). I have an Ottrott with a ti rear triangle and an Ottrott ST with the carbon stays (and the ST pivots). The Ottrott ST, even though built as a race bike for a Sierra Nevada team rider, is extremely comfortable--even more so than my Ottrott with a ti rear triangle.

The advise above about wheels and tires is correct, but if the bike's carbon stays do add comfort ( I was skeptical, but no longer!), than great wheels ( I use Jeremy@Alchemy and Speedream wheels), proper tire selection and appropriate air pressure can only give you more comfort; more choices for ride "tuning" and more hours of enjoyable cycling to a bike that is already as comfortable as your wallet and/or material preference allows.

Serpico
04-19-2006, 10:23 AM
bump

Big Dan
04-19-2006, 10:41 AM
This whole thread is amazing to say the least............ :eek:

cydewaze
04-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think we're going to go ahead and wait it out and get what she really wants. She still has her alu bike to ride until the good one comes in, and I'll try to re-arrange our season to move the long rides to the fall.

palincss
04-19-2006, 06:46 PM
Unfortunately, we found out today that she won't be getting her bike until June, which has seriously bummed her out. The bike shop has a Fierte in stock in her size, but it's all steel (no carbon stays). The manager of the bike shop has two steel bikes - one with carbon stays and one without, and he went on and on about how much more comfortable the carbon stays make the bike, especially when it comes to dampening vibrations.

This is important to my wife, as the main reason for getting a new bike is to get better ride quality on the rough roads we ride on. So my question is this: since not all steel bikes are made out of the same type of steel, how important are the carbon stays on a Fierte for dampening the vibration? Is it really that big a difference on that bike, or should we not place that much importance on it?

Smiley's spot on: wider tires, lower tire pressure. You want to ride on gravel, chipseal and alligatored blacktop all day long and feel no "buzz" and vibration at all? 38x650B tires at 50psi. Every road's a smooth road on a setup like that.

So, the big question for you is, what is the widest tire that will fit on that Fierte?

Skrawny
04-20-2006, 05:40 PM
I've ridden the legend with and without carbon seat stays, the fierte TI with and without carbon seat stays and the Meivici. I notice a significant cornering improvement with the carbon ST seat stay on the legend, but the most significant difference -across the board- is the dampening of the high frequency road buzz as you have mentioned. I think the carbon seat stays are a plus.
-s

davids
04-20-2006, 05:52 PM
I've ridden the legend with and without carbon seat stays, the fierte TI with and without carbon seat stays and the Meivici. I notice a significant cornering improvement with the carbon ST seat stay on the legend, but the most significant difference -across the board- is the dampening of the high frequency road buzz as you have mentioned. I think the carbon seat stays are a plus.
-s
I liked the full Ti Fierte better than the Ti Fierte with the CS stays. But I like the Nove better than either.

I don't know what to make of that, either. Maybe it's a fire and ice thang. Lukewarm water, atmo, bro.