PDA

View Full Version : Fondling my '04 Record Kit...

Rich_W
12-17-2003, 10:24 AM
Mind you I have no frame!!! (pretty sure its in the final phases of production)

But since I now have the record build kit... I had to unbox everything and fondle sexy componenets. :banana:

I must say '04 carbon crank is gorgeous... even without the pretty carbon weave. But when you hold it in your hands... you say *damn, that's light!*

Everything pretty much feels really light... can't wait to build this sucker.

Johny
12-17-2003, 11:49 AM
Rich,

See our pal dbrk really does not like :banana:, so I guess he may do something ilke this:crap: . dbrk, just a ;).

I should also receive my 04 Record group tomorrow (it should have arrived one week ago, but my supplier got a problem with his postal office?). I did not go for the carbon crank (well, without the pretty carbon weave, it just does not attract me. I also went for the short-cage rear derailleur in order to get the pretty carbon weave on the outside cage:)).

I will build my CTi (a 1999 version of Concurs I've recently bought. It is really pretty and like new, only used lightly for 500 miles. Hey, I am finally a Serotta owner :beer: ) up with this new group.

I just love Campy components. They are just plain beautiful. I've collected some NOS C-Record stuff. Wow, they are finished (highly polished) even better than today's Record. I saw the new Dura Ace 10 in a LBS and I am happy that I picked 04 Record first (I agree with mavic1010: too much plastic. That said, I might try DA 10 if I could get it cheap from my supplier). I've used 01 Chorus, 02 and 03 Record; I love them not just for the look but also because the ergo hoods fit my small hands better (I also have liked Ultegra 8 ad DA 9- not in the winter though- due to the frozen STI shifting).

Which frame are you getting?

To Campagnolo and Serotta,
:beer: :beer: :beer:

Johny
12-17-2003, 11:59 AM
Oops, I did not see your "contest" thread first. Congratulations on your new Ottrott ST.

Sandy
12-17-2003, 12:48 PM
LONG LIVE THE DANCING BANANAS!

KING KONG

vaxn8r
12-18-2003, 02:05 AM
Like you Rich, my build kit arrived last Saturday. No frame yet. I got to unpack everything and it's kind of fun. I've never had the "build from the ground up" experience.

I went with DA over Record. I was originally set on Campy R with Carbon cranks until sticker shock set in. Since I already knew DA shifts better, the price difference became too much to ignore. For me about the price of the wheelset!

I know you'll like Record. Honestly, it's all good stuff. I recently bought an Atlanta with Ultegra 9 and it performs as good as anything I've ever used, including Record 9 (Don't have Record 10).

Having said all that, the finish of the Shimano is impressive. My test ride was pretty good too. Rode a new Beer Can...er Cannondale, DA 10 around the block 4-5 times. Perty nice bike. But what is up with the matte black Rustolium finish? Have you guys seen this thing? Man! I guess if the bike is merely a tool Cannondale is on to something.