PDA

View Full Version : Rides in and around Seattle

etu
04-20-2015, 10:37 AM
I will be visiting Seattle for a conference this week. Looking for recommendations for a nice early morning loop (15-30mi) from downtown (Hyatt Olive 8) as well as something longer for an afternoon or even a full day. I'd be interested in taking the train out of the city for a hilly 50-60mile ride out in the countryside. Thanks.

KidWok
04-20-2015, 11:29 AM
No need to take the train out of town to ride 50-60. Heck...I can string together a 50 mile hilly ride just in the city!

Here's a great all-day route for you: http://www.seattlebiketours.org/members/maps/seattle_bainbridge_kitsap_bremerton.pdf

I recommend a detour off this route...take a left at Lemolo to go through Poulsbo and stop at Sluys for a snack.

Shoot me a message if you want some company. I could duck out for a 30-40 miler around the city and take you on my favorite training route.

Tai

pjmsj21
04-20-2015, 11:42 AM
Here is an option worth considering: http://www.mapmyride.com/us/bainbridge-island-wa/chilly-hilly-route-1490505

Bainbridge Island is a 35 minute ferry ride from downtown Seattle. It will provide you with a semi rural small town (Winslow) atmosphere with plenty of short (for the NW) hills and great scenery.

tiretrax
04-20-2015, 11:45 AM
Chuckanutt Road ride from Bellingham. Still memorable 5 years later. Also, there's an island in Lake Washington that has a fantastic road around it.

drewellison
04-20-2015, 12:01 PM
Riding around Lake Washington is a pleasant loop (55 miles I think?). I would recommend skipping the southern end of the lake and cross I-90 bridge and across Mercer Island. The loop around Mercer Island is very nice by itself or as an addition to the Lake Washington loop.
There are certainly some nice little risers all over Seattle, including on the rides mentioned.
These roads are easily found on Google maps, Strava or other GPS sites.
Drew

ojingoh
04-20-2015, 12:30 PM
Riding around Mercer Island from where you're at is your best bet, about 23 miles or so.
The north loop of Lake Washington -- north of Mercer Island -- is about 38 miles, depending on how traffic or speed adverse you are when you hit Bellevue. Excellent riding. Some Hills, nothing requiring climbing gears.

The south loop -- south of Mercer Island -- is a bit less scenic, somewhat easier. I want to say 29 miles. Basically flat. A lot of glass on the roads though.

Run out to Lake Sammamish is fun. You cross over you guessed it Mercer Island. I want to say that's about 45 miles from the downtown, out to the lake, around the lake and back. Fairly flat.

Finally, you can do some very graded (2-3%) multi-use trail gravel riding by hitting up the Iron Horse trail and heading out past Snoqualmie Falls or Fall City. Get to Iron Horse State Park, which you get to by going through Mercer island :D

But the route I've ridden a million times is from where you are go to West Seattle along Alki Beach and Beach Drive out to Lincoln Park. Very little traffic. From downtown it's about 20 miles in a loop.

mhespenheide
04-20-2015, 12:43 PM
For the shorter ride, you could head over the West Seattle Bridge and around to Alki Beach and back. Not a loop, but a nice out-and-back.

lovethesport
04-20-2015, 12:59 PM
Coincidently, I may be coming to Seattle as well while my wife is at a
horticulture convention the later part of September. I will not be bringing
my bike so will need a recommendation of a bike shop which rents upper
end bikes...and would love to ride with anyone or have a rec for a afternoon
shop group ride.
Thanks

rwsaunders
04-20-2015, 02:44 PM
Somewhat of a full day ride from where you're staying. Ride from the Hyatt to the ferry at Fauntleroy (8mi). Once you get off of the ferry, the route is very uncontested and a nice loop with food and water along the way. The Olive is very nice btw.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Downtown,+Seattle,+WA/Fauntleroy+Ferry+Terminal,+Seattle,+WA+98136/@47.5641106,-122.4091215,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x54906ab6b12257 2d:0x4cc65f51348e1d43!2m2!1d-122.3343709!2d47.6050242!1m5!1m1!1s0x549041494db28 f59:0x11588e5697fd44b!2m2!1d-122.3940286!2d47.5232072!3e1

http://www.wsdot.com/ferries/schedule/ScheduleDetailByRoute.aspx?route=f-v

http://www.stov.us/32MileBikeRide.pdf

dan682
04-20-2015, 03:04 PM
What rwsaunders said... Vashon is one of my favorites.

For something shorter, head over to Magnolia, including the descent down to the lighthouse at Discovery Park, walk across the locks, ride up to golden gardens, back through ballard and fremont. PM me if you want Strava links to some routes.

Lovethesport, what size frame do you ride? I have a few spare bikes, 54-55cm.

etu
04-20-2015, 05:50 PM
Thanks for all the great info!

Tai,
If you're up for a relaxed ride, I'd love to have company. I'll shoot you a pm and maybe we can find a time that works for both of us!

04-20-2015, 06:24 PM
From downtown you can ride north by a variety of approaches, including the trail along the waterfront (my recommendation) as far as Dravus. This is like the next to last major intersection before you cross the ship canal. Go left on Dravus and up the hill. It's not all that hard ... something like the l'Angliru -- and a big ring and a 23 bottom cog are all you need. At the top, coast down and repeat.

You have people here sending you a hundred miles away or on long rides out into the sticks. I mean way out there. Frankly, it bores the hell out of locals but you can ride up north out of town on the Burke Gilman Trail (which you can catch just a short hop from downtown). It's very pretty and when you get up to Woodinville, there are hundreds of ways to go. And it's hard to get lost on the Burke Gilman. If you make it on a Friday, you can go all the way around the lake on the Burke Gilman (which turns into the Sammamish River Trail) and go down to Marymoor Velodrome, and from there head over the ridge into the Sammamish River Valley to Fall City and Carnation. Beautiful little roads, light traffic.

If you want to try something very picturesque, I'd second Bainbridge Island. It's a great loop and with a detailed map you can work in a few extra detours that the Chilly Hilly leaves off, such as Toejam Hill and Sturges Road. Ride your bike off the ferry and back. If you want a longer ride, at Agate Pass Bridge just go over Agate Pass (what else) and as someone said above, ride the sucky busy Rte 305 for about 3 miles or so until you can make a left on Lemolo. That takes you right into Poulsbo, from which you can take lots of routes northward, but honestly, they are nice but not killer if you've seen great places around the country. (I lived on Bainbridge for 12 years until last year so yes, I know those roads well.)

As someone above said, you absolutely don't need wheels except the two-wheeled kind to get to good rides from where you'll be. Your fastest route is to take the Burke Gilman and get the hell out of town that way. The shortest is to go down to the Bainbridge ferry, but you'll spend time waiting and then riding the ferry each way -- a very beautiful thing but it does detract from riding time.

BTW, on Bainbridge there are two superb bike shops, Classic Cycles (right off the ferry to the right) and BI Cycles (about a half mile down Winslow Way to the left, then a couple quick jogs). Classic has a superb antique bike collection and lots of great contemporary eye candy. The owner these days used to be a US national team member and is a good wrench and great guy. BI Cycles is possibly a little more oriented towards the randonneur/touring/commuter crowd, but has nice stuff and great people. Between them, they have pretty much anything you might lust for.

KidWok
04-21-2015, 12:21 AM
We should post time/location here and see how many Paceliners we can get in a paceline.:banana:
Tai

Thanks for all the great info!

Tai,
If you're up for a relaxed ride, I'd love to have company. I'll shoot you a pm and maybe we can find a time that works for both of us!

lovethesport
04-21-2015, 09:41 AM
What rwsaunders said... Vashon is one of my favorites.

For something shorter, head over to Magnolia, including the descent down to the lighthouse at Discovery Park, walk across the locks, ride up to golden gardens, back through ballard and fremont. PM me if you want Strava links to some routes.

Lovethesport, what size frame do you ride? I have a few spare bikes, 54-55cm.

I would need approx. 60cm...thanks though!!

KidWok
04-28-2015, 02:02 AM
Nice ride with Ed! He bought me lunch afterwards!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c151/TaiLee77/Mobile%20Uploads/20150423_110039_zpsq0erlnej.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c151/TaiLee77/Mobile%20Uploads/20150423_111159_zps3mqnyjfv.jpg

Tai

KidWok
04-28-2015, 02:06 AM
Hit me up! My bikes are about your size!

Tai

Coincidently, I may be coming to Seattle as well while my wife is at a
horticulture convention the later part of September. I will not be bringing
my bike so will need a recommendation of a bike shop which rents upper
end bikes...and would love to ride with anyone or have a rec for a afternoon
shop group ride.
Thanks

etu
05-04-2015, 06:49 PM
Want to thank Tai for a great ride around Seattle. Was able to get in another ride along the Burke Gilman Trail and even a trip to Vashon Island with an old friend.
Stating the obvious, but there is great riding easily from downtown if you're visiting this beautiful city AND gracious paceliners to join you for a ride. Highly recommended. Really appreciate the forum. Thanks again Tai!

CaptStash
05-05-2015, 12:41 AM
Dang! How'd I miss this? I would have loved to tag along.

CaptStash....