PDA

View Full Version : Your Stem Is Too Long

Kirk Pacenti
04-20-2015, 10:06 AM
This one is for the mountain bikers here.

http://nsmb.com/pacenti-pdent/

Cheers,
KP

makoti
04-20-2015, 10:19 AM

Cheers,
KP

Thanks for this. I have often wondered why the stems on mtn bikes were so damn short. Now I know.

weisan
04-20-2015, 10:22 AM
don't make it too short or else Chris Froome might not have much to stare down at...I mean, when he retires from road and goes back to his roots (http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cycling/23397238).

http://fcdn.roadbikereview.com/attachments/lounge/296648d1402589095-chris-froome-looking-stems-img_00000089.jpg

JAGI410
04-20-2015, 10:39 AM
Interesting for sure. I'm riding an 18" On-One 45650B, with a 90mm stem. On-One suggests a 50mm stem, but it seems like that would really make the bike feel cramped. If I were to plan ahead for the "Pacenti optimized" cockpit, would I need to get a bike with a longer top tube to compensate?

93legendti
04-20-2015, 10:49 AM
Very cool.

thirdgenbird
04-20-2015, 11:30 AM
I'm still riding an old school hardtail with a 130-140mm stem...

Mayhem
04-20-2015, 11:35 AM

Same here. Downhill bikes have always had stubby stems, for the reasons listed in the article. I don't like them for cross country. I had some model of Gary Fisher @'00 or '01 when he came out with his new geometry with a long top tube and short stem. I never did like the feel of it, especially climbing.

cmbicycles
04-20-2015, 11:39 AM

I guess you also hadn't heard that older bikes aren't compatible with 2015 trails, that's probably why mine keeps crashing. I suppose I need to upgrade to a newer platform... its definitely not the rider. ;) :bike:

bobswire
04-20-2015, 11:39 AM
I always purchased smaller Mnt frames because the top tubes were longer than I prefer for my riding style. I didn't mind since I could manhandle them easier but 29ers were out of the question, felt like I was riding a Harley with monkey bars. That stem makes sense.

Mikej
04-20-2015, 12:27 PM
Im not into the short mtb stem thing, in fact, to me, that article was contradictory -short stems do not enhance a longer top tube, they are the result of a longer top tube. Seat tube angles that are steeper do not benefit "putting you in a better pedaling position" they just bring you closer to the bars, again another result of a longer top tube. The sta being steeper may be more comfortable for mtb climbing. The steeper sta that brings you more forward is not going to prevent you from going over the bars. In fact all of that "quickness" may put you over the bars on the downhill side. And wouldn't the bar shape reach be the same without the forward then backward bend of that bar with a std bar and stem? Plus I don't care for the looks. I run a 120. I ride xc. This is all my opinion, yours may vary.

thirdgenbird
04-20-2015, 01:13 PM
I guess you also hadn't heard that older bikes aren't compatible with 2015 trails, that's probably why mine keeps crashing. I suppose I need to upgrade to a newer platform... its definitely not the rider. ;) :bike:

Does your have a short little 25.4mm bars, rim brakes and tiny rims too?

All joking aside, I love my bike but would jump at the chance to try a modern 650b hardtail.

Lucasp
04-20-2015, 03:39 PM
But where are you going to put your label maker motivation?

John H.
04-20-2015, 03:41 PM
I think stem length should be fit driven. A short stem that overly shortens your reach is a bad thing.
That said, you need a shorter stem with wider bars.

rcnute
04-20-2015, 04:08 PM
:eek:

Bob Ross
04-20-2015, 04:16 PM
Ironically, I have a 7-year-old note in my Inbox here from Kirk in which he wrote "The handling of the bike with a short stem is what would concern me more than the fit. In an ideal world, I might suggest a 1cm shorter TT and go with an 11cm stem to get a little more weight over the front wheel."

...but we weren't talking about mountain bikes. :)

1X10
04-20-2015, 04:33 PM

Cheers,
KP

I read the write up on Pinkbike...Good stuff and makes A LOT of sense...

Kirk Pacenti
04-20-2015, 06:28 PM
Ironically, I have a 7-year-old note in my Inbox here from Kirk in which he wrote "The handling of the bike with a short stem is what would concern me more than the fit. In an ideal world, I might suggest a 1cm shorter TT and go with an 11cm stem to get a little more weight over the front wheel."

...but we weren't talking about mountain bikes. :)

Bob,

Yep, I remember that well. And I stand by that comment considering we were discussing road bikes at the time.

But MTB design has finally (thankfully?) started evolving away from their road bike roots and designers are creating geometries intended to handle the demands riders are putting on their machines today. Think less Breezer Klunker and more CRF450R.

I doubt XC racers will ever adopt stems as short as what's going on with trail bikes right now, but I would not be at all surprised to see XC geometry evolve to the point where 60-70mm stems were the norm. That said XC bikes (imo) have more in common with road bikes, than they do with what I would consider a true "mountain" bike. ymmv. ;)

Cheers,
KP

tylerbick
04-20-2015, 06:32 PM
Awesome!!

fourflys
04-20-2015, 08:55 PM
So once I move, I'll be building up a mid-90's steel Ibis Mojo... thoughts on a shorter stem and it might handle Kirk? Is there an advantage on the older bikes to a shorter stem as well?

Tony
04-20-2015, 09:19 PM
Bob,

Yep, I remember that well. And I stand by that comment considering we were discussing road bikes at the time.

But MTB design has finally (thankfully?) started evolving away from their road bike roots and designers are creating geometries intended to handle the demands riders are putting on their machines today. Think less Breezer Klunker and more CRF450R.

I doubt XC racers will ever adopt stems as short as what's going on with trail bikes right now, but I would not be at all surprised to see XC geometry evolve to the point where 60-70mm stems were the norm. That said XC bikes (imo) have more in common with road bikes, than they do with what I would consider a true "mountain" bike. ymmv. ;)

Cheers,
KP

Got a chance to try many different full suspension bikes at Sea Otter this weekend. Kirk, very happy I took your advice and ordered a large instead of the medium. The longer tt, shorter stem felt better for my riding style.
Thank you!