PDA

View Full Version : Brake pad holder question

LegendRider
04-20-2015, 12:05 AM
Hopefully this isn't too dumb of a question, but what is the small screw on the shark fin for?

guyintense
04-20-2015, 12:14 AM
Shimano calls it a tire guide.

Dead Man
04-20-2015, 12:18 AM
It's a rim ····er. When you smoke a set of pads, that stupid little thing will rake your rims and ···· them all up.

Why the crap would it be called a "tire guide?" It's on the wrong side of the shoe

Not doubting you - just wondering why.

bagochips3
04-20-2015, 12:19 AM
Tire guide screw. For deep section rims, the plastic screw hits the rim before the metal holder alerting you to replace the pads before damage occurs.

Source: http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/6164/what-is-the-purpose-of-the-tire-guide-screws-on-shimano-brakes

JAllen
04-20-2015, 01:49 AM
I don't know about you guys, but my brake pads never get that low before changing. Have any of you let them get that far???

oldpotatoe
04-20-2015, 06:22 AM
I don't know about you guys, but my brake pads never get that low before changing. Have any of you let them get that far???

In the shop, saw that all the time..Even a few so low that the metal of the holder on the rim.."What's that noise?"

Black Dog
04-20-2015, 06:31 AM
It's a rim ····er. When you smoke a set of pads, that stupid little thing will rake your rims and ···· them all up.

Why the crap would it be called a "tire guide?" It's on the wrong side of the shoe

Not doubting you - just wondering why.

Umm, it is a tire guide, in that it guides the tire between the brake pads during a wheel change.

JAllen
04-20-2015, 09:42 AM
In the shop, saw that all the time..Even a few so low that the metal of the holder on the rim.."What's that noise?"
I suppose you'd see it all in a shop. That made me cringe to read. I can't even imagine...

Dead Man
04-20-2015, 10:04 AM

Several times.. Only once all the way to the rim, though.. And that little plastic thing drew a nice ugly ass ring around the rim.

Neglectful? Probably... But you waste pads really fast when you're doing long bombs in the rain. I've smoked DA pads in a few weeks. That's just not a lot of margin.

oldpotatoe
04-20-2015, 01:09 PM
I suppose you'd see it all in a shop. That made me cringe to read. I can't even imagine...

Guy comes in with avid BB7....making an awful noise...take a look and the pads aren't even in there, he adjusted the puck, the thing that pushes against the pad, so it hit the rotor...such stories I have. Oy vey.