PDA

View Full Version : Shimano 5800 vs 6800 pedals

ontarget
04-19-2015, 07:35 PM
Just bought a new-to-me bike and need some pedals for it. I have SPD-SL on other bikes, so want to stick with the same due to familiarity and cleat compatability. I was going to go 6800, but noticed that 5800 is only a few grams more. Can anyone tell me any other advantages to 6800 that justify the increased cost?

As an aside, this bike is Campy equipped, which is a first for me. I really just wanted the frame, but the seller would only sell the complete bike ... with Campy Record. I'm open minded to giving it a try, and will buy a 6800 groupset if I don't like it. Is it sacrilegious to use Shimao pedals on an otherwise all Campy bike?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

vav
04-19-2015, 07:40 PM
Sacrilegious? No. SPD-SL Shimano pedals are one of the best (if not THE best) pedals out there. Plenty of die-hard Campagnolo users go Shimano on their feet.

ontarget
04-19-2015, 07:44 PM
Thanks, vav. That's good to know. Honestly, I never really pay attention to what pedals others are using .... but I'm going to start!

AngryScientist
04-19-2015, 07:45 PM
there is a huge difference in the bearings between dura ace level pedals and ultegra/105. once you're past that, i cant see any reason to buy 6800 over 5800 pedals.

spd-sl's on all of my road bikes and my gravel bike. most of them are campy. spd-sl's are the best road pedals available, IMO.

Cicli
04-19-2015, 07:48 PM
I use Ultegras. There is no better pedal out there. I have tried others but always end up on the SL's.

The only problem would be you replacing Record with Ultegra.

ontarget
04-19-2015, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I know the bearings are different (superior) on Dura Ace, but I don't think I need that level nor need to spend that much. I'm just trying to figure out any significant differences between 105 and Ultegra. If Ultegra is truly better then that's the route I'll go. Either way, I'm sticking with SPD-SL.

Thanks again!

Cicli
04-19-2015, 08:05 PM
I say go for the 105. There is very little if any difference.

04-19-2015, 10:32 PM
I've been finding that the Ultegra at least feels smoother than the 105, and it also lasts longer, especially after a few servicings. Not a statistical sampling, but the 6800 Ultegra group is just amazing, pedals included. For just a few bucks (less than $30) more, it's a component that endures more bearing and working surface stress than almost any other part on the bike. The Ultegra pedal also looks less worn after six months or a year, compared to the 105. I wouldn't have said this about past generations, but 6800 is really something.

All that said, I've also been seeing sales on 9000 pedals for $168-175. They are on Amazon right now for $173. If you can find a similar price, you might just want to consider them -- roughly $50 over Ultegra. They have more durability in my experience than 105 and are simply easier to disassemble and service.

I used some 6500 Ultegra along with my normal Dura Ace back when and really liked some of the components; others weren't as impressive. With 6600 and 6700 there was still a big gap. With 6800, it's almost a mistake on Shimano's part -- it cannibalizes Dura Ace, at least insofar as my race usage is concerned. At races I see 6800 everywhere because it is so inexpensive, so good, and an amazing deal. And 6870 is an amazing deal if you want to go electronic. Huge price differential from Ultegra to Dura Ace, and if you want to race cries I'd tell you to get Ultegra every time. Shimano has done really well with this generation of components at all levels.

ontarget
04-20-2015, 04:49 PM
I've looked at 6800 a bit and have been impressed with the groupset as a whole. Seems like excellent value, and takes any desire away to spend the money for Dura Ace. Thanks for your comments.

gavingould
04-21-2015, 08:03 PM
I've run Shimano SPD-SL pedals for years, 5700 and lower. Never wore them out, never needed service. Pavement, gravel, rain, whatever.

dcama5
04-21-2015, 08:08 PM
Like many others in this thread, I have had SPD-SLs on my (two) road/gravel bikes for a number of years. I cannot say that they are the best, but they are pretty dang good.

R3awak3n
04-21-2015, 08:12 PM
I just purchased 6800 pedals and so far they seem great, only have used them on the trainer but happy with them. Switched from speed play.

I never had 105s but I am sure they are as good but just a tad heavier 25g to be precise. If you don't care about that and want to save money I would go for the 105s.

I did get my 6800 for $80 from probikekit which is the same price of the 105s in the US, I also cared that they were a tiny bit lighter since they were going on the light bike but none of the shimano pedals are actually light, at least compared to speedplay, time or look. I also didnt want to pay much more for the dura ace which is barely lighter (sure bearings might be better but the ultegras are fantastic).

ontarget
04-21-2015, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the responses, everyone. The newest Shimano pedals I own are 5700C (carbon), which look just like 5800 (which look quite like 6800). The 5700C have been great. I've got a couple thousand miles on them and they've performed flawlessly and look like new.

Still not sure which I'll go with yet ....