PDA

View Full Version : WAY OT: Chest Fever?

OtayBW
04-19-2015, 03:34 PM
Guess I must be a little tired and punchy after a fairly vigorous ride today, but I was wondering whatever happened to Garth Hudson? No, I don't want to look him up on Wiki-Garth; just wondering if any of you all have had any sightings or run-ins, or knowledge of what he's been up to musically in the last years? Amazingly creative guy.....

Anyone?

Richard
04-19-2015, 07:04 PM
Lives in Woodstock, NY. Have seen him around now and then. Recently was or will be (can't remember the dates) into the blues hall of fame in NYC. Very talented musician.

djg21
04-19-2015, 07:42 PM
He's still playing music and recently was producing other artists.

http://www.garthhudson.com/news/news.html

jmeloy
04-19-2015, 07:53 PM
Yep, Garth still makes great music. He and Robbie are the last of the Band. Amazing group.

Dave Ferris
04-19-2015, 11:10 PM
Back in my early '20s , the Band were my "Beatles ". :cool:

Garth was possibly one of the most brilliant, and certainly unique , of all rock keyboard players. While the default choice on organ has always been the Hammond B-3, Garth broke ranks and found a new sonic palette with the Lowery organ. He was / is a great R&R pianist too.

A keyboard player friend of mine lives on Long Island and occasionally goes upstate to play with that group of Woodstock guys -- the Levon Helm band at the barn, Donald Fagen and friends. He sees Garth and his wife frequently too he said.

Glad to see he's still active and vibrant. He (along with the whole Band ) was certainly a huge influence to me in my early years before I turned to jazz.

dyerwolf
04-20-2015, 06:13 AM
When I hear that organ intro, I just get so pumped. What an amazing "band." Recently saw an interesting videodoc (maybe rollingstone.com) about him returning to the big pink house... Very cool. Worth searching the interwebs for.

OtayBW
04-20-2015, 09:08 AM
Cool to hear interested Band and Garth fans coming out of the woodwork. I saw them play during the last week of December in 1971 at the Academy of Music in NYC on one of the 5 nights that they were recording Rock of Ages. Garth launched a ~20 minute solo on Chest Fever, and when the band finally kicked in, it was like the place just went through the roof. Nice memory...

schwa86
04-20-2015, 09:45 AM
The Band is my band too! I am just a touch too young to have seen them live in the original lineup, I did see the post Robbie reunified 4-some play circa 1983. Its been fun watching my 19 y.o. son (who is of the Avett Bros alt-americana ilk) reach back to find them. There is a good Levon Helm documentary up on Netflix at the moment BTW... http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70134675?trkid=13462450

Plum Hill
04-20-2015, 11:35 AM
The Band played the Mississippi River Festival in '69 and '70. Some guy named Dylan walked onstage the first time, but the highlight was in '70 when Hudson did an extended intro on Chest Fever. Amazing.
I've often wondered what it would be like to hear the same on a church pipe organ.

I've noticed te local St. Louis stations have taken a likening to It Makes No Difference lately. I don't think I ever heard that song in it's heyday.

OtayBW
04-20-2015, 11:47 AM
I've noticed te local St. Louis stations have taken a likening to It Makes No Difference lately.It Makes No Difference is one of my favorite songs of all time - any genre, any artist. Absolutely gut-wrenching.

dyerwolf
04-20-2015, 06:03 PM
Well hello fellow Band fans.While this was said of deadheads, it's universal to the Band's fans too, we are everywhere! Rock of ages is a seminal live album and benchmark of their career! Lucky you to have been at the Academy. So jealous.