PDA

View Full Version : Be careful out there

bcroslin
04-18-2015, 06:19 PM
We had a bad crash on our ride this morning. Dislocated hip - maybe fractured. Broken collar bone and a few people with some serious road rash. I was in front of it and didn't see it but heard all of it and that's almost as bad.

Please remember, all it takes is a moment of being careless and you can change someoe else's life dramatically. All it took this morning was one small mistake and a friend is in the ICU waiting to have his hip fixed in the morning.

shovelhd
04-18-2015, 06:20 PM
What happened?

firerescuefin
04-18-2015, 06:21 PM
Which ride? St. Pete bike club?

bcroslin
04-18-2015, 06:55 PM
St Pete training ride. Mistake was made and 3 riders went down.

FL_MarkD
04-18-2015, 06:59 PM
Sorry to hear it, I ride 'up county' with Suncoast Cycling. You are right, in the big groups it doesn't take much to cause a big problem. Hope all heal quickly.

christian
04-18-2015, 07:40 PM
Shovel - had a bunch of the Brauer boys in the 40+ race in Prospect Park today. I didn't see the finish as I was corralling 5s. Hope you guys had a good outing. Didn't see you or I would've said hi obviously.

shovelhd
04-18-2015, 08:14 PM
Christian, I'm out of action. I crashed hard at Ninigret two weeks ago. I broke two ribs, my hand, my clavicle, and punctured my lung. I have a pin in my clavicle that won't come out until July at the earliest. I hope to be riding outside again in August.

Gary took 2nd.

bcroslin
04-18-2015, 08:20 PM
Christian, I'm out of action. I crashed hard at Ninigret two weeks ago. I broke two ribs, my hand, my clavicle, and punctured my lung. I have a pin in my clavicle that won't come out until July at the earliest. I hope to be riding outside again in August.

Gary took 2nd.

Holy crap, that sounds awful and is a reminder of why I switched to MTB and CX racing. Get well soon.

christian
04-18-2015, 09:00 PM
Chris - Really sorry to hear that. Heal fast and feel better!

paredown
04-18-2015, 10:47 PM

Gary took 2nd.

As a friend said about broken ribs: "I'd rather take a beating!" I hate broken ribs!!

Heal fast.

beeatnik
04-18-2015, 10:54 PM
Yikes! A timely thread as I've been reconsidering my participation in the World Famouz Rose Bowl "training crit." The ride is a victim of its own success and becomes exponentially more treacherious as the peloton has grown from 75 to 150ish this season. The first major crash occurred last week. 10-12 guys went down:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8686/17194758565_f0b3c18b18_o.jpg

shovelhd
04-19-2015, 06:35 AM
Holy crap, that sounds awful and is a reminder of why I switched to MTB and CX racing. Get well soon.

It had nothing to do with sketchy riders and everything to do with racing on an open course with 50mph wind gusts. I was third wheel and second wheel got blown across my front taking me down hard. Not his fault. I should not have been racing that day. Bad decision.

OtayBW
04-19-2015, 06:59 AM
Sorry to hear this and GL with the recovery. We have really had some exceptional wind here lately on the East Coast...

malcolm
04-19-2015, 08:29 AM
Speedy recovery shovel and the rest.

If your clavicle is pinned talk to the orthopedist and if everything else is healing up they may let you loose early. My understanding if it's plated or pinned you can get back to activity much sooner than the old days with they left them overlapped to just heal on their own. Grain of salt though as I'm certainly no orthopedist.

shovelhd
04-19-2015, 09:05 AM
I rode the trainer yesterday and will again today or tomorrow. My orthopedic doctor is a bike racer as well so I am in good hands. He used what is called a Rockwood pin. It screws in, and comes out 10-14 weeks later. The bid was shattered so surgery was not an option.

Tandem Rider
04-19-2015, 12:46 PM
Ouch Shovel, your story made my ribs hurt again just hearing it. Fortunately they heal enough to ride ok in a couple weeks. That clavicle, and lung, however, dang! What's the prognosis on the lung? Hang in there.

shovelhd
04-19-2015, 03:01 PM
The lung is all healed up. I can peg the spirometer at 5000. The hand will be looked at again in two weeks to determine if the splint can be removed then. The ribs and the clavicle are what causes pain for most of the day. I rode the trainer yesterday and today, all Z1, nice and easy. No issues. Felt good. Thanks everyone for your kind words.

marciero
04-19-2015, 05:37 PM
Indeed-heal well. Having complained recently about said wind on recent rides, I feel more than a little sheepish.

bcroslin
04-19-2015, 06:09 PM
Good news on my friend who went down: he only dislocated his hip and they were able to pop it back in this afternoon and not do surgery.

shovelhd
04-19-2015, 06:26 PM
Great news. When can he ride again?

bcroslin
04-19-2015, 06:53 PM
He was told 3 months but he's a doctor so I'm guessing he'll ride when he thinks he's able. I bet he'll be back out in 4-6 weeks. This is a guy who's had both hips replaced and was back on the bike in short order both times. It was mind blowing to watch him interacting with the paramedics yesterday. Once he got his wits about him he started making phone calls and self-diagnosing before they put him on a morphine drip. I would have been a howling mess calling for my mommy and he was cool and collected. I didn't even mention that he hit head first and rang his bell pretty good as well.

R3awak3n
04-19-2015, 07:04 PM
I broke my ankle in December and finally was told I could get back on the trainer, and bike during my physical therapy. I feel like I probably could have started sooner but doctor said no and I followed his orders.

I didn't brake it on the bike and broke it pretty bad (ankle and messed up tendons, my foot was 90 degrees from what it should be) so be careful out there, on or off the bike.

JAllen
04-20-2015, 01:36 AM
My goodness people! To all of you forumites and friends of, heal up quickly! I hate to hear of anyone getting banged up.

sailorboy
04-22-2015, 05:19 AM
Wow, some of you have some very understanding significant others (if applicable). Going back to masters hobby racing after getting surgically put back together??

I am pretty sure I'm done with weekend road racing after a nasty crash last year from which I was fortunate to walk away. About 7 other guys weren't. 30-strong field sprint, tailwind and slightly downhill. two morons who were about 15 back from the front decide they can just go from the left side of the road to the right completely off their lines, take out several guys like dominoes instantly. For me it was that instant endo from someone right down in front of your wheel, no reaction possible. And this was the cat 3 field so should've been reasonably experienced racers who don't do stupid ·····.

I decided it was a good message to walk away before a life-changing injury. Cyclocross and fondos/adventure rides will be just fine for me now thank you very much.

shovelhd
04-22-2015, 11:20 AM
I officiate cyclocross. Riders get carried out in ambulances in cross races too. Crashing and sustaining major damage is not limited to road racing. To think otherwise is biased.

I haven't decided what to do about racing yet. I have been doing it a very long time and I have had a lot of success. The only goal I need to focus on right now is getting back on the bike on the road. One step at a time.

Yes I do have an understanding wife.

sailorboy
04-22-2015, 12:36 PM
Well, good luck with your recovery. You're a braver man than I.

And if I'm biased, it's from the fact that I have mixed it up with way more frequency in cross and at a higher level than I have on the road the past few seasons and despite hitting the ground a few times, was never really injured by it. Only time I've seen otherwise in cross was when a guy took his hands off the bars and sat up crossing the finish line and endo'd when his wheel hit a rut. Instant snapped collorbone but 100% his fault and preventable.

I guess my point is I feel cross is a much safer way to get your competitive fix and the biggest risk is usually a slight stack-up fighting for positions going into the first couple turns but injuries are few and far between.

45K10
04-22-2015, 01:01 PM
Shovelhd, sorry to hear about the crash. Heal up quick and take care!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zap
04-22-2015, 01:12 PM
snip

I haven't decided what to do about racing yet. I have been doing it a very long time and I have had a lot of success. The only goal I need to focus on right now is getting back on the bike on the road. One step at a time.

Heal well and enjoy the upcoming rides.

vqdriver
04-22-2015, 01:53 PM
Yikes! A timely thread as I've been reconsidering my participation in the World Famouz Rose Bowl "training crit." The ride is a victim of its own success and becomes exponentially more treacherious as the peloton has grown from 75 to 150ish this season. The first major crash occurred last week. 10-12 guys went down:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8686/17194758565_f0b3c18b18_o.jpg

the tuesday/thursday ride? too agro for my taste. i stopped riding that after seeing some really distasteful behavior involving stroller pushers, drivers, joggers, kids on bikes, etc... i felt so dirty afterwards. needs to be disbanded imo.