PDA

View Full Version : Avocet 45 -- The Best Cyclometer?

Keith A
04-18-2006, 10:11 AM
I have tried a number of bike computers, but I still like my Avocet 45 cyclometer the best. It is so simple to use, the numbers are nice and big and the buttons have good feedback -- so you know if you pressed them or not. Yeah, they aren't wireless, so you have to deal with the wires -- which it doesn't look as clean as the wireless setups.

And after watching the prices of these on eBay, it seems that I'm not the only one that likes this cyclometer. One recently sold on eBay for almost $60, which is around or a little more than what these went for when new.

It's too bad this product died and it would have been great if this would have been made as a wireless unit. So why doesn't another company duplicate this unit and update this to be wireless?

Are there any other cyclometers that are as good as this one?

Sandy
04-18-2006, 10:18 AM
I agree. I gave up trying to even buy one of those. Wonderful computer.

Sandy

Squint
04-18-2006, 10:24 AM
Hmmm...I hope I still have my 45. I haven't been able to find it. I did find my 40. I hope the 45 turns up someday...

Keith A
04-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Squint -- Let us know if you locate this and are interested in finding a new home for it.

BTW, the only minor problem all mine have had is not keeping track of time very good. They are all fast and I have to reset them every now and then.

Brons2
04-18-2006, 11:16 AM
I have the cheapest Cateye made and it cost me like $12. It does what I need it to do, which is tell me how fast I'm going and how far I've gone. It also adds in a max speed function (resets automatically when the trip mileage is reset), an odometer and the time of day.

I would like wireless cadence but I don't particularly feel like paying for any of that fancy crap :D

bfd
04-18-2006, 04:49 PM
Believe or not, Avocet is still around and still sells the Avocet 45 computer:

http://www.avocet.com/cyclopages/cyclo.html

Of course, try finding someone who actually carries them!

Avocet has got to have the stupidest business plan. At one time, its cyclometers, saddles and tires were among the best and it DOMINATED the cyclocomputer market - remember Greg Lemond used it back in the day.

By restricting sales to only local bike shops, and saddling them with minimum orders, it eliminated most shops who prefer to deal with distributors like QBP. Further, Avocet use to be carried by all major mail order houses.

Now, nothing. Of course, the same could be said for Kestrel forks, Bell helmets, and many other products.

Keith A
04-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm aware that their website is still up -- they still have parts and do repair for the units, but I'm almost certain that they are no longer producing their cyclometers. I can't remember the details, but for some reason they can't manufacture the head units anymore (or it may be that their chip supplier went out of business or something along those lines).

72gmc
04-18-2006, 05:13 PM
Avocet 45? I have an Avocet 20 in my small parts box. Had to have one back in '86...

Keith A
04-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Avocet 45 (http://www.avocet.com/cyclopages/cyclo45tt.html)

Too Tall
04-18-2006, 05:39 PM
You have no idea how dumb. They failed to purchase and retain rights to the code for their computers....derrrr. Thus no upgrades yada yada. 'Bout as bright as a que ball.

Keith A
04-19-2006, 12:54 PM
You have no idea how dumb. They failed to purchase and retain rights to the code for their computers....derrrr. Thus no upgrades yada yada. 'Bout as bright as a que ball.I knew is was something like that -- just couldn't remember the details. With all of the circut board and chip technology these days, I can't believe they couldn't reverse engineer this part :confused:

chrisroph
04-19-2006, 01:33 PM
I used to love my avocet computers. When one fialed, you could send it in and they would send you a brand new one. Then, the warranty was shortened to one year. Then, they all stopped working. The last one I bought did not work even when brand new. I haven't had one in years.

Keith A
04-19-2006, 01:48 PM
chrisroph -- I must have got a good batch of them. I have two Avocet 45's (not the TT model) and if I had to guess, I would say both of them are at least 10 years old and they keep on working. I just have to replace the battery every now and then -- maybe I have "The Lucky". :D

chrisroph
04-19-2006, 03:08 PM
You are lucky, inho their qc went in the tank over 10 years ago. When they first came out, they had a solid product. Now, you can get a fancy polar, or a cheap cateye, etc that do a really good job. Also, I have a few specializeds and they seem to work well.