PDA

View Full Version : Rims with same ERD as Mavic Open Pro?..

Pastashop
04-16-2015, 11:05 PM
Question for the brain trust:

So, I'm exploring options for clincher rims with the same ERD as the Open Pro (605 mm, I believe), with double eyelets. Non-anodized preferred, but... Any suggestions?

weisan
04-16-2015, 11:43 PM
Using ERD 602....

http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/aerohead-622

oldpotatoe
04-17-2015, 07:20 AM

So, I'm exploring options for clincher rims with the same ERD as the Open Pro (605 mm, I believe), with double eyelets. Non-anodized preferred, but... Any suggestions?

DT 465 was 599 but hard to find(I use 602 for openpro ERD)..most current double eyelet rims are much bigger RD(Like pacenti-611).

Velocity Aerohead, Synergy(603)..DT 440 also close but a wee bit smaller(599). Ambrsio Excellence are 602(also hard to find tho).

So, if using a smaller by a little ERD, and assuming you want to reuse spokes..use spoke washers, that takes about 1mm off the spoke length. If a little bigger, use 14 or 16mm nipples. Or just buy new spokes.

thwart
04-17-2015, 07:28 AM
I've replaced Open Pros with Velocity A23's, worked well, no problems at all.

Not double eyelets, but very nice wide rims.

rburnham13
04-17-2015, 07:53 AM
I personally would stick to Velocity or the Ambrosia rims. Both are rugged and ride nice. The Velocity A23 is a 601 ERD and set up tubeless great (if you are going that route). They are also wide and have a nice profile. The Aerohead is also a 602 ERD. They are a little lighter than the A23 as well. I have the Ambrosia Excellight S.S.C's laced up to some DT 180's and they ride really nice. Smooth braking and feel stiff. I just wish they were a little lighter, and wider. A killer training rim though.
Its a shame that the H Plus Sons rims are too far off the ERD, otherwise they make for great classy wheel builds.

Pastashop
04-17-2015, 09:35 AM
Nice choices! The non-machined A23 rim that comes in black – is the black a paint or anodization? For that matter, are the other Velocity rims mentioned painted or anodized or both? (Seems like the Synergy comes in a polished version, but a little heavier than I'd prefer.)

Black Dog
04-17-2015, 09:45 AM
If you use nipples that are 2mm longer you can reuse the hub and spokes and run a H+Son TB14 rim. I re-rimmed a set of open pros this way and it worked out perfectly. The TB-14 rims are very nice, 23mm wide, box section and double eyelets as well as being very well made. You can also get them with anodized braking surface (they anodize them after they machine the brake track).

Lewis Moon
04-17-2015, 10:36 AM
This is a pretty interesting thread. I wish you could search (efficiently) using the ERD. I've tried on teh Google but I get back minimal hits. I've even widened the search to include the 2mm nipple increase. I have a set of XR300s (577) laced with CX-rays that I'd REALLY like to preserve. The rear has a bit of a sidewall mash and I'd like to go with wider rims, as all my other rims are are in the 23mm range. Even though they're ridable, they haven't seen road time in a while. It's probably the 30mm deep rim thingy.

rburnham13
04-17-2015, 06:05 PM
Nice choices! The non-machined A23 rim that comes in black – is the black a paint or anodization? For that matter, are the other Velocity rims mentioned painted or anodized or both? (Seems like the Synergy comes in a polished version, but a little heavier than I'd prefer.)

I believe the A23 comes in both ano, and painted.

Black Dog
04-17-2015, 06:44 PM
I only hope that Velocity has solved their quality issues. The set of A23's I have are of very low quality.

oldpotatoe
04-18-2015, 06:21 AM
I only hope that Velocity has solved their quality issues. The set of A23's I have are of very low quality.

I have built a few of the more recent A23 and they seem to build just fine.

rburnham13
04-18-2015, 07:14 AM
Since they have moved to America, they seem to be a much better quality. The hubs are even decent, and relatively light!

oldpotatoe
04-18-2015, 07:26 AM
Since they have moved to America, they seem to be a much better quality. The hubs are even decent, and relatively light!

Well, initially, as they were just started to be made in FLA instead of downunder, they were really quite crappy. Now they seem to have their act together. Yes, I like their hubs as well but kinda pricey for a asian hub, IMHO.

Race hubset MSRP is $350+..more than some Record and even DT350.

Black Dog
04-18-2015, 08:20 AM
I have built a few of the more recent A23 and they seem to build just fine.

Glad that they have fixed the issues, they would not have been in business for long if they did not fix things. There is a lot of really good competition out there.

Fatty
04-18-2015, 08:27 AM

What kind of problems did or do you have with the rims ?

Look585
04-18-2015, 09:24 AM
I have a set of XR300s (577) laced with CX-rays that I'd REALLY like to preserve. ...all my other rims are are in the 23mm range...

The new Kinlin T31 rims have a claimed ERD of ~580. You should be able to use DT 16mm nipples (they have longer threads unlike some other 16mm nipples which just have a longer "smooth" portion and the same thread length as 12mm nipples) and have it work out.

I'd use brass 16mm nipples as your spokes will not thread up into the "head" portion and you might break the heads off alloy nipples.

Black Dog
04-18-2015, 01:04 PM

It seems that the issues have been sorted out. The set I have had inconsistent machining of the brake track and were not very round and as a result hard to build. Don't sweat it. If Old P says they are better then they are better. The set I have was made several years ago.

peanutgallery
04-18-2015, 05:41 PM
I haven't been particularly enamored with velocity rims, I would put the build up in the Stan's spectrum of quality. Built a few pairs of major tom's for someone over the winter. I find them to be of inconsistent quality when lacing up, way to much work to get them round. The aluminum also seems really "stiff" and doesn't respond to spoke tweaks unless you get a little on the aggressive side. Stan's road and mountain are always the same way, but the rims come with even more imperfections and require even more work just to get them round. Liking H-plus Son and DT these days, much more confidence in the starting material

Just my two cents

blasdelf
04-23-2015, 12:32 AM

Velocity rims don't come round or flat, but they do come with aluminum shavings in them

They're made of a potmetal alloy that's easily dented, doesn't take high tension, and when designed asymmetrically to avoid high tensions they like to crack

To go with all of those 'features' they put premium pricing on everything

They used to be acceptably good, and were once cheap

blasdelf
04-23-2015, 12:37 AM

Accept no substitutes: http://www.wtb.com/products/chriscross

The Open Pro was good 20 years ago, the WTB ChrisCross is the modern tubeless-ready replacement

The inside width is 5mm wider at the same weight and it's dramatically stronger

Instead of having eyelets they used a multi-axis robot to drill the spoke holes with countersunk sockets angled towards the hub flanges, so the nipples line up perfectly with no kinks in the spokes

Pastashop
04-24-2015, 10:43 AM
Accept no substitutes: http://www.wtb.com/products/chriscross

The Open Pro was good 20 years ago, the WTB ChrisCross is the modern tubeless-ready replacement

The inside width is 5mm wider at the same weight and it's dramatically stronger

Instead of having eyelets they used a multi-axis robot to drill the spoke holes with countersunk sockets angled towards the hub flanges, so the nipples line up perfectly with no kinks in the spokes

Ooh! I'm intrigued. BTW, why do they say it's not for disc brakes?

blasdelf
04-24-2015, 02:16 PM
Ooh! I'm intrigued. BTW, why do they say it's not for disc brakes?

because they make even better rims specifically for discs

their Frequency and KOM rims are the best aluminum options on the market

Fatty
04-24-2015, 10:24 PM
The new Kinlin T31 rims have a claimed ERD of ~580.

Who is selling this rim?

Pastashop
07-12-2022, 04:18 PM
Bumpage... yet another Open Pro wheelset needs re-rimming, so very interested in the WTB Chriscross i19 TCS... seems like unobtanium right now?..

Pastashop
07-12-2022, 04:57 PM
Also, the WTB KOM Light rim (https://www.wtb.com/products/kom-light-i23) – e.g., the i23 or i.25 model – sure looks like there's a parallel brake track for use with rim brakes, no?.. Has anyone tried using this rim with rim brakes?