PDA

View Full Version : Pegoretti Info

mdeeds71
04-18-2006, 12:43 AM
I am looking for insights into the Pegoretti frames. I am totaly enjoying riding my Hors and find the fit better than the CDA. So I am thinking about looking into a Peg to get a steel that is stiff and light for the hills and sprints out here in Nor Cal. Or would the AL/Scan Pegs be also a wise choice???

I know the Jerk is well schooled on these and would appreciate his insights.

Too Tall
04-18-2006, 06:58 AM
Paging Matt Barkley.

amg
04-18-2006, 07:23 AM
Any Pegoretti that fits is a wise choice.

Antonio

dbrk
04-18-2006, 08:14 AM
Study closely Pegoretti numbers. Generally speaking, nice slack sta and plenty of setback (more than most other fixed geos bikes of this caliber).
Choose one that fits. The differences in models aren't significant enough to be outside your stated aspirations. In other words, they are all good for racing and long distance riding. Be aware: you'll not fit a Michelin 25c ProRace on a larger frame, for sure.

dbrk

jerk
04-18-2006, 08:57 AM
they are all wonderful. you need a palosanto. you should get a marcelo.

jerk

Aspen
04-18-2006, 11:15 AM
I have been debating between the Marcelo and Duende. The front triangle is the same and the rear is different. Is there that much difference in ride between the two for someone my weight, 135 lbs? How is the paint holding up on your frames?

Loro_tomas
04-18-2006, 11:42 AM
Get the Marcelo. the jerk is 100% right. It is very smooth and very much a racing bike.

I have been debating between the Marcelo and Duende. The front triangle is the same and the rear is different. Is there that much difference in ride between the two for someone my weight, 135 lbs? How is the paint holding up on your frames?

The paint is very good, no problems there.

Loro

catulle
04-18-2006, 12:18 PM
I apologize if this is not the place to elaborate on Pegoretti, but IŽll venture to proceed as there is a precedent.

Anyway, yesterday I received the Pegoretti catalog on the picture but other than a poem by Dario the information about the different models is nil. Like ndeeds71(?), I would like to be able to understand what the different Pegoretti frames are all about, or how and why they are different. Thanks.

Climb01742
04-18-2006, 12:32 PM
i had a marcelo. a rocket. amd smooth. but it is stiff; it's a race bike, built to go fast. over bad roads, over a few hours, it beat me up a bit. personally, i'd get a duende. which i will at some point. if you're light, a cckmp is wonderful. can't wait to try a love #3.

Moosedryvr
04-18-2006, 01:29 PM
I'd also love a first hand report on the Duende. Any info?

SPG

Hysbrian
04-18-2006, 01:31 PM
Mine is rock solid...I love it. Its hard to explain but it just works...a love #3 would be great.

catulle
04-18-2006, 01:38 PM
For anyone interested, the Competitive Cyclist site has a pretty good description of all the Pegoretti models.

saab2000
04-18-2006, 01:42 PM
For anyone interested, the Competitive Cyclist site has a pretty good description of all the Pegoretti models.

Word

That place is cool. I have yet to buy anything from them, but they answered a couple e-mails quickly and well. Their descriptions of their products is terrific. It is clear that some 'real' cyclists are involved there.

catulle
04-18-2006, 01:48 PM
Word

That place is cool. I have yet to buy anything from them, but they answered a couple e-mails quickly and well. Their descriptions of their products is terrific. It is clear that some 'real' cyclists are involved there.

IŽve only one small purchase from them, but I think they have the best web site bar none. I mean, their web site is the best not only among cycling sites, but the best of them all. Whoever designed that site must be given a medal or something, imho.

SoCalSteve
04-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Study closely Pegoretti numbers. Generally speaking, nice slack sta and plenty of setback (more than most other fixed geos bikes of this caliber).
Choose one that fits. The differences in models aren't significant enough to be outside your stated aspirations. In other words, they are all good for racing and long distance riding. Be aware: you'll not fit a Michelin 25c ProRace on a larger frame, for sure.
dbrk

I have a very large Big Leg Emma 60 x 60...and, I have Michelin ProRace2 700 x 25's on this bike, with plenty of clearence.

I was told that they would not fit. They do and work marvelously.

Senor Jerk is a great source for anything Pegoretti. And, there is always the custom option.

Good luck,

Steve

amg
04-18-2006, 02:32 PM
I apologize if this is not the place to elaborate on Pegoretti, but IŽll venture to proceed as there is a precedent.

Anyway, yesterday I received the Pegoretti catalog on the picture but other than a poem by Dario the information about the different models is nil. Like ndeeds71(?), I would like to be able to understand what the different Pegoretti frames are all about, or how and why they are different. Thanks.

Just curious, where did you get a catalog?

Antonio

Grant McLean
04-18-2006, 02:38 PM

Antonio

instant gratification:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/pdf/06pegoretti_catalog.pdf

-g

amg
04-18-2006, 02:43 PM
instant gratification:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/pdf/06pegoretti_catalog.pdf

-g

Thanks, Grant. I was wondering if any '06 catalogs were in print?

Antonio

Grant McLean
04-18-2006, 03:01 PM
Thanks, Grant. I was wondering if any '06 catalogs were in print?

Antonio

yes, I knew that's what you meant, but I couldn't fit a copy into the
monitor....a dealer should be able to give you one.

try here:
http://www.gitabike.com/cgi-bin/shop/sc_search2z.cgi?user_id=61771&database=dbase_dealer.exm&template=peg_dealer.htm&9=Yes&sort_field=5_aa&use_options=1

-g

davids
04-18-2006, 03:02 PM
i had a marcelo. a rocket. amd smooth. but it is stiff; it's a race bike, built to go fast. over bad roads, over a few hours, it beat me up a bit. personally, i'd get a duende. which i will at some point. if you're light, a cckmp is wonderful. can't wait to try a love #3.
I want this Duende:

dbrk
04-18-2006, 04:13 PM
I have a very large Big Leg Emma 60 x 60...and, I have Michelin ProRace2 700 x 25's on this bike, with plenty of clearence.

I was told that they would not fit. They do and work marvelously.

Steve

Not on mine. I was just down there to try again with yet another wheelset. Nope. So I suppose I just don't understand, which is okay. The 25c Mich ProRace tire touches the front derailleur clamp.

dbrk

catulle
04-18-2006, 04:36 PM

Antonio

The good people at Chicagoland sent it to me.

jerk
04-18-2006, 04:39 PM
Not on mine. I was just down there to try again with yet another wheelset. Nope. So I suppose I just don't understand, which is okay. The 25c Mich ProRace tire touches the front derailleur clamp.

dbrk

it shouldn't fit. dario and the folks at gita said as much. for some strange reason on steve's frame it fits. no idea why. it shouldn't.

jerk

Grant McLean
04-18-2006, 04:46 PM
it shouldn't fit. dario and the folks at gita said as much. for some strange reason on steve's frame it fits. no idea why. it shouldn't.

jerk

longer chainstays perhaps on his 60cm frame?
If his bike has a longish front center, maybe he left the
rear stays a little long for balance.

He could easily measure to find out.

You wouldn't think it was due to a steeper seat tube angle.

G

jerk
04-18-2006, 04:46 PM

there's nothing beyond what is in those catalogs that anyone here needs to know about pegoretti frames. they are all race bikes; built with love and an exacting attention to detail and the pedigree of dozens of race victories oozing through and through. they are simple machines which don't follow any trends. you want to know the difference between the models?

the 8:30 is an aluminum race bike.

the love#3 is a slightly lighter aluminum race bike.

the palosanto is a steel race bike.

the marcelo is a slightly lighter steel race bike that may be a bit stiffer torsionally.

the duende is a marcelo with the less expensive rear end from a palosanto.

the big leg emma is the big leg emma.

see how much worse that sounds than comparing a bike to bob marley?

just ride one. you'll understand.

jerk

amg
04-18-2006, 04:51 PM
there's nothing beyond what is in those catalogs that anyone here needs to know about pegoretti frames. they are all race bikes; built with love and an exacting attention to detail and the pedigree of dozens of race victories oozing through and through. they are simple machines which don't follow any trends. you want to know the difference between the models?

the marcelo is a slightly lighter steel race bike that may be a bit stiffer torsionally.

jerk

Word. If I'm not mistaken though, the Duende rear triangle is the same as the Palosanto, but with slightly larger diameter seat and chain stays. Am I correct?

Antonio

Grant McLean
04-18-2006, 04:52 PM

jerk

Post of the Month!

-g

Hysbrian
04-18-2006, 04:55 PM

jerk

Well said Jerk. Your not buying the bike for what it is, your buying it for what it has the potential to be ;)

catulle
04-18-2006, 05:23 PM

jerk

Oh, thank you. I like the Luigino.

SoCalSteve
04-18-2006, 05:39 PM

jerk

Since I own one, I'd like to know what you mean by that....LOL

Thanks,

Steve

jerk
04-18-2006, 05:39 PM
Oh, thank you. I like the Luigino.

the jerk does too. although somehow, the jerk knows that the man who pioneered lugless tig construction in italy thinks the whole luigino project is as much a tribute as it is a post-modernist joke.....whenever he displays frames at trade shows or the like, there are always new things like the big leg emma or the love#3 that are pushing the envelope of race bike design in real non-market driven ways and then there are throngs of people taking pictures of a luigino with wooden rims on it and a saddle covered with fur. that being said, it's one of the only bikes in the world which doesn't insult the aesthetic of mrs. jerk.

jerk

fiamme red
04-18-2006, 05:42 PM
Oh, thank you. I like the Luigino.It's only about $100 more than the Marcelo, and it comes with a steel fork, not an unpainted plastic Reynolds fork. So comparatively, it's a bargain. Why not paint a carbon fork to match the frame, or is the fork an afterthought? (Rhetorical question.)

manet
04-18-2006, 11:00 PM
http://www.bikyle.com/PegMarcTrack.jpg

catulle
04-19-2006, 07:07 AM
http://www.bikyle.com/PegMarcTrack.jpg

Wow, that's some pretty bicycle. I'd love to have an oil painting of that bike to hang in my house.

The Spider
04-20-2006, 05:53 AM
what brand of seat posts are you people sliding into these frames...at 29.4mm they are an odd size...

amg
04-20-2006, 06:56 AM
what brand of seat posts are you people sliding into these frames...at 29.4mm they are an odd size...

WR Compositi. WR makes some really nice carbon components, expensive though. You could also use a USE seat post shim. USE shims adapt a 27.2 to 29.4 as well as other sizes. That's what I'm using right now, but I wouldn't mind a WR seat post myself.

Antonio

iPaul
05-07-2006, 07:24 AM
Can someone confirm the TT length on a 53 Peg? Chicagoland has it at 54.8 while Competitve cyclist lists it at 54.3? I'm kicking around going down 1 size from a 54 based on the shorter TT length, but not sure if its going to be worth giving up headtube height. Thanks

Keith A
05-07-2006, 09:53 AM
How about going to the source itself? Here's the link (http://www.pegoretticicli.com/eng/sizes.htm) to Dario's website for the standard geometry.

iPaul
05-07-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks Keith. That's the same chart as on Chicago's site, so I'll assume the competitive one is off. Wish they listed the headtube length as I no longer trust the cc's site. Anyone have a 53 they can measure?

edwardk
05-07-2006, 08:28 PM
drbk wrote:

dbrk

One more datapoint. I have a 59cm 2005 Duende (purchased a couple of months at a closeout price from www.bikyle.com). No problems with clearance for the 25mm Michelin ProRace2's on my Pegoretti. Lots of problems getting them onto Campy Proton wheels, but that's a whole other thread.

edwardk

TimD
05-07-2006, 08:54 PM

Thomson Elite (non-setback)

TimD

sjbraun
05-07-2006, 09:47 PM
They fit fine on my 2005 58cm Marcelo.