PDA

View Full Version : Who Rides a Brooks B 17 Imperial with Cutout

Ralph
04-16-2015, 03:14 PM
Been riding A Selle Anatomica for a while. it has solved this 74 year old rider's pain issues from deteriorating lower spine (specific Coccyx area), and allows me to now ride long distances again. BUT....not necessarily two days in a row. Though still get in 125-150 per week, almost year around.

The SA is a little wide for me, and no matter how I adjust....up, down, angle, little sideways, etc, the edge just in front of the rivet digs into me. So after a long ride, most times I have a little wear spot to treat.

So looking at a Brooks B 17 Narrow Imperial. The one with a cutout. (and BTW I know about Rivets Saddles). I like the width at 151 MM and the adjustable sides of the Imperial. But have never ridden one. Comments please. Do you prefer without cutout?

Cicli
04-16-2015, 03:24 PM
I dont ride a B17 Imperial but do ride a C17 carved. I had to give up on the traditional Brooks on account of the short rails and not being able to get enough setback. The C17 is absolutely perfect for my hide and is by far the most comfortable saddle I have ever been on. Worth a look.

pinkshogun
04-16-2015, 03:57 PM
i ride a B17 Imperial standard because its soft out of the box

i also have a Rivet pearl which i believe is as wide as a B17. the Rivet doesnt have the side skirts like a B17 which is better and the butt platform feels a tad narrower than the B17 standard

i tried a b17 narrow but found it hard and didnt have the butt support i need

donevwil
04-16-2015, 04:33 PM
I have a B.17 Imperial on my commuter. Originally tried a Selle Anatomica, but the width of my sit bones put me back on the metal frame, not comfortable at all. Finally found an Imperial here and all is well. B.17 standards fit me very well on upright bikes. The opening on the Anatomica tended to pinch, not all the time, but too often. It was my first cutout saddle so I worried the same would be true with the Imperial, but it has not been an issue. I like it very much. I commute in street clothes which necessitates the cutout (seam down the center of a pair of jeans), for normal, upright riding I use a standard B.17. Pant seam + slot = happy.

Ralph
04-16-2015, 08:50 PM
I ride with my bars about 3" lower than my saddle. Is there a particular Brooks model for that position?

I read for that riding position, the fairly narrow (for a Brooks) Swallow, Swift, and Pro are recommended for low bars. But that width about the same as a B17 Narrow. Why is B 17 N or Imperial N not recommended for low bars?

Anyone have comments about that? Thanks

Pastashop
04-16-2015, 11:18 PM
My B17 started to flare out in the skirts portion over time, and so get effectively wider when the hips and thighs are closest in the low-bars position.