PDA

View Full Version : V-O Stem

regularguy412
04-16-2015, 02:52 PM
With all the stem posts on the board of late, I just had to post the link to the stem I recently purchased to go on my new-to-me Serotta Fondo Ti. This stem from V-O is really nice, well made and seems quite secure without being too heavy. I have no relation to the seller; just wanted to share. The best thing is: it's polished aluminum, and comes in -17 for 1-1/8 steerers and 26.0 bars.

Mike in AR:beer:

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/stems/threadless-stems/vo-threadless-stem-26-0-17-rise.html

JasonF
04-16-2015, 04:36 PM
This is a robust stem and a reasonable price point - plus it looks good on lugged steel.

marciero
04-16-2015, 04:59 PM
Some might say the Serotta deserves a notch higher quality spec for components. That is a judgement call. I have a VO stem on one of my bikes and agree that it is pretty nice. It seems at least as good quality, machining/fit-and-finish as the Nitto it replaced.

My experience is that V-O stuff is mixed-some of it is decent quality, some not. I like the stem. On the other hand, I was not too impressed with their cranks/rings, which I have on girlfriend's bike. The rings looked as though they were stamped, rather than forged/machined, however they were made. The self-extractor plugs were very soft and the crank bolt pulled right through. Also did not like their bars, which, aside from not liking the shape, I thought to be clunky and not elegant.

regularguy412
04-16-2015, 09:13 PM
Some might say the Serotta deserves a notch higher quality spec for components. That is a judgement call. I have a VO stem on one of my bikes and agree that it is pretty nice. It seems at least as good quality, machining/fit-and-finish as the Nitto it replaced.

My experience is that V-O stuff is mixed-some of it is decent quality, some not. I like the stem. On the other hand, I was not too impressed with their cranks/rings, which I have on girlfriend's bike. The rings looked as though they were stamped, rather than forged/machined, however they were made. The self-extractor plugs were very soft and the crank bolt pulled right through. Also did not like their bars, which, aside from not liking the shape, I thought to be clunky and not elegant.

Agreed on some of the other parts. The reason I went with the VO is that I could get it in 31.8 steerer and 26.0 bar clamp sections. I have some 26.0 bars that I really like and need to use up. Just didn't see any black stems in this combo that are ALSO -17. So I went with the VO. When I run out of 26.0 bars, I'll prolly get a black version of a nicer stem in 31.8 x2.

Thanks for your input.
Mike in AR:beer:

zzy
04-16-2015, 10:17 PM
Looks very similar to the VO tall stack stem. I have one and it's very fine quality. VO stuff can be a mixed bag, but the stems all seem quite nice.

R3awak3n
04-17-2015, 08:12 AM
I have a quill from them and its really really nice as well.