PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Vivofit on sale. Worth it?

makoti
04-16-2015, 10:34 AM
Amazon is selling these for $60. Anyone have one? Worth it? I am trying to think of what I'd use it for & monitoring sleep is all I think I would. I know they are wildly popular now. Am I missing something?

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=lp_10233075011_gbrc_tit_r-1_6742_2563743f?rh=i%3Aelectronics%2Cn%3A102330750 11&ie=UTF8&node=10233075011&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

milkbaby
04-16-2015, 10:56 AM
My gf has one and enjoys wearing it. It's basically a fancy pedometer watch. The sleep quality function is debateable, if you google it, there is some question as to its accuracy in determining when you're sleeping or not.

I have a fitbit which is a similar fitness monitor, basically a pedometer. It's kind of fun to check how many steps per day I've taken. I'm not really using the data for anything. Both the garmin and fitbit allow for saving data online so you can check your stats. If they automatically measured resting heart rate in the morning, I'd find that useful in helping to determine how well recovered I am.

makoti
04-16-2015, 12:55 PM
My gf has one and enjoys wearing it. It's basically a fancy pedometer watch. The sleep quality function is debateable, if you google it, there is some question as to its accuracy in determining when you're sleeping or not.

I have a fitbit which is a similar fitness monitor, basically a pedometer. It's kind of fun to check how many steps per day I've taken. I'm not really using the data for anything. Both the garmin and fitbit allow for saving data online so you can check your stats. If they automatically measured resting heart rate in the morning, I'd find that useful in helping to determine how well recovered I am.

The RHR was the main reason I'd look into one, I think. If it can't do that very well, not sure what I would use it for.

thirdgenbird
04-16-2015, 03:02 PM

I don't have one, but this seems to be the norm.

Fitness trackers give you a report card of what you have already done. If your goal is really to improve your health, i think you are better of with a hear monitor for your workouts. This will let you get the best out of your workout in real time vs looking at results after the fact.