PDA

View Full Version : Dinotte Quad Amber headlight - worth it?

Gsinill
04-16-2015, 10:07 AM
I have been toying with the Quad Red taillight for quite a while and might finally pull the trigger.
When I went to Dinotte's website I saw their Quad Amber headlight (http://store.dinottelighting.com/quad-amber-headlight-with-built-in-battery-p196.aspx), which I've never heard of before. Not a lot (i.e. reviews) when googling, so I assume it's fairly new...

Here's Dinotte's justification for spending another $190:
"Cyclists owe it to themselves to be equipped with the most effective safety tools, but they also owe it to the motorists to provide them with adequate warning. The cyclist is typically in the least visible, but most dangerous spot of the road. The Quad AMBER is especially effective when dealing with intersections, driveways and other roadways where people can drive or turn in front of the cyclist."

Maybe it's just me, but given that I am actually seeing what's in front of me, being seen is arguably not nearly as important as in a situation where a vehicle comes up from behind.
Unless approaching let's say an intersection at high speed, I feel fairly confident that at the point where I am visible to another vehicle, I would be able to react as well as its driver to avoid an impact.
Or am I missing something?

If it is indeed a good idea, buying both Red and Amber as a package would save 30 bucks...

Thoughts?

Cheers,
GS

Likes2ridefar
04-16-2015, 10:32 AM
I added flickering led amber lights to my motorcycle fork legs and while I can't prove anything, I feel like cars give me way more notice than they did previously with just the dual headlights.

people i know that have seen me on the road say that is the first thing they notice from afar.

moose8
04-16-2015, 10:43 AM
You should get it and report back - I've been wondering the same thing with that headlight. I got the tail light after much hemming and hawing and I love it. It mounts very solid and the battery life is amazing so far - last Saturday it ran for almost 13 hours on solid which is way longer than its rated for (first 8.5 was a ride, next 4 was seeing how long it would last)- I'm pretty sure I had it on high too. On a 30 degree day the battery lasted like 8 or 9 hours on high though the last three hours were at room temperature.

The price does seem outrageous, but I try to think I use it twice a day five days a week and on the weekends so it's not so bad. It's noticeably brighter than others I've seen and the convenience of the long lasting battery is awesome. I charge it once a week or so if that when commuting with it.

cp43
04-16-2015, 10:43 AM
A friend of mine was hit by an inattentive driver a while back. After that he got the older version of the amber headlight, and ran it on blink from then on. He ended up at the same intersection, in the same situation that lead up to the crash. He believes that the amber blinker caught the attention of the driver that might have other wise not seen him and hit him.

Not scientific by any means, but that's his story.

I think they are right, that it makes the most difference in intersections. Where drivers may be looking for other cars, from various directions, and won't notice a cyclist.

If you're mostly riding rural roads, I think you're right, the taillight is more important.

moose8
04-16-2015, 10:47 AM
I do think it might help with so called "situational blindness" where people may sort of see you don't don't really see you and just will walk or drive in front of you. I use a lezyne very bright blinking light on my commute and I do feel like at least in Boston in a very urban setting its reduced the number of people who look at me and then proceed to still step out in front of me. It hasn't happened for a long time since I've been using a powerful light every day during my commute.

HillDancer
04-16-2015, 11:01 AM
I have the dual quad daytime amber, that model is definately worth it. Many times I've seen drivers do a stop-start-stop at intersections when I have the forward facing DiNotte amber going.

You may or may not have time to react if you see the vehicle first. I was struck by a vehicle whose driver had an opportunity to see me from the front first, side second, but did not. I didn't have time or space to avoid contact. I was wearing high-vis vest and helmet in full sunlight, but no flashing forward facing light. The injuries and loss of income are permanent, and there are additional tolls beyond quantification.

justinrchan
04-16-2015, 03:22 PM
Also helps if you are riding in a city or town where you ride by parked cars parallel parked on the streets. I am always on the lookout for the parked car where the driver opens their door onto the bike lane.

dustyrider
04-16-2015, 04:16 PM
Those that run this light...does it provide light that can be used by the rider? A popular local ride goes through some dark tunnels and lights are required before they let you into the park. I have some cheap blinkies that pass the inspection, but I can't see very well with them, and it gets scary when other riders don't turn their lights on. I don't want to use my commuting lights cause they're huge unsightly things and on my commuter!

SlackMan
04-16-2015, 05:00 PM
I don't have the headlight you are asking about, but I do have a Dinotte tailight that I think is fantastic. For the headlight, I wound up choosing a Cygolite 850, and run it on flash during the day (that's 850 lumens vs. 150 for the Dinotte you ask about). I immediately noticed motorists noticing me and not pulling right out in front at intersections or cross streets. If I am stopped at an intersection and think some critical motorist doesn't see me, e.g., someone who might turn left in front of me, I will point the light at them. Within pretty short order, the motorist sees me and all ends well. The punchline is that I am sold on the idea of a flashing front light for daytime use, but I use one that is brighter (and to be fair, heavier) than the one you ask about.