PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Brake pads in Campy holders?

mikoglaces
04-16-2015, 09:22 AM
Time to replace the brake pads in my campy centaur brakes. Brakes have original campy brake pad holders, the older ones without the sporing to keep the pad in place. The ones where it's a bitch to take out the old pad.

Anyway, yesterday my LBS sold me Shimano replacement pads, and said they'd fit. They nicely offered to check to be sure but I was in a hurry. So, does anyone know whether the Shimano pads will fit into the campy pad holder?

It would be nice if they did as Shimano stuff is easier to find and cheaper.

FlashUNC
04-16-2015, 09:29 AM
If you can stuff it in there, more power to you. I've never had much luck myself.

sandyrs
04-16-2015, 09:30 AM
I really doubt they'll fit. I just have Shimano holders on all my brakes now. Easier to work with and easier to find pads for them.

buldogge
04-16-2015, 10:02 AM
Get a new LBS.

The pads are harder to change than Shimano, but it's really not a big deal.

Leonard Zinn wrote a blurb about filing the front 1/2 of the holder's edges to make changes easier...

-Mark in St. Louis

oldpotatoe
04-16-2015, 10:06 AM
Time to replace the brake pads in my campy centaur brakes. Brakes have original campy brake pad holders, the older ones without the sporing to keep the pad in place. The ones where it's a bitch to take out the old pad.

Anyway, yesterday my LBS sold me Shimano replacement pads, and said they'd fit. They nicely offered to check to be sure but I was in a hurry. So, does anyone know whether the Shimano pads will fit into the campy pad holder?

It would be nice if they did as Shimano stuff is easier to find and cheaper.

Not really and Jagwire blocks for Campagnolo, are the same $ as the shimano ones. Where ever the LBS gets the shimano compatible ones, they can probably get Campag compatible ones too.

roadie7
04-16-2015, 12:02 PM
My LBS installed Shimano pads in my Campy brakes and they work without any problems. They were dramatically cheaper than the Campy pads and convinced me to stay with this shop and leave the previous one. The previous shop automatically installed Campy pads once, which I think but am not sure I'm remembering correctly, were $60 a pair.

oldpotatoe
04-16-2015, 12:10 PM
My LBS installed Shimano pads in my Campy brakes and they work without any problems. They were dramatically cheaper than the Campy pads and convinced me to stay with this shop and leave the previous one. The previous shop automatically installed Campy pads once, which I think but am not sure I'm remembering correctly, were $60 a pair.

$60 brake blocks. Yikes. So did ha just assume that was the going price(it's not) or shop around? I know just brake blocks but stoopid bike shops aren't the problem.

Can take shove shimano compatible blocks into Campag holders? Sure, you could probably morph a ford water pump onto a Chevy too but...