PDA

View Full Version : Schwinn Paramount PGD Series 7

Cicli
04-15-2015, 06:31 PM
Anyone have any info on these? I am looking for a nice bike to use as a gravel grinder with 28-30 tires and the such. I found this and it is basicly brand new. The original owner bought it and a matching mountain bike and said this. Ever got ridden on account of being too big. Its all Shimano 600 and in pefect shape.
Thoughts?

thirdgenbird
04-15-2015, 06:46 PM
I don't know much about it, but it looks great. If it will clear 28s, it would be great.

I would update it with:
Brooks cambium saddle
Brooks cambium tape
Look keo pedals

Beyond that, it seems great. 8spd tricolor should be ideal for this application.

LouDeeter
04-15-2015, 06:59 PM
PDG-7 was made about 1992 +/-. As I recall, some of the numbered PDG series were outsourced to Taiwan instead of made in Waterford. Not sure which ones and the 7 was one of the better ones. Probably not made in Waterford, Wi. About this time (93), Waterford Precision bicycles started producing frames like the Waterford 1200.

Mayhem
04-15-2015, 07:00 PM
I have a '92 Series 5 which is the exact same frame. The Japanese PDG's are way underrated because they aren't made by Waterford. For steel it's a fairly stiff ride because of the oversize tubes but I've had mine since '97 and will never sell it. I like how stiff it is in the bottom bracket, the bottom of the seat tube flares out. I put on a pair of 25c Krylions which actually measure out to almost 27 and the front tire would not clear the bottom of the fork. A dremel would take care of it but I didn't bother. Regular 25's fit fine. I don't see a 30c fitting. You're lucky, I've been keeping an eye out for a mint Series 7 for years and have never found one.

http://sunset-stories.typepad.com/sunset_stories/2009/02/a-piece-of-american-history-92-schwinn-paramount.html

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i233/snuffster_2006/Paramount/015_zps5f876730.jpg

Mayhem
04-15-2015, 07:05 PM
PDG-7 was made about 1992 +/-. As I recall, some of the numbered PDG series were outsourced to Taiwan instead of made in Waterford.

The Series 5 and 7's were made in Japan from builders hand picked by the guy in charge of Paramount production. The Series 2 and 3's were made in Taiwan but I believe the tubesets came from Japan.

Ken Robb
04-15-2015, 08:20 PM
I did 20 miles or so on one when they were new and liked it fine. I think you can get some info on these on the Waterford site. In fact, I'll bet you could phone or email Waterford and get some info from Richard Schwinn who is a really nice and accommodating man.

rccardr
04-15-2015, 08:42 PM
I built a PDG series 3 (the one with RX100) recently for someone who wanted 28's on it. The rear fit fine, but the front required a bit of dremel work to clear the fork crown. I used Hutchinson 28's, others are somewhat larger.

mhespenheide
04-15-2015, 08:51 PM
I have a '92 PDG that I bought as a frameset when Schwinn was going out of business. I did a little collegiate racing on it. Mostly just rode it. I still have it; it lives at my parent's house as a bike to ride when I'm there.

It rode really nicely. A touch stiffer than basic lugged bikes of the era with standard tubes. Nowhere near the ride of a Cannondale, say.

If I remember correctly, the clearance in the back with the chainstays and brake bridge is pretty good. Like Mayhem, I suspect the fork might be the bigger issue. Have you checked it yourself on that particular bike?

I'd recommend it, if you think the price is worth it.

Cicli
04-16-2015, 04:14 AM
I am working on the guy and a price. He feels its worth a bunch, I offered him what I feel is fair. We will see.

Thanks for all the info and guidance so far.

oldpotatoe
04-16-2015, 05:56 AM
The Series 5 and 7's were made in Japan from builders hand picked by the guy in charge of Paramount production. The Series 2 and 3's were made in Taiwan but I believe the tubesets came from Japan.

Mark Mulluer. Still there, bought the factory along with Richard(Schwinn).

Mayhem
04-16-2015, 06:05 AM
http://bikecatalogs.org/SCHWINN/1992/Paramount/Series_7.html