PDA

View Full Version : New guy looking for decent aluminum frame bike I can grow with.

rx7ttlm
04-15-2015, 04:25 PM
I am a new user here and also pretty new to cycling. As a kid I used to ride all the time but that somehow faded. Looking to get into cycling for fitness and a fun way to scratch my competitive itch. I have a New old stock 2012 Anthem X1 29er I am picking up tomorrow. With that said I am looking for a new road bike frame set. I purchased a shimano 5800 105 group set and rs11 wheels and put them on a giant OCR. The problem is the bike is actually a 56 cm frame and it's also flexy. When I put the power down and look at the bottom bracket I can see it moving side to side. I fall in the Clydesdale category and always will be. Even when I graduated Marine Corps boot camp I was 190. 3 tours later I am about 280 and looking to use cycling to drop back down to 220-240.

With that said, I am looking for an alloy "race" bike. I have gotten a million suggestions from my friends. Everything from Giant Defy advanced (carbon), to specialized allez smartweld, to Cannondale CAAD10 and on. Anyhow, I was wondering what you guys thought. I will probably never race to be at the front. But I will undoubtedly do sport style races when ever I can. Since I have already blown a metric ton of money on bikes I would like to keep the price around 500 ish for the frame. I already messaged one member about his Allez 54 cm frame, but I am just going to cover my bases and see what the guys with more experience say. I have a 32 inch inseam and am 5'10". I looked at evans cycling sizing chart and saw they suggest a 56cm... thoughts? Anyone happen to have a 56cm Allez frame set or 54cm Allez they want to part with? lol

Thanks!

Uncle Jam's Army
04-15-2015, 04:31 PM
It's tough to look past a CAAD10. Hear good things about the Allez, but having ridden a CAAD10, that's what I recommend.

rnhood
04-15-2015, 04:33 PM
You could do a lot worse than the Allez Smartweld. That is my first recommendation and, although relatively inexpensive its knocking on the door of the top models. You will never lose a race or even a position due to the bike.

I believe Trek is, or has recently introduced their smart weld version of the Emonde. Its worth checking out also.

The Cannondale CAAD10 is also a respected aluminum race bike and will likely serve you well.

You should be able to demo anyone, or all three of these bikes. You can't go wrong with any of them.

velomonkey
04-15-2015, 04:37 PM
Welcome!!! Fellow clydesdale myself (207 - though my race weight was like 175). Let me give it to you straight - Cannondale CAAD 9 or 10. It really is that simple - any other talk is just talk for the sake of talk (which is fun - though yes, the Trek and Allez won't lose you much of anything). So why Dale CAAD

The frame is easy to get new or used - if new the warranty is surprising good (the one issue I had, which was cosmetic, Dale gave me a new frame)

The frame is wicked stiff - you put power down, it goes

The geo is basically what everyone is doing now for a time-tested bike

It just works (go to a local race and check out how many CAT 1 and 2 dudes who support themselves are on a Dale CAAD - you wreck it and it breaks, it's not bank to replace it).

From Ivan Gotti to Cunego - these dudes won The Giro on Cannodale aluminum bikes - and the CADD 9 or 10 are even better. Add Cippo in there and, well, it's done it's duty at the highest level.

Anything else is gonna be more money - and I've spent it, trust me. You want made in America - find a CAAD 9 - otherwise go for a CADD 10. Oh, I've had a ton of bikes, too many - started racing on a Dale 2.8 way, way back in 1992. Since then had CAAD 8, 9 and 10 - like at least 2 of each. Right now, no Dales - I am sure though I will get another one.

Enjoy!!!!

thegunner
04-15-2015, 05:23 PM
caad9 man - everyone's on the 10's now, but god i loved my caad9. you can probably find one for $300 if you look hard enough.

RedRider
04-15-2015, 05:26 PM
I've been a big fan of the CAAD 9s & 10s and you can't go wrong. That said you should also look at the Colnago Strada SL. Awesome ride, priced to compete with the CAAD 10 and it's a Colnago...

ultraman6970
04-15-2015, 05:58 PM
Colnago dream... Derosa (any alum derosa)... then the caad.

FlashUNC
04-15-2015, 06:20 PM
Tough to beat the Cannondales...

azrider
04-15-2015, 06:33 PM
CAAD 10. Period. ATMO

If wanting ALU, can't go wrong with C'dale considering they've kept, and been very successful, at keeping that material in their lineup of options through the years.

I went from high zoot BH Ultralight to CAAD three years ago and haven't looked back !

montag
04-15-2015, 06:37 PM
Colnago dream... Derosa (any alum derosa)... then the caad.

I had a circa 2003 De Rosa Merak that was a great ride.

Climb01742
04-15-2015, 06:55 PM
I've been a big fan of the CAAD 9s & 10s and you can't go wrong. That said you should also look at the Colnago Strada SL. Awesome ride, priced to compete with the CAAD 10 and it's a Colnago...

RR, do you know if the frame can fit 28 tires? Whether 105 or Ultegra, the complete bikes are great values it appears.

dcama5
04-15-2015, 07:07 PM
Mike Zanconato builds aluminum frames and will build one to fit you and the way you ride. He is one of the best builders around and, if I was looking for an aluminum frameset, I would go with him. Everyone has a Cannondale or Specialized, but not many have an aluminum Zanc!

http://cycling.zanconato.com/

Louis
04-15-2015, 07:08 PM
Merckx Team SC w/ Domo Farm Frites scheme

Edit: Ooops - I now see that the OP is around 280 lbs. At that weight I probably wouldn't go with the Merckx shown below.

But you can look forward to riding something like that in the not too distant future...

Good luck getting rid of those extra pounds.

http://fcdn.roadbikereview.com/attachments/merckx/291064d1389794770-merckx-team-sc-domo-farm-frites-55cm-ebay-eddy-sc.jpg

Ralph
04-15-2015, 07:18 PM
You might even find a CAAD 9 with English threaded BB. That's my favorite model.

I bumped into a Cannondale salesman at the LBS one day, and he said for big guys to get a CAAD 5. He alluded they were the strongest of the CAADS...thickest tubes, etc. Threaded BB ones are real cheap. Apparently they made the CAAD 5's all the way thru the CAAD 9 years.

brando
04-15-2015, 07:22 PM
Spooky Havocstaff, made me a better rider. I demo'd a CAAD10 but couldn't get into it.

ultraman6970
04-15-2015, 08:24 PM
Meraks now a days are going for good price and honestly it is a do it all bike... I have the planet that is like a merak with carbon and shorter stays, bike does it all specially climbing, saddly the rider sucks :D

The colnago dream is a nice ride too, is not as explosive as the derosas but have his stuff going on big time specially in the flats or riding in group, the one i had at the moment of sucking wheel did it like the gods. The only thing is that you have to let the bike to catch momentum...

The EM race I had felt dead, couldn't figure it out what was wrong with it... no idea about the Iscandium EM ones, they say are nice.

rx7ttlm
04-15-2015, 08:52 PM
I guess I should be more specific. I am mainly looking at doing more endurance rides. Not that I have done any races yet. Some people have been telling me to get more "slack" geometry... ··· is that?

Louis
04-15-2015, 08:58 PM
I guess I should be more specific. I am mainly looking at doing more endurance rides. Not that I have done any races yet. Some people have been telling me to get more "slack" geometry... ··· is that?

This may help:

http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/community/how-to/how-to-understand-bike-geometry

mhespenheide
04-15-2015, 09:00 PM
I'd recommend the CAAD9, or the CAAD5 (as recommended above). The CAAD9 has a little bit thicker walls than the CAAD10. The geometry should work for anything from basic racing to longer rides. It's not overly twitchy.

Good luck!

ceolwulf
04-15-2015, 09:19 PM
For a more endurance-oriented aluminum bike the Bianchi Impulso would be worth a long look.

http://road.cc/content/news/37407-first-ride-bianchi-impulso-2012

Also the BMC GF02 was aluminum in its first version. The current one is carbon - if you can find an aluminum one left over, you should be able to get a good deal. The disc braked one still is aluminum, but is a different beast - more of an all-road or gravel bike, and a bit out of its element on the pavement.

https://psimonb.wordpress.com/2013/10/18/bmc-granfondo-gf02-review/

summilux
04-16-2015, 06:41 AM
No comment on a frame choice, but you also need to seriously consider wheel and rubber choice. This is AT LEAST as important as your frame choice. A good set of wheels will follow you for much longer than your frame. Good rubber instills confidence and just plain feels good. Don't cheap out here. I would aim to spend as much as your frame. If you do Campy, I recommend you buy a used set of Neutron clinchers (usually $300 here) and some Veloflex rubber. There's a Fulcrum version (Fulcrum=Campagnolo for Shimano, SRAM). Start with butyl inner tubes and when you want to treat yourself, buy some latex inners.

R3awak3n
04-16-2015, 07:10 AM
I am gonna say spooky skeletor or havocstaff. It will be hard to find but if you look enough you will find a fram similarly priced to a caad. Everyone already knows how amazing the geometry is fo crit, i dont even race and still love the bike. Love it so much that i just rebuilt it with almost all new parts. I love the caad as well but everyone has one, a spooky you dont see everyday.

Also if you want to go custom and spend a little more, rock lobster all the way.

marciero
04-16-2015, 08:02 AM

Am re-commissioning one of those this spring. Its a 2001. Fairly light and stiff, even by today's standards, and the ride is so un-aluminum.

JAGI410
04-16-2015, 08:17 AM
cannondale synapse! 95% of the caad10 performance with 200% of the comfort. These percentages are completely made up, but it's a great bike.

biker72
04-16-2015, 11:01 AM
I've has a Allez with Campy Chorus 10sp for a number of years and really like it. I'm running 700x25 tires and could easily run 28's.

I have no experience with Cannondale.

pgrizzwald
04-16-2015, 11:12 AM
I've got a great aluminum race frame possibly willing to deal. A Specialized S-Works E5 Aerotec from 05/06. Stiff and light.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=166317

montag
04-16-2015, 11:28 AM
Am re-commissioning one of those this spring. Its a 2001. Fairly light and stiff, even by today's standards, and the ride is so un-aluminum.

Nice! Glad to see some Merak fans in this thread. I still have the frameset but I've since moved onto steel. One of these days I might build it back up, but it really doesn't suit the more casual riding I do now.

Ken Robb
04-16-2015, 11:36 AM
you might also find some steel frames that would work well for you. Waterford/Gunnar, Serotta, Rivendell, are the ones I know best but there are others out there. If you got lucky you MIGHT also find a used Kirk in your price range.

Michael Maddox
04-16-2015, 11:41 AM
Where's the Gaulzetti love? The CAAD 10 is an amazing bike, but if you want something that isn't like everyone ELSE'S....well, Craig is hard to beat.

http://www.gaulzetticicli.com/corsa/

dave thompson
04-16-2015, 11:51 AM
Another suggestion for a few bucks more than your stated budget would be to have a custom alu bike built to your needs by Tsunami Bikes: http://tsunamibikes.com/wordpress1/sample-page/ They do a good workmanlike job of building inexpensive bikes that really get the job done. I've had one for s couple of years now.

AngryScientist
04-16-2015, 11:55 AM
Where's the Gaulzetti love? The CAAD 10 is an amazing bike, but if you want something that isn't like everyone ELSE'S....well, Craig is hard to beat.

you must have missed his budget requirement.

thegunner
04-16-2015, 12:16 PM

it went away when he mentioned his budget :)

Michael Maddox
04-16-2015, 12:57 PM
it went away when he mentioned his budget :)

Yup. Totally overlooked it. Natch.

Thanks, guys.

bcroslin
04-16-2015, 02:04 PM
piling on: CAAD10 for something "racy" or a CAAD9 for something a little more comfortable.

classtimesailer
04-16-2015, 02:34 PM
I know you have components but....that Ultegra Colnago Strada is hard to beat at 1700$

dk2ck
04-16-2015, 06:56 PM
For those of you who are recommending CAAD9s over CAAD10s... what's the difference between the frames?

acorn_user
04-16-2015, 07:07 PM
I think you're on the right track. Some of the "basic" alloy frames are really quite good. I am about as tall as you, and I think you'd be better off on the L (56cm Allez). I'm not just saying this because I have one to sell ;) (although I am trying to sell it!). The larger frame has a longer head tube. I usually ride late '90's Italian steel bikes, but my Allez is still pretty nice. It's a nice stable bike, with good handling and a nice road feel. It clears 25c Michelin Lithions pretty well. You won't find many companies offering framesets around $500. Specialized used to, but now you can only get the Allez Smartweld, which costs more.

Don't forget to budget for wheels/finishing kit. That can easily add up to quite a lot of money....

killerrabbit
04-16-2015, 08:09 PM
Here are a couple other options

http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/roubaix-13

http://www.myjamis.com/SSP%20Applications/JamisBikes/MyJamis/consumer/bike.html?year=2015&model=Icon%20Pro&cat_grp=road_2

thegunner
04-16-2015, 08:27 PM
For those of you who are recommending CAAD9s over CAAD10s... what's the difference between the frames?

threaded BB if you're lucky!

Ralph
04-16-2015, 09:06 PM
threaded BB if you're lucky!

Some CAAD 9's had a threaded BB. Very desirable feature IMHO.

hockeybike
04-17-2015, 02:32 AM
On sizing:

Is your floor to crotch inseam 32" or is your pants inseam 32"? Those are two different figures. If your non-pants inseam is 32 and you're 5'10, a 56cm top tube/seat tube is likely a better fit. You should have the reach to make a 56 work, and you'll appreciate the fact that it has less drop.

On the frame:

As for CAAD9/10 and comfort, that's a wash. Get whichever one you can find in better condition, unless one has a weight limit.

How soon are oyu trying to get into racing? You might be better served on a Synapse (taller headtube) or Giant/Trek's equivalent, for the time being. One thing I never like with the comfort bikes is that they have slack headtubes in my size (54cm) and a heap of trail. Makes for slower steering than I like. You've got more weight up top than I do, though, so you might not notice the slower steering as much.

Tl;Dr: get a 56cm race or 'comfort frame', and don't pay too much.

RedRider
04-17-2015, 01:26 PM
RR, do you know if the frame can fit 28 tires? Whether 105 or Ultegra, the complete bikes are great values it appears.

The Colnago Strada SL can take 25s on any rim. Like their top race frame it's a great geometry... If you are looking to roll on 28s look at the CX Zero which is available in either aluminum or carbon. It's a great gravel grinder/Roubaix/endurance frame that can take 28s.

rx7ttlm
04-18-2015, 01:19 AM
Don't forget to budget for wheels/finishing kit. That can easily add up to quite a lot of money....

I mentioned in the original post but was maybe a bit vague. I got shimano 105 5800 11 speed groupset(Compact cranks, STI Shifters/ derailliers, brakes, etc). RS11 wheels etc. I got a thompson elite seat post, BG Toupe saddle, Bars, easton Ea90 stem, EA50 bars etc. I also got a Stages power meter and garmin 510 computer with cadence, HR, etc. I just need a good frame and maybe a bottom bracket (bearing seat) if it's different than the english 68 hollowtech II bottom bracket on the bike now.

I am hoping for a 500 dollar used frame set of Allez smart weld or CAAD 10, if I am unable to find used. I am willing to buy a 1000 dollar frame set NEW if it's the only way to get one of those to finish the bike. However since I just dropped several thousand into bikes in the last 6 months I just want a nice alloy frame that I can grow with. No sense in buying a 900 gram carbon frame if I weigh 80 lbs more then my competitors. The idea is to keep this one for a long time.

On sizing:

Is your floor to crotch inseam 32" or is your pants inseam 32"? Those are two different figures. If your non-pants inseam is 32 and you're 5'10, a 56cm top tube/seat tube is likely a better fit.

My actual crotch is 32 inches, we measured when I had my mountain bike fit.

rnhood
04-18-2015, 05:27 AM
I think if you are patient an Allez Smartweld or CAAD10 will show up on the used market. They are popular bikes, and very good ones. Given the lifetime warranty of a new Allez to the original owner, I'd talk to your Spec dealer and see if you can work a deal. But even at $1k its not a bad deal. And its new.

KonaSS
04-18-2015, 05:50 AM
No relation, just happened to see this:

http://stlbiking.com/forum/index.php?/topic/40814-14-specialized-allez-frameset-56cm/

Clydesdale
04-18-2015, 07:50 AM
You absolutely couldn't go wrong with the CAAD 9/10 but I'm a bigger guy (230ish) who put a ton of miles on an early 2000's Klein and loved it. It did everything pretty well. Maybe a little dated now but you could probably find one used for not much $ and it might be a good option.

rx7ttlm
04-19-2015, 02:09 AM
KonaSS was nice enough to post a link to a 56cm frame smartweld, I was hoping for a matte black version but at that price I have to see if it's available. There is a guy locally selling a non smart weld allez in the standard version for 120 bucks with a dent and I passed on that. I am super excited about the frame KonaSS linked. If specialized doesn't honor the warranty on second owner maybe I will paint it like the Gulf Racing scheme.

ontarget
04-19-2015, 09:19 AM
I saw that someone has already mentioned the Fuji Roubaix, and I'd like to second that. Though not as popular as some others, it's a great frame. Stiff at the BB, good geometry, and reasonably priced.

acorn_user
04-19-2015, 07:48 PM
This Pinarello Pegaso is within your budget. A team mate had one and liked it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/56cm-Pinarello-Opera-Pegsao-Road-Frame-Kestrel-EMS-Pro-Carbon-Fork-/171453423401?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27eb6b9f29

No affiliation etc :)

rx7ttlm
04-19-2015, 11:11 PM
Looks like we are on track for a deal for the Allez Smart weld for under 500 shipped for a frame bought in nov 2014.

I would like to thank everyone for their input!

ontarget
04-20-2015, 09:05 PM
Congratulations!