PDA

View Full Version : Having failed at his Paris-Roubaix quest, Wiggins announces hour record attempt

MattTuck
04-15-2015, 01:29 PM
Thought about adding this to the existing hour record threads... but I didn't.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/cyclings-bradley-wiggins-to-make-attempt-at-one-hour-record-1429114606?mod=WSJ_hp_RightTopStories

guido
04-15-2015, 02:38 PM
Having shown such overwhelming dominance at P-R, the hour is the inevitable next step...

FlashUNC
04-15-2015, 02:49 PM
Guy focuses on P-R essentially the last two years of his career and is in the winning break for a Top 10 finish in 2014, and a Top 20 in 2015.

Ain't too shabby.

If there's anyone who's going to put a real stamp on the Hour under the new rules, it'll be Wiggo.

MattTuck
04-15-2015, 03:03 PM
Not to rehash the Wiggins Paris Roubaix debate, but I think that not having Boonen or Cancellara really hurt his chances. He was way too marked. Perhaps a victim of his own hype, everyone knew he was a wheel to hold and no one was going to do any favors for him. In my view, it was a pretty good showing given the situation. But when you publicly announce your intention to win the race and then finish out of the top 10 as your swan song, it is a bit of a let down.

On the subject of the hour record, I do think he'll set a new mark and it will stand for a while. At this point, he's riding for the history books and himself. The Paris-Roubaix attempt, and this hour record attempt are meant to further cement his place as an all-around champion of cycling -- TT, grand tours, olympics, track. Maybe he comes back next year to take another run at the cobbles.

bcroslin
04-15-2015, 03:14 PM
I'm not a huge Wiggo fan-boy but I thought he had a pretty good ride this year but just didn't have what it took to hang with the final break in the last 20k. He looked strong attacking the cobbles towards the end of the race and 18th isn't terrible but it obviously ain't the podium.

As for the hour record, not sure why he's bothering except that maybe it will help him transition back to the track.

Mark McM
04-15-2015, 03:31 PM
Not to rehash the Wiggins Paris Roubaix debate, but I think that not having Boonen or Cancellara really hurt his chances. He was way too marked. Perhaps a victim of his own hype, everyone knew he was a wheel to hold and no one was going to do any favors for him. In my view, it was a pretty good showing given the situation. But when you publicly announce your intention to win the race and then finish out of the top 10 as your swan song, it is a bit of a let down.

You would have thought he would have learned his lesson after the 2012 London Olympics. The UK cycling team boasted that they were the strongest team in the race, and Wiggins virtually guaranteed that he would deliver Mark Cavendish to the win. The UK team probably were the strongest team, but the entire field marked the UK team the entire race. The UK team ended up doing most of the the work for the majority of the race, and all their riders were spent at the finish. They were unable to provide much assistance at all to Cavendish, who finished 29th (highest UK finish).

malbecman
04-15-2015, 03:31 PM
I will need to stream this one..... :)

firerescuefin
04-15-2015, 03:33 PM
As for the hour record, not sure why he's bothering except that maybe it will help him transition back to the track.

He is on great form...and has the chance to put a number in the books that isn't likely to be broken.....for a long while. That's a pretty good reason.

guido
04-15-2015, 06:41 PM
As if Cancellara and Boonen were not totally marked every time they rode the race? The difference between talking a good game is delivering on your potential is what makes a real champion. His track results are fine. But on the road he didn't really deliver, and his non-stop ego about P-R is was getting a bit hard to take...

velomonkey
04-15-2015, 06:50 PM
The whole hour thing has wicked changed given the new rules with equipment - Roubaix has not . . and still a grand tour winner did well. Hasn't happened since LeMond and Hinualt (Armstrong never lined up, Pantanni never did - Indurain - really does't count).

He will win the hour record - I'd bet on it.

MattTuck
04-15-2015, 07:17 PM
As if Cancellara and Boonen were not totally marked every time they rode the race? The difference between talking a good game is delivering on your potential is what makes a real champion. His track results are fine. But on the road he didn't really deliver, and his non-stop ego about P-R is was getting a bit hard to take...

That is what makes their victories all the more impressive, in my opinion. To line up as a champion and still dominate the race... that is special. I'm not sure that Wiggins ever had the potential to be a Paris-Roubaix legend, but I certainly think he had the chops to win an edition of it given the right circumstances. Him being a favorite didn't help his cause, and (as you note) his ego driven hype machine didn't do him any favors. He'd have been much better served to publicly state that the Tour of California was his final race (defending his title would make sense), and that he was riding the cobbles to support his teammates, but secretly focused on Roubaix. Him and Brailsford were too interested in a 'victory tour' and having a proper exit. It cost them.

In a grand tour, maybe there is enough time to wear down your opponents, even if they know what's coming. One day racing is a bit more dynamic in how the tactics play out and the results unfold a bit quicker.

firerescuefin
04-15-2015, 07:19 PM
. His track results are fine. But on the road he didn't really deliver.

Numerous wins (both individual races and multi stage events), An olympic gold medal in the TT, TT World Champion....and a Tour de France win. You're right, the guy should have never left the track. :rolleyes:

wallymann
04-15-2015, 07:38 PM
...Him being a favorite didn't help his cause, and (as you note) his ego driven hype machine didn't do him any favors. He'd have been much better served to publicly state that the Tour of California was his final race (defending his title would make sense), and that he was riding the cobbles to support his teammates, but secretly focused on Roubaix. Him and Brailsford were too interested in a 'victory tour' and having a proper exit. It cost them....

wiggo should have pulled a hinault: "roubaix is a race for dickheads" -- go full-hater in public, but in preparation make it his grail. of course his love/respect for the event wouldnt let him do that, but i think it would have served him better!

guido
04-15-2015, 08:03 PM
His TT achievements are an extension of his track work. (His timing to peak as the best TT riders of the generation were either injured or past their prime was fortunate...) But his TDF win was provided by Froome who actually needed to be restrained by management from blowing Wiggins out of the water on the key stage of the race. Again fortunate timing with the injuries and suspensions that year...

Numerous wins (both individual races and multi stage events), An olympic gold medal in the TT, TT World Champion....and a Tour de France win. You're right, the guy should have never left the track. :rolleyes:

ultraman6970
04-15-2015, 08:14 PM
IMO in P-R wiggo just did not have the legs, simple as that. He tried twice to pull up a cancellara and he couldnt drop basically anybody. Not saying wiggo is a bad rider but he doesnt have what FC, EM and Hinault had and have... the wish of winning. FC wins in the classics are just spectaculars... dropping everybody at will eventhought he was really marked aswell. I respect wiggo but crap... if the conditions are perfect he can't pull up a fabian cancellara or an EM performance, he is missing that... heart.

As for the hour record, he might do it, he might not. At this point with him who knows because if that morning he wakes up pissed off probably he wont try it.

jlwdm
04-15-2015, 08:26 PM
His TT achievements are an extension of his track work. (His timing to peak as the best TT riders of the generation were either injured or past their prime was fortunate...) But his TDF win was provided by Froome who actually needed to be restrained by management from blowing Wiggins out of the water on the key stage of the race. Again fortunate timing with the injuries and suspensions that year...

I am not a big Wiggins fan but your arguments are sure one sided. Maybe the best TT riders of the generation that you refer to were lucky not to have to compete with Wiggins. Also, there is a big difference in pressure and expectation being a team leader like Wiggins the year he won and Froome riding in support. The next year there was talk that Richie Porte was stronger than Froome. And now many members of this forum don't think Froome even knows how to ride a bike.

Every year and every race there are riders injured and past their prime. So would you discount all victories by all riders?

Jeff

jlwdm
04-15-2015, 08:32 PM
... I respect wiggo but crap... if the conditions are perfect he can't pull up a fabian cancellara or an EM performance, he is missing that... heart.

Seems to me he has a lot of heart. Track racing takes a lot of heart. Winning the tour when no one thinks you have the skills took a lot of heart.

Jeff

firerescuefin
04-15-2015, 08:53 PM

He dominated that entire year. Go look at the results. I won't argue that Froome wasn't the stronger rider, so he was what, the second strongest in that race, but did enough to win. He was on an off day, but still top 15. To call him a track rider is Myopic at best.

r_mutt
04-15-2015, 08:56 PM
exactly how many road wins does Wiggo have?

lot's off TT wins, but not many on the road.

ultraman6970
04-15-2015, 09:11 PM
This is the thing... have a lot more than I do and many pro have but his thing is the track and in specific pursuit... no idea if the dude can pull up a per point race for example, being that many pursuit riders do per points... for example "the missile" won some stuff in the world track cups that doesnt go with him too much.

The TdF win he has was almost a no win because in the last? climbing stage he was pissed because somebody else dropped him (you guys know who), win is a win but if you ask probably nobody even remember his TdF win at all, next year he did not do crap, the giro was a disaster aswell...

Heart is to just pull a race win out of your butt eventhought you are being marked by the bests... cancellara IMO is the best representation of what having heart means, besides the team he had was just bad compared with what wiggo brings to the races. Last year's P-R thought wiggo was going for it in the last 4 or 5 km... TT style... nothing happened. This year 3 attacks?? none of them worked... not that dont like him but...

exactly how many road wins does Wiggo have?

lot's off TT wins, but not many on the road.