PDA

View Full Version : Should I have told him?

fairwent
04-13-2015, 03:24 PM
While riding yesterday I passed a gentlemen who at first seemed to be riding with his helmet tipped too far back - with the forehead not covered. A closer look though let me see the helmet was on backwards. Should I have told him?

It should be noted that he was riding a nice Cervelo with proper bike shorts, shoes and pedals. This was not someone that picked up the bike and helmet at the big box store.

Opinions?

eddief
04-13-2015, 03:36 PM
"just curious..." then not much to worry about.

mg2ride
04-13-2015, 03:38 PM
Hell No!

"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn?"

Cicli
04-13-2015, 03:46 PM
Nah. Who cares. He was having fun. Thats all that matters.

bcroslin
04-13-2015, 03:48 PM
While riding yesterday I passed a gentlemen who at first seemed to be riding with his helmet tipped too far back - with the forehead not covered. A closer look though let me see the helmet was on backwards. Should I have told him?

It should be noted that he was riding a nice Cervelo with proper bike shorts, shoes and pedals. This was not someone that picked up the bike and helmet at the big box store.

Opinions?

This is one of the first signs of spring. Consider yourself lucky to have witnessed the emergence of the warm weather Fred.

ultraman6970
04-13-2015, 03:52 PM
Saw a few of those yesterday and today already.

You cant tell them anything sometimes, because they dont listen... curiously enough... always are middle age and up dudes. In the opposite side if the person was a woman... probably she would have tell you to adjust the helmet for her.

sweet_johnny
04-13-2015, 03:58 PM
A saw a woman wearing a helmet backwards yesterday as well. When I pointed it out to my wife she said, "maybe she's making a statement."

My philosophy: giving unsolicited advice makes you come off like a douche.

bcroslin
04-13-2015, 04:03 PM
http://stolengoat.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/all-the-gear-no-idea.jpg

Bruce K
04-13-2015, 04:09 PM
I'm not sure what I would do

Helmets are designed to function a certain way and wearing them backwards significantly recuces the protection they provide

If you could figure out a way to politely and comfortably raise the safety flag then I would try to say something

Otherwise.... Not worth a possible confrontation

BK

sparky33
04-13-2015, 04:10 PM
This is one of the first signs of spring. Consider yourself lucky to have witnessed the emergence of the warm weather Fred.

Ha! True.

djg21
04-13-2015, 04:15 PM

Opinions?

I would have said something. Maybe he was in a rush on the way out the door and got discombobulated. The worst thing he could do is say thanks then ignore you.

josephr
04-13-2015, 04:25 PM
people do dumb things sometimes and just don't notice if they're in the moment or their minds are pre-occupied --- forgotten sunglasses, gloves, helmet on backwards ---- probably would've appreciated a friendly catch.

Tony T
04-13-2015, 04:27 PM
I would have.

soulspinner
04-13-2015, 04:54 PM
I would have.

YA. WHAT IF HE CRASHED AROUND THE CORNER? :hello:

unterhausen
04-13-2015, 05:00 PM
I learned this one from Miss Manners: "sir, I think there is something wrong with your helmet"

Dead Man
04-13-2015, 05:02 PM
Nope.

I've had so little success with trying to "help" people, and have had so little gratitude for people trying to "help" me, that I'm not inviting hostility for sake of someone who may or may not want "help" at all.

The exception to this would be if it was someone that I otherwise had something to do with - someone in our group, someone I'm having an unrelated friendly conversation with, etc.. Ice has already been broken, and reception might be had.

mecse
04-13-2015, 05:11 PM

Opinions?

When I see this I tell people. I did so once last year.

I think that infrequent cyclists are the most frequent to get hurt ( I don't have stats handy!) and this kind of thing would make it worse. At worst you have a funny "what a schmuck" story to post here.

OtayBW
04-13-2015, 05:40 PM
I certainly wouldn't have chased him down to tell him this news, but if I had happened to stop at the same convenience store as he and happened to have struck up a conversation, I might have told him....

ultraman6970
04-13-2015, 05:46 PM
Maybe the dude has a head like an alien...

This reminds me the chick in the university that was putting the 5 1/4 floppies upside down and complaining why nothing worked :D

slidey
04-13-2015, 05:46 PM
I would have.

If he's going to be immature about it, I can't help it - at least I've done my bit.

cat6
04-13-2015, 05:47 PM
"You may want to adjust your helmet I think it might be on incorrectly. Better safe than sorry! Have a good ride!"

SlackMan
04-13-2015, 05:50 PM
Yep, I would have. He can use the information or not, but I would like to think that I potentially helped him be safer if he follows the advice.

drewellison
04-13-2015, 06:05 PM
Rally helmet. His team must have been behind.
Drew

Steve in SLO
04-13-2015, 06:14 PM
I have said something in the past, and have never received anything but thanks. Done with little humility and never in front of anybody else, it seems less threatening and judgmental.

fairwent
04-13-2015, 06:50 PM
The posted photo looks about right.

Let me be clear in that I was not suggesting to make a sport of the observation. My question truly was about the safety aspect. I am very quick to talk with my kid's friends to explain the proper way to wear helmets. The goal is to protect the head if/when needed.

Tony
04-13-2015, 07:19 PM
Maybe he likes getting attention. Putting a helmet on backwards is lacking some smarts.
If he looked somewhat challenged, I would have said something.
"Hey, never thought about wearing my helmet backwards. You feel a difference in drag?"

blessthismess
04-13-2015, 08:57 PM
Don't bother. It is really , really simple to tell which end of any helmet is the front. Either the guy is knowingly wearing it backwards or he is a little slow on the uptake. Only point something like that out if the rider is under 10 or over 70 years old.

93legendti
04-13-2015, 09:05 PM
The approach is key. The times giving unsolicited advice has worked for me, I stated something like: "I hate when people give me unsolicited advice, and feel free to ignore me, but I think your helmet is on backwards. I hope I am not offending you..." I think it's good to chat casually first..."Hey, how you doing? Nice for a ride, huh?"

seanile
04-13-2015, 09:36 PM
"hey, sorry to be that guy, but, your helmet is on backwards. safe ride!"
*quickly turn down a side road before they can respond*

fiamme red
04-13-2015, 09:37 PM
I'm very hesitant to give advice to strangers.

I saw a teenager on the subway, sitting with a mountain bike. I was thinking of pointing out to him how to use a wheel quick-release properly -- he had just turned the lever like a wingnut until the bike wheel seemed tight. Also, his rear derailleur cable was about a foot too long, so that it would be a real hazard if if got snagged on something.

But the kid seemed pretty absorbed in listening to his iPod, so I just decided not to say anything.

oldpotatoe
04-14-2015, 06:16 AM
Nope.

I've had so little success with trying to "help" people, and have had so little gratitude for people trying to "help" me, that I'm not inviting hostility for sake of someone who may or may not want "help" at all.

The exception to this would be if it was someone that I otherwise had something to do with - someone in our group, someone I'm having an unrelated friendly conversation with, etc.. Ice has already been broken, and reception might be had.

In spite of the above, which I have seen also..got yelled at by a woman when I asked if she needed anything..I would have 'mentioned' that 'did ya know your helmet is on backwards'..and that's it..kinda like telling some guy his fly is open.

ultraman6970
04-14-2015, 06:38 AM
People is like that sometimes.

pbarry
04-14-2015, 07:42 AM
Over the years, I've struck up conversations with a dozen or more riders with wacked out saddle positions. Almost all were willing to try an adjustment and were thankful for the help, (we're talking severe toes down because saddle was too high, or knees bumping chest cause too low).

The helmet thing? Unless they're a friend, would not go there. :eek:

Grant McLean
04-14-2015, 08:04 AM
Was it the Beiber?

http://teenchive.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Justin-Bieber-white-backwards-cap-white-shirt-black-khakis.jpg

rugbysecondrow
04-14-2015, 08:44 AM
I told somebody this weekend that his helmet was on backwards, but it was my 5 year old son, even he told me "its fine Dad!".

Seramount
04-14-2015, 09:05 AM
if people want to wear their helmet backwards, let em...

it's a good visual signal for the rest of us to give them extra room when passing.

zap
04-14-2015, 09:09 AM

Opinions?

Yes.

"Excuse me, sorry to bother you.…….."

Fatty
04-14-2015, 09:47 AM

That's the optional hot weather fit. Ram air cooling.

redir
04-14-2015, 10:03 AM
I've never seen some one do that before but I remember doing it myself once. As soon as I put it on backwards it immediately didn't feel right. Thought there was something wrong with it till I realized ... duh!

Nut then I've been known to wear a shirt inside out too. I'm regularly known as the absent minded professor. :help:

Shortsocks
04-14-2015, 10:11 AM
I told somebody this weekend that his helmet was on backwards, but it was my 5 year old son, even he told me "its fine Dad!".

:)

"It's fine Dad!" --ahhhh youth. Dad doesn't know anything. Love it.

rpm
04-14-2015, 10:17 AM
I learned this one from Miss Manners: "sir, I think there is something wrong with your helmet"

I see too many tipped-back helmets to say anything. The last time I intervened like this was when I saw a guy riding along with the quick release on his front wheel open. "Sir, I think you have a problem with your wheel." He was actually appreciative when i showed him how to work it.

jmoore
04-15-2015, 01:12 PM
"Who are you, my mother?"

pdmtong
04-15-2015, 01:33 PM
I see too many tipped-back helmets to say anything. The last time I intervened like this was when I saw a guy riding along with the quick release on his front wheel open. "Sir, I think you have a problem with your wheel." He was actually appreciative when i showed him how to work it.

tip-backed helmets, loose helmet straps, ill-fitted helmet straps - you see this all the time with kids. I'd be correcting everyone at the park if I chose to speak up. the shame of it that 90% of those helmets would be completely ineffective in a crash - even a low speed tip over - based on how they are fitted.

if I saw a QR open though I would definitely say something.

summilux
04-15-2015, 03:36 PM
I'm very hesitant to give advice to strangers.

^^This. I ride helmetless a lot and I really hate those who point out verbally or otherwise that I am "supposed" to have a helmet. Wanna ride with your helmet on bakcwards? Sure. Wanna ride with your QR on the wrong side, clincher label not aligned with valve, Rapha jersey and Assos shorts?. Sure. Spell colour without the "u". OK by me.

OTOH, if we are in the same group ride or drinking post-ride, all of those are all fair game and we can laugh about it.

rugbysecondrow
04-15-2015, 03:40 PM
If somebody had their QR open, shoe lace wrapped around the pedal, or some other impending disaster, then I would say something. If it were a helmet, it would depend on the situation.

rileystylee
04-15-2015, 04:02 PM
I would have probably laughed to myself but said nothing...
Reminds me of a few years ago surfing and watch a guy struggle to put on his wetsuit doing the zip up at the front... He managed to do it up and then promptly walked into the waves much to me and a mate's amusement

SpokeValley
04-15-2015, 04:16 PM
Depends on the circumstances, but I tend to be as friendly as possible. Lots of good ideas here, as usual.

Like many comments here, a "nice day for a ride" opener and then, like someone said, "I'm not trying to offend you but I believe you're wearing your helmet backwards. It might hurt you more than help if you were to crash."

They called me "The Safety Officer" when I was a Scout leader...I don't mind at least trying to help.

And the picture of the tri-fred is awesome. :) He's happy to be motoring along...

Tony T
04-15-2015, 05:52 PM
I would have probably laughed to myself but said nothing...
Reminds me of a few years ago surfing and watch a guy struggle to put on his wetsuit doing the zip up at the front... He managed to do it up and then promptly walked into the waves much to me and a mate's amusement

Yeah, its hilarious to see someone struggle and do nothing, and if they injure themselves, even better….. :rolleyes: