PDA

View Full Version : Bibs: In or out? Fashion Policia report!

William
04-13-2015, 11:42 AM
Is there a new fashion trend going on out there that I’m not aware of?

I did a lot of riding/training/racing in my early years of cycling and have been riding for fun and exercise since the early 00’s, and I can’t remember ever seeing anyone riding with their bibs on the outside of their jersey. The last five or six years I’ve see a few folks in group event/ride photos that were wearing them that way and I just figured they were new riders that didn’t know better. So far in this short early season I’ve seen quite a few folks wearing bibs on the outside of the jersey, three separate riders just today alone. I’m not a fashion hound so I don’t tend to pay attention, but am I that far behind the times that it’s now “cool” to do that?

What gives?:confused:

Personally I don’t think they were designed to be worn that way, and you won’t catch me doing it, but to each their own I guess.:)

William

MattTuck
04-13-2015, 11:47 AM
Maybe this has something to do with it? (http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7EcD/2015-toyota-corolla-coach-t-sporty-look) It played on a lot of NFL games this past year.

Not sure how you approach this delicate topic, people are self conscious enough when they're wearing spandex. Perhaps just a question like, "Do you find it difficult to deal with your jersey pockets when you wear your bib like that?"

InspectorGadget
04-13-2015, 11:48 AM
I liken it to seeing a distinct panty line under a woman's shorts, they just don't know better.

lhuerta
04-13-2015, 11:58 AM
The last five or six years I’ve see a few folks in group event/ride photos that were wearing them that way and I just figured they were new riders that didn’t know better.

...this ^^^

tmf
04-13-2015, 12:05 PM
Maybe they have to pee a lot?

I've never seen that around here.

Lewis Moon
04-13-2015, 12:06 PM
I liken it to seeing a distinct panty line under a woman's shorts, they just don't know better.

...or an early morning, dress in the dark mistake. See my post about discovering I had my shorts on inside out. :o

unterhausen
04-13-2015, 12:15 PM
I've done it, and I don't remember why. In general, I ride with an undershirt and a jersey, and I'd rather go without the jersey than without the undershirt.

InspectorGadget
04-13-2015, 12:16 PM
See my post about discovering I had my shorts on inside out. :oOh my hell, that made me laugh!

joosttx
04-13-2015, 12:17 PM
Haven't seen it on the west coast. That style makes no sense.

FlashUNC
04-13-2015, 12:21 PM
Haven't seen it on the west coast. That style makes no sense.

You haven't East Bay'd it enough. I've seen it over here, most recently a couple weeks back coming down a hill and passed a guy going up with that, um, odd set up.

People do weird stuff. Not as bad as the aero helmet on backwards...

Lewis Moon
04-13-2015, 12:26 PM

Gawd..You'd look like a deranged toucan....

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb238/farm_lim/20090622_74ed5fcdc3ca0189af5aR3UiyV.jpg

joosttx
04-13-2015, 12:31 PM
You haven't East Bay'd it enough. I've seen it over here, most recently a couple weeks back coming down a hill and passed a guy going up with that, um, odd set up.

I'm really looking forward for east bay riding and BBQ eating in a couple weeks.

FlashUNC
04-13-2015, 12:47 PM
I'm really looking forward for east bay riding and BBQ eating in a couple weeks.

Who doesn't want to see bibs-on-the-outside and recumbent trikes?

gdw
04-13-2015, 01:00 PM
What gives? Blame Rapha. Their new Team Sky kit is responsible for the trend.

odin99
04-13-2015, 01:13 PM
i will admit... one day when i got dressed in the dark and rolled out at 5:30am (sunrise was 6:30ish)... i put my bibbers on inside out. :eek: luckily i noticed and make a quick stop at a starbucks 20min into my ride before any other rides were on the road.

sweet_johnny
04-13-2015, 01:17 PM
Oh my. The sacrifices people make in the name of fashion...

OtayBW
04-13-2015, 01:17 PM
Bibs on the outside? Um...nope.
However, I think a more serious infraction is when the woman behind you in a paceline yells out that 'You need a new pair of bibs. I can see your butt crack!'. :eek:

William
04-13-2015, 01:21 PM
What gives? Blame Rapha. Their new Team Sky kit is responsible for the trend.

I WANT TO SEE.....BRADLEY WIGGINS RIDE INTO.....A LARCH!

William

bcroslin
04-13-2015, 01:23 PM
one word: triathletes

sweet_johnny
04-13-2015, 02:51 PM
^ This.

Red Tornado
04-13-2015, 03:25 PM
Not quite the same thing as this thread is about, but riders (usually triathletes) who wear a sleeveless jersey/skinsuit/singlet with arm warmers; leaving most of their shoulders down to about mid-bicep exposed to the cold/wind.

Keith A
04-13-2015, 03:30 PM
William -- Can't say I've ever seen this one. You must have some interesting folks up there in RI ;)

R3awak3n
04-13-2015, 03:59 PM
i will admit... one day when i got dressed in the dark and rolled out at 5:30am (sunrise was 6:30ish)... i put my bibbers on inside out. :eek: luckily i noticed and make a quick stop at a starbucks 20min into my ride before any other rides were on the road.

this has almost happened to me. Damn assos bibs with their tags on the outside, sometimes I get confused because some of those tags should be on the inside.

enr1co
04-13-2015, 04:28 PM
perhaps the person first saw this image when getting into cycling and thought if OK for the bibs straps to be showing ;)

http://www.japantoday.com/images/size/578x/2013/10/sumocyc.jpg

veggieburger
04-13-2015, 04:32 PM
Used to be a guy on our group rides who would wear a polka dot climbers jersey under his bibs. Same thing every ride. Couldn't ride his way out of a wet paper bag, but had a $6,000 Pinarello. Awesome.

Steve in SLO
04-13-2015, 06:26 PM
Active threads on backward helmets and outside of Jersey bibs?
Spring has sprung!

I will add that bibs outside of jerseys are kind of like wearing your jockstrap outside of your shorts.

marciero
04-13-2015, 06:46 PM
I will add that bibs outside of jerseys are kind of like wearing your jockstrap outside of your shorts.

Years ago I bought a couple of pairs of wind-front underwear. They were great at keeping the chill off when it was not cold enough for wind front tights but too cold for regular tights. They were not too comfortable underneath, so I had the idea of wearing them on the outside. That way you could whip them off when it got warmer, or put them on when you started freezing the sensitive parts. It was only to be worn during early morning or late commutes, and was black-on-black, so would not even be noticeable to the casual observer. Girlfriend wouldn't let me out of the house.

Ken Robb
04-13-2015, 07:18 PM
I tried bibs but found them a little hot and itchy plus being slightly more trouble at potty breaks. The only practical reason I can imagine making a guy wear them outside of his jersey would be if the straps were so tight that they dug into his skin without the jersey as a buffer.

HenryA
04-13-2015, 07:58 PM
snipped......

Girlfriend wouldn't let me out of the house.

I hope you thanked her later.

:p

VTCaraco
04-13-2015, 08:08 PM

My wife always tries to convince me to wear my bibs inside out as a Halloween monkey costume. I hold strong :no:

Per the original query, I saw a guy yesterday (VT/NY border near Cambridge/Bennington) with bib tights outside of his jersey. I giggled a little, but tipped the hat that he was out enjoying the weather.

pakora
04-13-2015, 08:12 PM
http://road.cc/content/review/123992-sugoi-rs-pro-bib-shorts

http://road.cc/sites/default/files/imagecache/preview_500/images/Sugoi%20RS%20Pro%20Bib%20Short/Sugoi%20RS%20Pro%20Bib%20Short.jpg

velomonkey
04-13-2015, 08:19 PM
I did not name the file . . . .

rugbysecondrow
04-14-2015, 08:38 AM
I think I have done this, if I remember, I did this for the following reason:

I was wearing a base layer and not a jersey, but thinking the base layer should be closest to my skin to be most effective. (under armor type of shirt). Can't remember if it was cold or warm weather riding, probably colder weather riding. When it is hot, I have been known to just wear the bibs with no shirt, in both triathlons as well as just cycling.

I never gave a thought about whether is was a fashion no no...I also don't wear matching gear or shave my legs, so I am already in the dog house.