PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate blade for cutting carbon steerer

Robbos
04-13-2015, 11:17 AM
I need to cut down the carbon steerer on my Easton carbon steerer cross fork. I've heard different things about the appropriate tools, some say a 32tpi blade is fine. Basically, I'd rather buy a decent blade at the local hardware store than an overpriced bike-specific product. Unless that product was absolutely neccesary... Oh and I will of course be doing all the other proper preps like using a cutting guide, taping the fork, and not breathing the nasty carbon particles!

odin99
04-13-2015, 11:20 AM
use a Dremel rotary tool! the regular disc cutting tool cuts through carbon almost like butter.

eddief
04-13-2015, 11:20 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RflE5p3OPgM

ultraman6970
04-13-2015, 11:25 AM
Dont forget if you use a dremel to put some maskin tape around, just where you are going to cut so the carbon doesnt shatters (thats the word right?)

DRietz
04-13-2015, 11:26 AM
Yeah, any fine tooth blade with work fine. Dremels also work fine.

Don't sweat it too much - it's really not that hard. ;)

Lewis Moon
04-13-2015, 11:27 AM
I just use an old fashioned hack saw. I once used an expensive Japanese woodworking saw and it worked a treat, but killed the blade. I usually just cut it a bit long, cut slow, I don't "force" it (let the saw do the work, new blade is best) and I always wrap about 4 turns of masking tape just below the cut. I finish it off on the belt sander to get a nice, square end with rounded edges. Be sure to round off the inner edges too. Clean, sanded cuts are less likely to delam.

oldpotatoe
04-13-2015, 11:34 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RflE5p3OPgM

What he said although the Park holder/guide, held in a vice, is more secure, IMHO

HillDancer
04-13-2015, 11:35 AM
Carbide grit hacksaw blade, check for errant particles and knock them off before using, measure blade thickness, Park SG-6 guide with shims (http://www.amazon.com/Brake-Caliper-Alignment-Shims-11-5mm/dp/B00N9UXV68) added for accurate blade gap.

eddief
04-13-2015, 11:48 AM
holder thingy makes for fewer things moving around at the same time you are wondering if you are phucking it up.

Reminds me of the time I took my new Enve fork, including blackout decals applied by Firefly - to the LBS to have them cut the steerer. I had marked the steerer with a piece of tape to show them where I wanted it cut. They cut on the wrong side of the tape. Of course they bought me a new fork, sent it to Firefly for decals, and then finally cut it correctly. Now I do them myself.

What he said although the Park holder/guide, held in a vice, is more secure, IMHO

54ny77
04-13-2015, 12:12 PM
http://media.comicbook.com/uploads1/2014/07/blade-103956.jpg

Black Dog
04-13-2015, 01:26 PM
Make sure not to breath in the dust!!!! Seriously. Use a good mask and ventilation. If you plan on using a shop vac then make sure you have a hepa filter in it. Any high speed rotary tool will kick up a lot of dust compare to a hand powered saw.

d_douglas
04-13-2015, 01:41 PM
This may be a dumb question, but what do I use to cut an alloy steerer? (i.e., a Rockshox Recon fork?)

I need to chop mine.

Black Dog
04-13-2015, 01:44 PM
This may be a dumb question, but what do I use to cut an alloy steerer? (i.e., a Rockshox Recon fork?)

I need to chop mine.

Hacksaw. You can use a hose clamp as a cutting guide.

eBAUMANN
04-13-2015, 01:49 PM
32t (carbon) or 24t (steel) hacksaw blade with a park cutting guide.
its really not that complicated...

yes park makes special blades for carbon but then you also need to get their guide with a larger slot for that blade.
ive used both and dont really notice a difference. never had any issues with fraying or cracking.

milkbaby
04-13-2015, 01:58 PM
Carbide grit hacksaw blade, check for errant particles and knock them off before using, measure blade thickness, Park SG-6 guide with shims (http://www.amazon.com/Brake-Caliper-Alignment-Shims-11-5mm/dp/B00N9UXV68) added for accurate blade gap.

^+1 for the above... You can get the carbide saw blade at any good hardware store. Instead of forking out for the Park cutting guide, you can just do a hose clamp from the hardware store too.

Like the other poster who had a shop cut on the wrong side of the tape marking, when you do it yourself, you only have yourself to blame. I'd rather blame myself than have a misunderstanding with the LBS. :)

oldpotatoe
04-13-2015, 04:58 PM

I need to chop mine.

Same stuff as for carbon steerer. File edges and inside when yer done to remove lip(s).

Robbos
04-13-2015, 07:11 PM
Cool, thanks for the feedback everyone! No question I'll be ultra-careful throughout the whole process. Only nervous as I'm usually a steel kinda guy, what with its much greater margin for ham-fistedness.

regularguy412
04-13-2015, 07:44 PM
Hacksaw. You can use a hose clamp as a cutting guide.

This ^^ is what I did 2 weekends ago on my new Enve fork. I used a 32 TPI hacksaw blade (brand new). I also found that if you need to do a little minor cleanup on the cut edge to make it 'perfectly' square, a fine grit grinding wheel on a bench grinder works great. Just use the side (flat) surface of the wheel for the face work.

Mike in AR:beer:

Grant McLean
04-13-2015, 08:15 PM
Cool, thanks for the feedback everyone! No question I'll be ultra-careful throughout the whole process. Only nervous as I'm usually a steel kinda guy, what with its much greater margin for ham-fistedness.

A carbon steerer is surprisingly soft. The first time you draw a blade across
you'll probaby think, "i thought this would be harder!"

Take some care not to blow out the final few strokes. I usually start on the opposite side,
and then rotate 180 degrees and cut though from there.

-g

Dead Man
04-13-2015, 08:20 PM
Another vote for hacksaw. I score the steerer with a utility knife on the bike, pull it off, and just follow the score mark with the hacksaw. I also like to bevel the new top edge of the steerer just slightly with fine grit sandpaper - just drag the cut edge across a sheet, twisting as you go... helps with getting your sealed bearing caps on and without damaging the o-ring

iPaul
04-14-2015, 03:49 AM
What ever you do don't use a pipe cutter. Yes, I saw a shop use one on my new carbon fork :eek:. Kept tightening and then spinning. The cracking sound just didn't sound right. Luckily I had more to remove and appears no real damage (I hope).

Hacksaw and my park guide is the way to go.

Black Dog
04-14-2015, 06:32 AM
What ever you do don't use a pipe cutter. Yes, I saw a shop use one on my new carbon fork :eek:. Kept tightening and then spinning. The cracking sound just didn't sound right. Luckily I had more to remove and appears no real damage (I hope).

The word incompetent just got a new meaning!!!!!!!! :eek:

Lewis Moon
04-14-2015, 08:06 AM

Jay Eff Cee. I've always said that intelligence is basically having an adequate and varied data set and a fast processor to cross reference for analogs.
That wrench was missing one, or both.

I don't even like using a pipe cutter on steel steering tubes. It leaves a bit of a lip on the outside of the tube which you have to take down in order to get it past the O-ring.

Overall, my best piece of advice is to always mark it and cut it a bit long. Always. I know that's pretty intuitive but, you would be amazed just how many places you can make a measurement/marking/cutting mistake. If you are using a hack saw w/o a guide, the blade will invariably wander a bit. and Murph says: it will wander short. If you have a nice belt sander (cheap, and a very useful piece of kit) you can square the belt to the table/guide and just roll the steerer on the table, against the belt, for a perfectly even finish. Be careful here, too; you can take a lot off pretty quick.
Just remember, that's $300 and a paint job you are working with. Never opt for using your eyeball and/or a ruler in the final fitting. Always fit everything (stem, spacers, compression plug properly torqued before you make the final trim. And don't be in too much of a hurry to trim it to its final, shortest length. Ride for a week or so with a spacer above the stem to make sure your fit is right. You can always take more off, but the alternative is just ugly.

oldpotatoe
04-14-2015, 08:16 AM
Jay Eff Cee. I've always said that intelligence is basically having an adequate and varied data set and a fast processor to cross reference for analogs.
That wrench was missing one, or both.

I don't even like using a pipe cutter on steel steering tubes. It leaves a bit of a lip on the outside of the tube which you have to take down in order to get it past the O-ring.

Overall, my best piece of advice is to always mark it and cut it a bit long. Always. I know that's pretty intuitive but, you would be amazed just how many places you can make a measurement/marking/cutting mistake. If you are using a hack saw w/o a guide, the blade will invariably wander a bit. and Murph says: it will wander short. If you have a nice belt sander (cheap, and a very useful piece of kit) you can square the belt to the table/guide and just roll the steerer on the table, against the belt, for a perfectly even finish. Be careful here, too; you can take a lot off pretty quick.
Just remember, that's $300 and a paint job you are working with. Never opt for using your eyeball and/or a ruler in the final fitting. Always fit everything (stem, spacers, compression plug properly torqued before you make the final trim. And don't be in too much of a hurry to trim it to its final, shortest length. Ride for a week or so with a spacer above the stem to make sure your fit is right. You can always take more off, but the alternative is just ugly.

With carbon steerers, you should have a wee spacer above the stem anyway. So the stem clamp, clamps on all steerer.