PDA

View Full Version : OT: Honda Ridgeline

Rich_W
04-17-2006, 09:59 AM
->Sensible, Cool, Versitile?

->Clown Car?

->Just Plain Fugly?

->Wouldn't buy it even if it came with a free bowl of soup?

I need to make a decision on a new pickup this week.

I want a more fuel efficient truck... looking at the Ridgeline and the Fronteir... I like the Taco, but the seats are so low, feels like you are sitting on the floor.

I just got rid of my 03 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4. Which is soo comfortable and plush... like a tahoe, escalade... whatnot. But mine had a couple of 'issues' so I sold it before I had to put some money into it.

Other options... get another full size, Chevy, F150, etc... and just deal with the additional $1000 in annual fuel costs... hmmm.

On the highway, the Chevy got 18... The Japanese trucks get about 20... not that big of a difference.

I know not too many folks here drive trucks... but opinions are always good.

JohnS
04-17-2006, 10:18 AM
18 vs 20 is 10%. It adds up...
The Ridgeline looks like a mini-me Avalanche to me. That is NOT an endorsement. :)

Bud
04-17-2006, 10:34 AM
FWIW personally, I don't think the Honda is a real truck. They make cars, not trucks. Of course it depends on what you want a truck for. You had a real truck in the Chevy, but I can totally see the desire to downsize. I used to drive 4WD F250's but then downsized to a 4WD extended cab Ranger, which I absolutely love. If I had to get a new truck today, I'd get another Ranger. Mine (although 9 years old, now) is dependable, gets 23 mpg on the highway, is a V6, is rugged enough to go off road, and it's comfortable.

Good luck making the decision- let us know how it turns out.

kestrel
04-17-2006, 10:38 AM
If you are planning on using an in-the-bed bike rack, you might want to check the size of the Honda's bed. My F-150 SuperCrew just has enough room for the bikes on a bike board. I think the Honda is much shorter.

Here's a pic with the bike board in the back. With the tailgate up, the bike is about 4 or 5 inches from the tailgate.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e19/serotta/truckrack_unpainted.jpg

Rich_W
04-17-2006, 10:51 AM
I tell you... I would love a new F150 extra cab... I just love that truck. But considering the gas outlook, would I be crazy to get that?

Ozz
04-17-2006, 10:58 AM
FWIW personally, I don't think the Honda is a real truck. They make cars, not trucks. Of course it depends on what you want a truck for. You had a real truck in the Chevy, but I can totally see the desire to downsize. I used to drive 4WD F250's but then downsized to a 4WD extended cab Ranger, which I absolutely love. If I had to get a new truck today, I'd get another Ranger. Mine (although 9 years old, now) is dependable, gets 23 mpg on the highway, is a V6, is rugged enough to go off road, and it's comfortable.

Good luck making the decision- let us know how it turns out.
90% of the people who buy "real" trucks, don't need "real" trucks...that is the target market for the Ridgeline. I have a Pilot, which is basically the SUV version of the Ridgeline. If your bikes fit, you will have a nice, reliable vehicle.

Rich - most your concerns seem centered around what other people will think("cool", "fugly", "clown car"). If it fits your needs who cares what others think.

FWIW - I test drove a Tundra when they first came out....very, very nice. If I was in the market for a full-size pickup, this would be at the top of my list.

Rich_W
04-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Rich - most your concerns seem centered around what other people will think("cool", "fugly", "clown car"). If it fits your needs who cares what others think.

After driving a Chevy for a long time... I just think the looks would get to me after a while, and I would end up with buyers remorse. what I really need/want is a full size... but the gas prices have me worried.

Bud
04-17-2006, 11:05 AM
Ozz, I totally agree. That's why I said "it depends on what you want a truck for." If you want a truck to haul a bike and the occasional stuff from the Home Depot, then something like the Ridgeline might fit the bill. If, on the other hand, you need something to deal with deep snow, boulder-strewn roads and to haul the bike, etc. then a more traditional pickup (ie "real" truck) is probably what you actually need.

When we lived in suburban Houston TX for three years, I was blown away by the number of massive pickups and Hummers that people there drove. We used to joke that the only offroad experiences those vehicles saw was when their drivers backed over the neighbors' lanscaping.

Ozz
04-17-2006, 11:14 AM
Bud - I was agreeing with you...just restating your point! I live in the land of the giant SUV...suburban Houston sounds a lot like Bellevue. ;)

saab2000
04-17-2006, 11:15 AM
If I were buying a truck I would get a diesel with a manual transmission. That is the only real way to get any sort of semi-acceptable fuel consumption. Also, depends on what you use it for. Obviously you have had trucks in the past and know whether or not you can use it. My dad has a GMC Yukon and for 99% of the driving it is just a tall, imprecise car. The other 1% of the time when pulling a trailer or carrying something a bit bulky it is exactly the right tool for the job.

I like diesels and I like manual transmissions. That's my opinion and it is worth what you paid for it.

Lincoln
04-17-2006, 11:32 AM
What "truck" duties are you going to use it for?

I think the Honda is great but it's not for all uses. The look is growing on me.

72gmc
04-17-2006, 11:53 AM
I drive a full size 72 GMC (naturally) but only as a yard truck. There are several Ridgelines in my neighborhood, and a few Tacomas in the king cab/short box arrangement. Small beds, but I do like their ability to comfortably carry 4 people.

Dad's driving a Dodge after going through several new domestic trucks. I'm not so enchanted with any of them.

If you need full-size, I'd look at the Tundra. If you can go less than full size(maybe with a trailer for dump loads etc.) my choices are Tacoma then Ridgeline.

Brons2
04-17-2006, 11:53 AM
I drive a full-size Nissan Titan and I love it, but the gas mileage in town pretty much sucks. Highway mileage is about 20 if I keep it around the speed limit (70). Of course, that doesn't happen too much so it's more like 17-19 at the 75-85 I typically drive.

The Titan absolutely blows the Tundra away in horsepower and torque despite similar mileage ratings, so keep that in mind if you're considering a Japanese full-size. I ripped off a sub 15 second quarter-mile in mine at the dragstrip. If Toyota didn't have such a reputation for reliability, I don't know how they would sell any Tundras at all. They feel like less truck than any of the other full-sizes out there.

I understand your gas price concern though. I really have no need for a large vehicle other than the fact that I am a big Texas bubba at 6'7" and 260 lbs. I never carry much in the back, if ever. If they made a smaller truck with 40 inches or above in published headroom and legroom, I'd be all over it.

I would also echo Saab2000's comments about the diesel/manual combo. I rented a Nissan Primastar full-size van (a corporate clone of the Renault Trafic) in Germany and at autobahn speeds of 160-170km/h (over 100mph), returned around 30mpg with 8 passengers on board. This van had a 2.8 liter, 4 cylinder diesel and 6 speed manual. It had good torque, although the engine was only good to about 4000 rpm before the power fell off. (redline was 6000, why i don't know, as there was no power to be found up there).

So I guess my ideal vehicle would be a diesel powered mid-size pickup that returned 30+ on the highway :D

kestrel
04-17-2006, 11:57 AM
I tell you... I would love a new F150 extra cab... I just love that truck. But considering the gas outlook, would I be crazy to get that?

The F-150 and the Honda RL get about the same mileage. I have a buddy that drives a Tundra. If I were in the market for another truck, the F-150 and the Tundra would be the first two I would drive.

BTW: I get 14 to 16 around town, and have gotten as much as 21 on a trip with cruise set on 60 and 65. .......Oh, I am not Honda bashing, I currently own an Odyssey, and have owned 12 Hondas in the past 20 years. Very reliable, and always a good value for the money!

Brons2
04-17-2006, 11:58 AM
I would also caution you to look into the reliability record of Honda's 5 speed automatics. Not very good....

andy mac
04-17-2006, 01:00 PM
1. The Honda has won all the big trade awards since it's launched. For a reason.

2. It's a Honda

3. It's not American and subject to the sloppier workmanship, depreciation etc.

Serotta PETE
04-17-2006, 01:08 PM
Try Mike's next time you see him. I think he has had his about 6 months now.

->Clown Car?

->Just Plain Fugly?

I need to make a decision on a new pickup this week.

I want a more fuel efficient truck... looking at the Ridgeline and the Fronteir... I like the Taco, but the seats are so low, feels like you are sitting on the floor.

I just got rid of my 03 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4. Which is soo comfortable and plush... like a tahoe, escalade... whatnot. But mine had a couple of 'issues' so I sold it before I had to put some money into it.

Other options... get another full size, Chevy, F150, etc... and just deal with the additional $1000 in annual fuel costs... hmmm.

On the highway, the Chevy got 18... The Japanese trucks get about 20... not that big of a difference.

I know not too many folks here drive trucks... but opinions are always good.

marle
04-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Consider a Toyota Tundra V6 5 speed - to get reliability plus fuel mileage?
They're assembled in the USA.

Brons2
04-17-2006, 01:51 PM
1. The Honda has won all the big trade awards since it's launched. For a reason.

2. It's a Honda

3. It's not American and subject to the sloppier workmanship, depreciation etc.

1. Which the Titan won the year before that. New product gives them something to write about eh.

2. It has a Honda...automatic. Nuff said. Look at all the Odysseys that have had problems with their trannies!!

3. It is made in North America, along with the Pilot and Odyssey (same plant).

3.5.: American brands' full-size trucks have much better depreciation than the cars.

Look, I'm sorry to be the one to have to say it, but the Ridgeline is not a real truck. It's an Accord with a bed.

SoCalSteve
04-17-2006, 03:21 PM
1. Which the Titan won the year before that. New product gives them something to write about eh.

2. It has a Honda...automatic. Nuff said. Look at all the Odysseys that have had problems with their trannies!!

3.5.: American brands' full-size trucks have much better depreciation than the cars.

Look, I'm sorry to be the one to have to say it, but the Ridgeline is not a real truck. It's an Accord with a bed.

Actually, its a whole new platform. I did the research and decided to keep my Touareg. Even with VW and their horrible customer service.

Steve

kestrel
04-17-2006, 04:05 PM

Brons, I think the one big thing you might be overlooking is the wonderful Honda reputation and customer service. Yes, I agree their transmissions are "problematics", I've had two, and my neighbor has had one go out. Honda never flinched about replacing them. The three trannies had between 45 and 75 thousand miles on them. The first for me was the 45,000 replacement. Honda was just getting into the problem, and they charged me for the replacement. I wasn't happy, but I needed the van fixed, so I coughed up the dough. Three months later, I got a check from Honda reimbursing me for the tranny work. My next one, and my neighbor's was easily done, with no hassles, the dealership even arranged and paid for a rental.
Many vehicles I've owned have had problems, but Honda is the one company that has always been fair and given me the benefit of the doubt on troubles.

I love my Ford truck, but I've had two instances of needed dealer service during the warranty period, and one just outside the warranty, Ford was not as easy to deal with as Honda.
With all my defense of Honda, I will readily agree the RL is a truck in name only, it certainly doesn't perform most trucklike functions, but then again most people that buy trucks don't really use them as trucks, but as SUV's with an open bed.

Brons2
04-17-2006, 04:12 PM
My previous vehicle, a 2000 F-150, was the most reliable one I have ever had, bar none. Never did anything but change fluids and put gas in it. Brakes never wore out and it even had good tread left on the original tires at 85,000 miles when I sold it.

kestrel
04-17-2006, 04:15 PM
My previous vehicle, a 2000 F-150, was the most reliable one I have ever had, bar none. Never did anything but change fluids and put gas in it. Brakes never wore out and it even had good tread left on the original tires at 85,000 miles when I sold it.

Did you experience the dreaded "door cracks", or the cruise control leaking?

Keith A
04-17-2006, 04:32 PM
One thing to consider is the funky bed on the Ridgeline. I still wonder what were they thinking when they created the sides of this bed. The angle on this would make it difficult to lay anything across it and not have it slide off. For this reason alone, I would have to say that it is not a real truck.

http://automobiles.honda.com/images/banners/2006/ridgeline/exterior_gallery/large_16.jpg

Louis
04-17-2006, 04:47 PM
If you don't need the true "truck" capabilities except say once a month or so, buy something with high gas mileage and use the money you save to rent a truck from Home Depot / Lowes when you need it. Depending on how much you drive, you may come out way ahead, especially five years from now when gas is $5 a gallon.

Louis

Climb01742
04-17-2006, 04:55 PM
many predict gas @ $3 this summer. and depending on what happens with iran, $3 could look cheap. if you plan on keeping what you get for a while, mpg could be a pretty good deciding factor. not an easy choice but good luck.

bironi
04-17-2006, 05:58 PM
If I were buying a truck I would get a diesel with a manual transmission. That is the only real way to get any sort of semi-acceptable fuel consumption. Also, depends on what you use it for. Obviously you have had trucks in the past and know whether or not you can use it. My dad has a GMC Yukon and for 99% of the driving it is just a tall, imprecise car. The other 1% of the time when pulling a trailer or carrying something a bit bulky it is exactly the right tool for the job.

I like diesels and I like manual transmissions. That's my opinion and it is worth what you paid for it.

Take pity on the cyclists. Please don't buy anything with fumes that shut down another cyclists lungs like diesel does.

Brons2
04-17-2006, 06:10 PM
Did you experience the dreaded "door cracks", or the cruise control leaking?

Nope, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :D

In all seriousness, my truck was a pretty basic one, SuperCab XL V6 5 speed manual. No cruise, power windows, power door locks, CD player, tilt, bucket seats, sliding back window, etc!! Only options my truck had were AC and an AM/FM casette radio. Not really much to go wrong! lol.

I put aftermarket cruise on there and didn't have any problems with that. No door cracking but it's pretty hot and dry here. I have heard of it.

I looked at the 04 F150's, SuperCrew 5.4 XLT's. Very nice, but the Nissan had a ton more power with relatively the same HP rating and mileage, so I got that instead.

Brons2
04-17-2006, 06:11 PM
Take pity on the cyclists. Please don't buy anything with fumes that shut down another cyclists lungs like diesel does.

The (newer) car diesels in Europe are not smelly. They're not sold here, of course.

Brons2
04-17-2006, 06:14 PM
many predict gas @ $3 this summer. and depending on what happens with iran, $3 could look cheap. if you plan on keeping what you get for a while, mpg could be a pretty good deciding factor. not an easy choice but good luck.

I test drove a 06 Civic the other day. It's actually not bad! Has 42 inches of legroom. Smallish steering wheel helps too. Mileage is 30 city 40 highway!

I had a late-80s Accord when I was in college and the new Civic is roomier than that car was.

JohnS
04-17-2006, 06:17 PM
Brons, I think the one big thing you might be overlooking is the wonderful Honda reputation and customer service. Yes, I agree their transmissions are "problematics", I've had two, and my neighbor has had one go out. Honda never flinched about replacing them. The three trannies had between 45 and 75 thousand miles on them. The first for me was the 45,000 replacement. Honda was just getting into the problem, and they charged me for the replacement. I wasn't happy, but I needed the van fixed, so I coughed up the dough. Three months later, I got a check from Honda reimbursing me for the tranny work. My next one, and my neighbor's was easily done, with no hassles, the dealership even arranged and paid for a rental.
Many vehicles I've owned have had problems, but Honda is the one company that has always been fair and given me the benefit of the doubt on troubles.
I love how some people can justify junk when it's made by a "dependable" foreign maker like Honda but would crucify these same faults if it was made by the Big Three.

mavic1010
04-17-2006, 06:20 PM
don't tell me you are gonna get a ridgeline cuz Mike G. has one??!

Brons2
04-17-2006, 06:22 PM
I love how some people can justify junk when it's made by a "dependable" foreign maker like Honda but would crucify these same faults if it was made by the Big Three.

Heh...I sure wouldn't.

A car with a tranny that has to be fixed every 30-40K is a throwaway car once the warranty expires. Which for those Odysseys was at 100K I think.

I've owned many Honda/Acura products, but never one with an automatic. It would have to be a lease. They just don't hold up. OTOH, I like their manuals and I've only had one clutch replacement ever.

andy mac
04-17-2006, 06:31 PM
Honda Ridgeline:

first place car and driver magazine truck comparison:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/9470/do-it-all-compact-pickups-page7.html

motor trend magazine truck of the year:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2005/112_news051220_truck_of_the_year/

consumer reports recommend:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/pickups/reports/recommended-vehicles.htm

but what do i know, i've just been helping run a major car company for the last 3 years - and it wasn't honda...

:beer:

Brons2
04-17-2006, 06:38 PM
hey andy, at the time I bought my Titan it was winning a bunch of awards.

so my response is, SO WHAT?

The Titan and the Ridgeline really have different uses anyways. The Titan can tow 9500lbs with the Big Tow option. Like to see you try that with a Ridgeline :D

[edit] ok that Car and Driver link is UBER-LAME...it compares the Ridgeline to COMPACT trucks.

:rolleyes:

[edit2]yeah and so is the Motor Trend link....

Only truly new or substantially revised trucks were considered with the condition that they be available for public sale by January 1, 2006.

The 2006 Motor Trend Truck of the Year competition included the following models: Dodge Ram 1500, Dodge Ram Mega Cab, Honda Ridgeline, Isuzu i350, Lincoln Mark LT, and Mitsubishi Raider.

WEAK!

The Ridgeline couldn't carry my Titan's jock.

Climb01742
04-17-2006, 07:16 PM
a barrel of crude hit $70/gallon today, all time high. i know next to nothing about trucks but i do know that if gas ever hit $4/gallon, we'd all be riding our bikes a lot more. it could be a long hot expensive summer. yikes.

JohnS
04-17-2006, 07:43 PM
What's really sad is that GM was crowing a few weeks ago how well the new Yukon was selling and the SUV wasn't dead yet. The Big 3 just don't get it. They refuse to market practical alternatives to the big SUV. If Ford sold the same Focus here that they do in the UK, they'd sell even more. But no, they convince everyone that they need a 4WD for winter and outdoors when 20 years ago people were doing just fine with RWD cars.

Brons2
04-17-2006, 07:46 PM
The Big 3 just don't get it. They refuse to market practical alternatives to the big SUV.

There's tons of tall-car looking things in Europe that could function just as effectively as SUV's for most folks.

IXXI
04-17-2006, 07:54 PM
a barrel of crude hit $70/gallon today, all time high. yikes.

Looks like Daddy's taking off the training wheels a little early girls.... (Seriously!)

kestrel
04-17-2006, 08:14 PM

You have trouble with comprehension, don't worry, Sylvan or Huntington is open to all ages. :rolleyes:

JohnS
04-17-2006, 08:24 PM
You have trouble with comprehension, don't worry, Sylvan or Huntington is open to all ages. :rolleyes:Not really. You talked about how great their customer service was, not how shoddy their engineering was. So what, their service has to be igood if they make a substandard tranny.

kestrel
04-17-2006, 08:27 PM
Not really. ..........

Yes, I'm sure it's open to all ages!

mgm777
04-17-2006, 08:34 PM

->Clown Car?

->Just Plain Fugly?

1. Sensible? Yes, possibly...depending on what you're going to do with it.
2. Cool? No...if you have to ask, you already know the answer.
3. Versitile? Yes.
4. Clown Car? No, but..."unique" in an Aztrek sort of way.
5. Fugly? IMHO - Yes...but, as they say...beauty lies in the eye....

I haven't had the opportunity to drive a Ridgeline, but I imagine that it is a well thought out, reliable, ergonimically well engineered vehicle. I had a '96 Accord for 10 years that I just recently sold. It was problem free. In a word, a great car. Our family got larger, so I replaced it with a Volvo wagon. On the other end of the reliability spectrum, I just put a bunch of money into my daily vehicle, a 10 year old Land Rover Discovery. It is really more of a hobby than a vehicle, but there is just something about it. A few thousand dollars spent on sprucing up the old jalopy is much cheaper than a new car/truck or even a decent previously enjoyed vehicle. And...as a side benefit...it leaves more liquid funds available in the budget to buy bike parts...my true passion.
That's my .02 cents.

beungood
04-17-2006, 08:37 PM
I have a '01 Chevy Silverado Diesel and it get's great mileage for it's size and is a clean burning powerplant. Alot of the diesels are getting advanced and are a good buy.

Buddha
04-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Truck or not, I think it has some cool features I wish my Tundra Double cab had.
1. The tail gate. It opens the traditional way and swings out.
2. The in bed lockable trunk.

Does your bike fit properly in the bed?

You may want to look at the Tundras. I have an 05 double cab and couldn't be happier and I belive they are still having some great deals going on.

I had some fun with the inside of mine.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/bikewrench/bikestoragerack004Small.jpg

and most inportant, my dogs love it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/bikewrench/DJinTundra001Small.jpg

Any way you go, a new truck is always fun.

JohnS
04-17-2006, 08:42 PM
Yes, I'm sure it's open to all ages!Are you a student? You seem to know a lot about them...

Kahuna
04-17-2006, 09:22 PM
I sold my `87 Honda Accord LXi (5sp manual) in 2002 with over 420K mikes put there by the original owner (me). The only thing I ever had to the car was routine maintenance.

The car still had the original clutch with plenty of service life left when I sold it, and the car was still getting over 30mpg if you can beleive it. Not too shabby.

I'll never forget the sales manager who sold me the car. The dapper Saverio Santucci from Bronx Honda. The guy looked like a character out of Goodfellas with perfecly manicured coif, impeccable suits and gold jewelry, but man did he give me a great deal. (beat sealed bids from 20 other Honda dealers in 4 different states).

Driving that car off the lot was a happy day for me.

Lately I've been very happy with my Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 (4.7l V8 auto). Mileage is typical for a midsize truck. Less pricey than the Silverado. Can fit my bike in the rear cab with the front wheel removed and the rear seats folded up. The shorter bed is still large enough to haul all sorts of things. Here on Maui 4x4 comes in handy on sandy beach roads or muddy private roads. Back east it's good for ice and snow conditions of course.

kestrel
04-18-2006, 06:14 AM
What's really sad is that GM was crowing a few weeks ago how well the new Yukon was selling and the SUV wasn't dead yet. The Big 3 just don't get it. They refuse to market practical alternatives to the big SUV. If Ford sold the same Focus here that they do in the UK, they'd sell even more. But no, they convince everyone that they need a 4WD for winter and outdoors when 20 years ago people were doing just fine with RWD cars.

Crucify, not crucify.... hard to make those big decisions JohnS?

JohnS
04-18-2006, 07:22 AM
Crucify, not crucify.... hard to make those big decisions JohnS?What? The Big 3 are screwing up but the Japanese make mistakes, also. It sounds like you're the one with comprehension issues...

OldDog
04-18-2006, 07:31 AM
Rich - I have not read this thread all the way through but have you looked at the Chevy 1500 with the Hybred option? Electric kicks in at speeds under 20 mph. A $1500 option to the basic gas engine package. It's interesting.

Serotta PETE
04-18-2006, 08:53 AM
I have pur about 75K miles on a PILOT and it has been great. The bike 57cm fits in the back standing up with front wheel off (in fact SPOKES and I both get our bikes in, without folding down the rear seat.

MPG has been between 18 around town and 23 on highway. (burns regular). On the last trip to Saratoga, I got 22 while cruising at 75. A buddy gets 24 by keeping it at 60-65).

MY daughter just bought a HONDA ACCORD and is getting around 30 mpg and it is five star safety rated as the PILOT/RIDGELINE does

IN NC they are discounting about 10% on everything but CIVIC.

Brons2
04-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Alot of the diesels are getting advanced and are a good buy.

The truck diesels (Cummins/Duramax/Powerstroke) are most assuredly NOT a good buy! They cost $5000 extra!!! You'll never recover that if you don't pull a trailer for a living. That's where the diesels really shine on the mileage. A gasser will get 4-6 mpg towing a 12,000 pound trailer. A diesel will get 10-12. (ex wife's family had a ranch...)

Not to mention, you have to buy at least a 3/4 ton to get them, they are not available on half tons.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the diesels. I'd like to see a V6 or 4cyl diesel available on the half ton and mid-size/compact truck. One geared more for mileage than stump pulling power. Diesels naturally have good low end torque so they're well suited for trucks. And these engines should not cost more than $2000 more, otherwise the difference in milage will be lost because your payments will more than make up for it over time.

My $0.02.

YMMV :D

Birddog
04-18-2006, 09:35 AM
The bike 57cm fits in the back standing up with front wheel off (in fact SPOKES and I both get our bikes in, without folding down the rear seat.
Pete, how are you doing this. One of my pet peeves about the Pilot is that fact that it will barely hold my 54 cm bike upright. I have to tip it sideways, screw up my mouth a bit, bite my lip, and swear, to get the damn thing in there. I hate the fact that the seats don't fold flat and that the clearance at the tailgate is so tight. If I had it to do over I'd probably still buy it, but it is not all that bike friendly IMO.

Birddog

Brons2
04-18-2006, 09:39 AM
I sold my `87 Honda Accord LXi (5sp manual) in 2002 with over 420K mikes put there by the original owner (me). The only thing I ever had to the car was routine maintenance.

The car still had the original clutch with plenty of service life left when I sold it, and the car was still getting over 30mpg if you can beleive it. Not too shabby.

I had an 86LX that had 258,000 when I sold it. It still got decent mileage and was on the original clutch, but it didn't idle so good anymore. The 86-89 Accords were only fuel injected in the LXi version. The DX and LX versions had 2 barrel carbs. After ~200K miles, you really started to see the downside of this as those carbs would gum up and they are very difficult to rebuild.

My mom had an 88 LX, same story, after 215K it started idleing really rough and when a rebuild didn't solve it for too long, she traded it off for a 99 CR-V.

The newer Hondas are not as good as the 80s ones. Their automatics are basically throwaway parts. My mom's CR-V lost a chunk out of her valve with 68,000 miles on it and needed a top-end rebuild (valve job) that cost $1000.

My sister has an 01 CR-V that had dying and knocking problems and we were about to lemon law the damn thing, before Honda sent some people from the field office and basically tore the engine apart and replaced about every electrical and computer oriented part they could find. Problem FINALLY solved after at least 10 trips to various dealers. This was all with less than 20,000 miles on the vehicle, by the way.

My dad drives a 97 Accord that had a recall for a new oil pump. Also, when it was fairly new, the power steering pump would whine and send harmonic vibrations throughout the car. I told Dad to complain to the dealer about it and he never did, yet when he took it in for a 90K service, they recommended replacing that same PS pump, and he paid for it without thinking.

Meanwhile, I was driving a 2000 FORD F-150 and snickering about all their Honda problems :D

I turned against Honda after my 92 Legend. I bought it 3 years old with high expectations. It was a beautiful car and it accelerated strongly, I noted that the magazine articles had it under 7 seconds to 60. It had a stickshift and after a while that thing was horrible and notchy. Fluid changes didn't fix it. I lived with the poor shifting. The engine would knock on startup, and they finally issued a TSB to fix the problem, which included replacing pistons...this of course AFTER warranty had expired, so no luck there for me! I ignored the noise. At 70K I dropped a couple of injectors (stuck open) and the car began to dump massive quantities of gas out the tailpipe. At that point I found a reputable independent Honda repair shop that did good work, and they fixed that problem, for $500. At 85K my radiator separated. It had an aluminum core with plastic end caps and they came apart to the point that the car was spewing green goo. Acura dealer replacement price for the part: $700. I found a Modine all-metal replacement at a local radiator shop for $107. Installed the damn thing myself. I sold the car a few months later, for a fraction of what I paid for it, despite being in perfect condition with NO SCRACHES or DENTS. The leather was also PERFECT and buttery!!! NEVER AGAIN, Mr. HONDA!!!

Brons2
04-18-2006, 09:44 AM
I have pur about 75K miles on a PILOT and it has been great. The bike 57cm fits in the back standing up with front wheel off (in fact SPOKES and I both get our bikes in, without folding down the rear seat.

MPG has been between 18 around town and 23 on highway. (burns regular). On the last trip to Saratoga, I got 22 while cruising at 75. A buddy gets 24 by keeping it at 60-65).

MY daughter just bought a HONDA ACCORD and is getting around 30 mpg and it is five star safety rated as the PILOT/RIDGELINE does

IN NC they are discounting about 10% on everything but CIVIC.

My back seat in my Titan Crew Cab swallows my 68cm Rivendell without even as much as taking off the front wheel :D

Granted, your mileage is a little better than mine, but oh well.

kestrel
04-18-2006, 10:17 AM
.......... my 68cm Rivendell .............. :D

Damn Brons2, you sure you ain't in the wrong sport? :D

Brons2
04-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Damn Brons2, you sure you ain't in the wrong sport? :D

I played offensive tackle in college for a large state university located here in town. I'm more of the big and tall type, than the basketball type.

kestrel
04-18-2006, 11:49 AM
I played offensive tackle in college for a large state university located here in town. I'm more of the big and tall type, than the basketball type.

Bet you have trouble finding tights that fit. Athough, once you find them you probably don't have to put up with the snickering laughter that us wimpy types on 56 cm bikes face at the old country store. :bike:

Brons2
04-18-2006, 12:11 PM
size XL in Pearl Izumi 3D Microsensor does me just fine, and an XXL jersey :D

Not too many snickers, but then people around here are generally purty bicycle friendly out in the country, and plain friendly in general.