PDA

View Full Version : Audi A3?

rounder
04-12-2015, 08:51 PM
OT: Need to get a new car. Does anyone have an opinion on the Audi A3.

Russian bear
04-12-2015, 09:05 PM
Tarted up Golf ;) I'd check out the GTI instead.

FlashUNC
04-12-2015, 09:13 PM
I'm a big fan of the S3. And I say this as a GTI owner.

fourflys
04-12-2015, 09:37 PM
brand new A3 (sedan)? or the 5 door version?

as said, same engine, etc as the GTI but I'm sure has some Audi goodies... the 5 door sure looks good though! I can think of a few other cars I'd rather have if the sedan is what you're looking at...

don compton
04-12-2015, 10:26 PM
I am a long term Audi owner. I have had an '04 A4 awd, an '05 S4, an 05 A4 Avant, an '08 S4 Avant, and currently, a '12 A7. There all great cars, but require a few expenses, that won't happen with the Japanese cars. But, they're incredible, high speed , touring cars.

KJMUNC
04-12-2015, 10:34 PM
I actually own an A3....2012 five door and it's a great car. Looked at at lot of other stuff, but found a used one with a big chunk of the warranty left and it made the most sense. I actually bought it sight unseen and had it shipped from MO to TX.

The 4cyl turbo is an excellent engine and has plenty of power for such a small car. I have the 6 speed manual and it's adds some fun.

I get 30-34mpg on the highway, mid-20's around town.

Biggest drawbacks are that the interior is pretty stripped down. It has leather, but no power seats, no bluetooth (although the audio speakers are good quality). The car is noisier than I'd prefer, but it's not an S-class or a Lexus, so you get what you pay for.

We love for our family of four to pop around town for errands or when we all need to go somewhere but don't need to haul the dogs or stuff (we have a Suburban for that). I routinely put the seats down and get my bike in the back with the wheels removed. Plenty of room for sizeable stuff, especially for such a little car.

They may be a tarted up GTI, but for the non-boy racer crowd they're a great car with lots of utility.

Ken Robb
04-12-2015, 10:38 PM
I THINK I would buy a new GTI rather than a used Audi. I could be wrong.

djg21
04-12-2015, 10:40 PM
I too am a long term Audi owner. Over the years, I've owned an A4, A6 Allroad, Q7, TT and now an A4 avant. They are really nice cars, but once the warranty expires, things get really expensive. I bought most of mine as low mileage CPOs with original warranty miles left on the odometer. Your experience also can depend on the quality of the dealer, where you will have to bring the car for service. Let's say I'm not inclined to buy another. But Audi USA was pretty awesome to deal with when I did have issues with the dealer.

oldpotatoe
04-13-2015, 06:08 AM
OT: Need to get a new car. Does anyone have an opinion on the Audi A3.

Looked at the TDI A3 vs VW Jetta TDI SW..get all wheel drive, add $10,000..otherwise very similar.

Climb01742
04-13-2015, 06:36 AM
The time to own an Audi is while it's in warranty.

paredown
04-13-2015, 07:19 AM
Biggest drawbacks are that the interior is pretty stripped down. It has leather, but no power seats, no bluetooth (although the audio speakers are good quality). T...

A good friend drove the A3 and loved it, but ended up buying a new Subaru Impreza, in part because the Impreza came with a lotta stuff that you either couldn't get (backup camera) or was an expensive option on the Audi.

batman1425
04-13-2015, 08:22 AM
I had a 2007 A3. Bought it new.

The good: was a great car to drive. Plenty of power, a slick 6MT, handled great, was comfortable for long trips, and some decent options for not a ton of money. Didn't have phone integration - but that wasn't as common then as it is now and I was able to get an aftermarket adapter to solve that problem. Reasonable space inside for a compact hatchback. Fit and finish was better than average but not as good as its bigger 4-ring brothers.

The bad: Seemed like it was always in the shop for something. Over 4 years of ownership - I had 2 stereo head units die (unrelated to my phone adapter) and the computer that controls the HVAC which quit in the middle of winter leaving me with out defrosters - just getting it to the dealer was exciting. All of these things were covered under warranty, but it was still a hassle. Wear items for them are expensive, and unless the new 2.0T platforms have changed, start stocking up on oil. Mine burned a quart every 3K miles which my dealer said was "normal". It also bummed me out that you couldn't get AWD in the 2.0T - had to step up to the anemic 3.2. Though the traction control system in the 2WD was one of the better ones I've used and with good snow tires, I didn't miss AWD that much.

The real bad: just before the warranty ran out it dropped a cylinder, made a horrible noise, and flat lined all in my driveway. Had it towed to the dealer and they got it running again but couldn't figure out what the problem was. It was likely an engine management/computer/fuel injection issue but they couldn't do anything with out replicating the problem. With the issue sure to reappear soon and the warranty running out in 2k miles, I dumped it before I got stuck with a big repair.

My story seems to be what most people say about VW/Audi in general. Sometimes you get a great one that runs forever with little more than oil, brakes and tires. Other times you end up with a problem child which mine ended up being. My issues aside, I really enjoyed the car and if I had the money to turn them every 3-4 years I'd be happy to buy another Audi.

kgreene10
04-13-2015, 08:53 AM
No experience with these at all, but just to say that Madrid is absolutely full of them. And they look nice.

SlackMan
04-13-2015, 10:27 AM
The time to own an Audi is while it's in warranty.

^^^^This!

Bstone
04-13-2015, 10:46 AM
Get a lot more for your money w the VW. Audi prices have jacked up in the last ten years. I replaced my A4 w a new GTI. Excellent quality but way cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rounder
04-13-2015, 11:47 AM
Thanks all.

My wife drives my old 2001 A4 that is going to be traded in on something. At 141,000 miles, the car has never had problems and does not burn oil.

I have a 2011 A4 with 140,000 miles. The car still feels fine. It went through major oil consumption though at between 60,000 - 90,000 miles. It turned out to be an Audi ring problem that the dealer fixed at no charge even though it was out of warranty.

So far, I am happy with the cars and the dealer.

weaponsgrade
04-13-2015, 12:03 PM
My brother has a 2006 A3. He's thankful he got whatever was the best extended warranty since it's been in the shop a few times. In that time, his wife's 3-series never had a problem.

tumbler
04-13-2015, 04:14 PM
For what it's worth, Consumer Reports has ranked Audi in the top 5 for reliability in the last 2 annual surveys. I'm sure some will disagree with their methodology, but I think CR has generally been pretty good at reliability ratings in the past. I'm hoping Audi truly has improved and addressed some of the persistent issues from the past, but who knows since VW is still pretty far down on the list.

4Rings6Stars
04-13-2015, 04:15 PM
Thanks all.

My wife drives my old 2001 A4 that is going to be traded in on something. At 141,000 miles, the car has never had problems and does not burn oil.

I have a 2011 A4 with 140,000 miles. The car still feels fine. It went through major oil consumption though at between 60,000 - 90,000 miles. It turned out to be an Audi ring problem that the dealer fixed at no charge even though it was out of warranty.

So far, I am happy with the cars and the dealer.

Just wanted to comment that if my wife drove a 10 year older version of the same car I drove she would not be happy!

I have (and have had) several Audis and they have all been a bit finicky, but I still think the juice is worth the squeeze.

Straz
04-13-2015, 04:31 PM
We have a 2014 Jetta Sportswagen TDI and love it. I am considering a 2010-2012 A3 TDI as a commuter car and weekend bike/ski hauler to replace an aging Mazda6. Any thoughts from owners about the quality of these TDIs? Find any limitations hauling bikes/skis around?

2wheelwill
04-13-2015, 05:39 PM
I also looked at the A3 but in the end opted for the GTI. Such a great car for relatively little money. And with back seats folded down I can easily fit my 55cm road bike.

Louis
04-13-2015, 05:57 PM
A good friend drove the A3 and loved it, but ended up buying a new Subaru Impreza, in part because the Impreza came with a lotta stuff that you either couldn't get (backup camera) or was an expensive option on the Audi.

+1

I've been happy with my '14 Impreza. If you want more power get the WRX. If you want even more get that WRX STI.

265 HP (305 HP if you get the STI)

Not mine:

http://mobi2car.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/subaru-sti-blue-hatchbackmotoriginal-----subaru-impreza-wrx-sti---bruiser-j58j2pvy.jpg

merlincustom1
04-13-2015, 06:10 PM
We have a 2014 Jetta Sportswagen TDI and love it. I am considering a 2010-2012 A3 TDI as a commuter car and weekend bike/ski hauler to replace an aging Mazda6. Any thoughts from owners about the quality of these TDIs? Find any limitations hauling bikes/skis around?

I have a '12 A3 with 45k miles. No issues apart from scheduled maintenance except brakes at 35k for $690 at the dealer. I miss Quattro as I had a 4 Avant 2001 with 200k miles. Kept that car a year too long and dropped some coin on repairs in the last year. The 3 is a nice car, getting 47 highway and 30 just driving around.

rounder
04-13-2015, 09:07 PM
Thanks for all the good information.

I have really liked the A4s but want to drive something different.

Does it make any sense to go for an A3 because it is small like they used to be, or go for a BMW 3 or 1 series or stick with what I already know. I know that everyone is different and you have to make up your own mind, but I want a fun car to drive...also, value your opinion.

FlashUNC
04-13-2015, 09:31 PM
Thanks for all the good information.

I have really liked the A4s but want to drive something different.

Does it make any sense to go for an A3 because it is small like they used to be, or go for a BMW 3 or 1 series or stick with what I already know. I know that everyone is different and you have to make up your own mind, but I want a fun car to drive...also, value your opinion.

The new A3 is essentially the same size as the old A4s.

p nut
04-13-2015, 09:39 PM
or go for a BMW 3 or 1 series

...but I want a fun car to drive...

I had an older 3-series and a friend had an M. I've driven plenty of Audi's, but to me, BMW has the fun-to-drive nailed down. No disrespect to Audi/VW, as they are very fun to drive as well.

135i or the new 235i would be a blast.

stefus_prime
04-13-2015, 09:58 PM
Their reliability isn't the best, but the ride quality is really nice. All I can say is if you have to do it then go for a spec'd down diesel variant. The higher the amount of gizmos the more of a headache it will be when stuff breaks. I'd personally go for one of the newer Mazda 3 hatchbacks.

rugbysecondrow
04-14-2015, 08:41 AM
+1

I've been happy with my '14 Impreza. If you want more power get the WRX. If you want even more get that WRX STI.

265 HP (305 HP if you get the STI)

Not mine:

http://mobi2car.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/subaru-sti-blue-hatchbackmotoriginal-----subaru-impreza-wrx-sti---bruiser-j58j2pvy.jpg

I looked at the A3 but opted for the Subaru WRX. AWD, room for gear and car seats, comfortable and fun as hell to drive. I also have some friends with Audis and many would not have purchased an Audi again, but I haven't met an unhappy Subaru owner.

ericssonboi
04-14-2015, 09:43 AM
I looked at the A3 but opted for the Subaru WRX. AWD, room for gear and car seats, comfortable and fun as hell to drive. I also have some friends with Audis and many would not have purchased an Audi again, but I haven't met an unhappy Subaru owner.

Until you meet the ones who've had to do head gasket work.

I own a subaru and their great to drive... no issues for about 160km (100 miles); just expect a hefty repair bill when the head gaskets go ..

AngryScientist
04-14-2015, 09:58 AM
just drove my in-laws a3 hatch last night. 2.0T, AWD, auto.

not really a fan. rear seat room is very tight (remember i'm 5'4", so the front seats were not slammed back). the auto seems to not pair well with the engine, very peaky power output when you're getting on the gas, would be much better with a manual i suspect.

car also burns oil, as almost all 2.0T's i've had experience with do.

for the $$, i wouldnt buy one...

4Rings6Stars
04-14-2015, 10:02 AM

Hi, my name is Alex. Nice to make your acquaintance.

There, now you can't say you haven't met an unhappy Subary owner :)

btw...anybody want to buy a 2006 Legacy GT? Black, 5 speed, loaded....

Likes2ridefar
04-14-2015, 10:54 AM
i went through all the hatchbacks yesterday on test drives and ended up with a kia forte5. it helped with the $4k no matter what trade-in value on my beater '94 camry worth ~750, but i also liked it the most out of the ones i drove. it reminded me of the audi both inside and out. it drove a lot like them too.

the mazda 3 looked pretty nice but i did not like how it drove compared to the kia and vw golf. i also was not a fan of the radio that stuck up in the middle of the dash. it was also way more expensive once options started adding on.

kia has a supped up turbo version of the one i bought that still runs on regular fuel, but the wife would not have been pleased :no:

brando
04-14-2015, 11:46 AM
A friend of mine was looking for an A3 but says they're hard to come by. Stopped production with a new model due out in August? He went with a BMW 235i instead.

velomonkey
04-14-2015, 01:45 PM
A buddy of mine has a 01 A4 wagon with under 100k miles. It burns oil wicked quick, has a small gas tank and not great MPG - like a BMW though it's tight and still holds up.

I have a 02 530 sedan with 120k - maintenance has been decent, still drives nice and goes through oil around 5k - which I either throw in a few quarts or change it early. The sedan makes transporting bikes lousy - so it's roof rack.

I lament the loss of wagons and hatchbacks - the lexus one gets close, but just leaves me non-plussed. Volvo still does a good wagon, but the interior is out of date tech wise.

If you can find a well cared for Saab 95 wagon that was probably the pinnacle of wagons. Great MPG, great turbo and roomy as all heck.

If it's Scandinavian or German you better find a wrench you can trust.

veloduffer
04-14-2015, 05:18 PM
If it's Scandinavian or German you better find a wrench you can trust.

+1. True dat. Having owned both German and Swedish (Saab) several times, I don't think the word 'reliability' exists in those languages.

Louis
04-14-2015, 05:50 PM
+1. True dat. Having owned both German and Swedish (Saab) several times, I don't think the word 'reliability' exists in those languages.

For the Japanese it's the equivalent of "snow" - I think they have 180 different words for it.

Corso
04-14-2015, 06:19 PM
I bought a new A4 1.8 turbo, fantastic when new, a money pit (blown top end among many, many other things) after warrantee went out.

A relative bought an A3, even after knowing of the troubles I had. Great at first, but after a few years, she says she’s driven the dealerships loaner TT as much as her car.

Google Audi and class action lawsuits.

Met a guy who used to sell them. His advice was “lease, and turn that sucker in, before you become the sucker”

As much as I stare at them when any Audi drives by, I don’t think I’d ever buy another.

Good luck whatever way you choose!

azrider
04-14-2015, 07:09 PM
I lament the loss of wagons and hatchbacks - the lexus one gets close, but just leaves me non-plussed.

woah woah....easy on bashing the Lexus Wagons. :p

Wait, on second thought, are you're talking about the CT200 ?

Bstone
04-20-2015, 06:29 PM
Had an A4 and now a GTI. Zero problems for either.

rounder
04-20-2015, 08:38 PM
I bought a new A4 1.8 turbo, fantastic when new, a money pit (blown top end among many, many other things) after warrantee went out.

A relative bought an A3, even after knowing of the troubles I had. Great at first, but after a few years, she says she’s driven the dealerships loaner TT as much as her car.

Google Audi and class action lawsuits.

Met a guy who used to sell them. His advice was “lease, and turn that sucker in, before you become the sucker”

As much as I stare at them when any Audi drives by, I don’t think I’d ever buy another.

Good luck whatever way you choose!

Thanks. I bought a used A4 with 7,000 miles over the weekend. I was really interested in an A3 but bought the car from a local place that specializes in German. Drove other cars but liked this one more. Am happy.

chriscap
04-20-2015, 09:58 PM
Last summer a large tree fell on my '11 GTI during a storm and totaled it. I loved that car. :mad:

I was going to replace it with another GTI but i thought diesel would be more economical for my commute. Since the GTD seems like it won't be crossing the Atlantic anytime soon, I opted for a used A3 TDI. I test drove a Golf TDI, but liked the ride of the A3 better. I've put about 20K miles on so far and haven't had any problems. I typically average 40-45 mpg highway during my commute and the turbo gives it a nice little kick when needed.

Only issues I've had are the high price of maintenance and diesel not being as ubiquitous as standard gas where I live.

tumbler
04-21-2015, 07:46 AM
I did some test driving over the weekend and will say that the new A3 is impressive. It's much nicer than the previous generation which felt closer to a VW than a full luxury brand. If I were looking for a sedan in that class, the A3 would probably be my choice over the offerings from MB and BMW. It's a very nice car. Check out Youtube, which has some thorough reviews on it.

Corso
04-21-2015, 03:52 PM
Thanks. I bought a used A4 with 7,000 miles over the weekend. I was really interested in an A3 but bought the car from a local place that specializes in German. Drove other cars but liked this one more. Am happy.

Google A4 class action suites and Audi service bulletins. Find a good audi forum version of this place here. Most problems are well documented and will be good for you to have a heads up!

7,000 miles is almost new! So you shouldn’t have issues for a while...

Good for you! Hopefully you got a “good" one.

DHallerman
04-21-2015, 07:06 PM
We have a 2014 Jetta Sportswagen TDI and love it.

And we have a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI and love it, too. Replaced a Toyota RAV4 with a 6-cylinder engine, and has as much acceleration and much better handling.

Plus, the lower roof makes it easy to get bikes on the roof rack.

I also looked at the A3 but in the end opted for the GTI. Such a great car for relatively little money. And with back seats folded down I can easily fit my 55cm road bike.

And we have a 2011 VW GTI, too, and yes, with back seats down, so easy to get my 56cm road bike in, even with the front wheel still on.

Plus the excellent handling, along with the 6-manual, makes it feel very safe.

djg21
04-21-2015, 07:43 PM
Google A4 class action suites and Audi service bulletins. Find a good audi forum version of this place here. Most problems are well documented and will be good for you to have a heads up!

7,000 miles is almost new! So you shouldn’t have issues for a while...

Good for you! Hopefully you got a “good" one.

I used to look at the Audiworld and VWVortex forums when looking for info re tuning my Audis. I had really good luck with APR chips I'm my Allroad and TT. My wife's current A4 Avant isn't chipped and performs great. At 7k miles there won't be much to do that isn't covered under warranty and included in the service plan. Have fun and enjoy the car.