PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Question.

gmonster
04-12-2015, 07:37 PM
Haven't been in the market for a new bike for 5 or 6 years, so I guess things do change. Back then I used the standard that if the bike had Shimano 105s then it was likely a decent bike. Now I am told that the 105s of today are the same quality of the Dura-Ace of back then and the Tiagra line is as good as 105 once was. How true is this?

Cicli
04-12-2015, 07:52 PM
That is still true today. Their trickle down worth technology is really good. 105 is still a very good set.

04-12-2015, 08:40 PM
Thinking about it slightly differently, Dura Ace used to be the only viable group, Ultegra was a lot less, 105 was a lot less than that, and by that time you were riding cheap crude components. Now, not only has Dura Ace gotten much better, but the gaps have narrowed. Ultegra gives Dura Ace a good run for the money (at a lot less money), giving away only some weight and a little cosmetics. 105 is right behind Ultegra -- heavier, not as pretty, but still rides just fine, is durable, etc.

I wouldn't have felt I could say this prior to 6800, but it's really good. Some would say better.

oldpotatoe
04-13-2015, 06:16 AM
Haven't been in the market for a new bike for 5 or 6 years, so I guess things do change. Back then I used the standard that if the bike had Shimano 105s then it was likely a decent bike. Now I am told that the 105s of today are the same quality of the Dura-Ace of back then and the Tiagra line is as good as 105 once was. How true is this?

Materials differ as you go down the line. 'Quality of design and build' for Tiagra(newest 10s stuff) on up is very good. It all works, higher end stuff is lighter and because of lighter materials, may not 'last' as long as the heavier stuff below it, if ya really thrash it. 105 stuff and above is 11s..need a 11s compatible wheel. Older shimano 10s wheels are not 11s compatible. Some others, like Mavic, are. Some others like Fulcrum can be converted. shimano wheels/hubs cannot be converted to a 11s freehub.

gmonster
04-13-2015, 07:26 AM
Thanks guys... I forgot about the materials/weight factor... all good points made.

peanutgallery
04-13-2015, 08:38 AM
Plus 1

I have 5800 and its pretty good. I would say that it works considerably better than 6700 - braking/shifting is way better. Now when I pick up a ten speed bike it feels like one of those hand exersizer things from way back when

Slightly heavier, but for the price I bought an awesome set of wheels and that kind of balanced it out

Thinking about it slightly differently, Dura Ace used to be the only viable group, Ultegra was a lot less, 105 was a lot less than that, and by that time you were riding cheap crude components. Now, not only has Dura Ace gotten much better, but the gaps have narrowed. Ultegra gives Dura Ace a good run for the money (at a lot less money), giving away only some weight and a little cosmetics. 105 is right behind Ultegra -- heavier, not as pretty, but still rides just fine, is durable, etc.

I wouldn't have felt I could say this prior to 6800, but it's really good. Some would say better.