PDA

View Full Version : Fork steerer trimming and resale-ability

Lewis Moon
04-11-2015, 10:08 PM
At 6'5" I ride a relatively big frame (58 - 60 square) but I also like a relatively large drop saddle to bars (12 13 cm). Not pro -low but lower than I see a lot of bikes my size. I'm not really a fan of huge spacers above the stem, but I'm worried about affecting resale. Trim it neat or stack spacers above the stem to preserve the steerer?

cmbicycles
04-11-2015, 10:36 PM
I usually keep some spacers on top, 5-7mm, on my bikes just because... I've always done it with a thought towards resale I tell myself. Mostly that's just what I've always done and I'm a creature of habit.

I run a tad less drop on my bikes... also 6'5" about a 60TT. Even so, figuring that bikes this size have taller headtubes (18-20cm) + 40mm stem+ 35 mm headset stack + ??mm spacers to start with, you should still end up with a pretty long steerer (250+) unless you are slamming the stem. Would playing with stem angle help with keeping spacer under the stem? Is this a stock/painted to match fork or is it easily replaced aesthetically?

Is this for a specific bike or just in general?

eddief
04-11-2015, 10:42 PM
If it is an off the shelf Enve, then a new buyer could simply buy a new fork with an uncut steerer. If it is painted to match, I understand your dilemma. I need all the steerer I can get and have not bought many a frameset due to too-short steerers. Part of enjoying cycling is also enjoying the aesthetics of the machine, so what do you commit to?

Lewis Moon
04-11-2015, 10:45 PM
I'm running a 10mm top spacer already on top of my Ridley X-Fire (205mm HT)

pdmtong
04-11-2015, 11:01 PM
you are 7" taller than me but only 4cm more drop?

cut it....YOLO!

OTOH the reason to leave it is for age-proofing

Russian bear
04-11-2015, 11:17 PM
Cut it and slam it.

Ken Robb
04-12-2015, 02:57 AM
I would leave it uncut. I too have had to pass on used frames with steerers too short for me because I need my bars at saddle height or above. OTOH if you think you will never sell this frame or get old and stiff yourself cut it as short as you like. :banana:

Cicli
04-12-2015, 03:47 AM
I am sorry, I do not understand making compromises in the interest of something that may or may not happen some time in the future. Cut the stem properly.

Ozrider
04-12-2015, 05:07 AM
I'm with @Tihsepa, I buy a bike I really like and plan on keeping a few years.
Resale value on a used bike is crap anyway, it's not a financial investment, it's a tool to be used, enjoyed and eventually relegated to spare bike or sold on.
Why compromise your fit and aesthetics to preserve a questionable increase in resale value?

sandyrs
04-12-2015, 05:51 AM
Strictly speaking you should always run a 5mm spacer on top of the stem on a carbon steerer. You don't want to clamp your stem on the very end of the steerer. A friend got the carbon splinter to prove it when he went to change stems on such a setup. Sometimes you get a bike and for fit reasons have to forego this, but I wouldn't trim a steerer down to no spacers on top just for aesthetic reasons.

Also, not every bike is a Grail bike. If it's a bike you just intend to ride for a while then sell, then who cares? Leave the steerer. If it's something you want to keep forever, I guess that's different. I like 2cm of spacers above my stem, 1cm below if I can make it happen on a given bike. It gives me the opportunity to change my position slightly (say, over the winter when I'm less flexible), and personally I don't think it looks worse than no spacers on top.

Cicli
04-12-2015, 05:59 AM
Strictly speaking you should always run a 5mm spacer on top of the stem on a carbon steerer. You don't want to clamp your stem on the very end of the steerer.

This is not accurate. Not all fork manufacturers require steer tube above the stem. Some do, but not always. If you are running a carbon steer tube you also need to be careful you dont clamp below the support of the compression plug. A good compression plug will support the top of the steer tube no problem and it will be fine.

OtayBW
04-12-2015, 07:22 AM
I would leave it uncut. I too have had to pass on used frames with steerers too short for me because I need my bars at saddle height or above. OTOH if you think you will never sell this frame or get old and stiff yourself cut it as short as you like. :banana:
I have passed on used frames with slammed steerers as well. Another option: cut it as short as you like, but price it accordingly per the modification if selling.

bikenut
04-12-2015, 07:35 AM
I have used a zero rise stem(ea90) to split the difference between amount of spacers and stem rise. A zero rise stem allows me to eliminate one 10mm spacer compared to a -6 degree stem. It also does not have the appearance of an upturned + rise stem.

fuzzalow
04-12-2015, 07:40 AM
This is not accurate. Not all fork manufacturers require steer tube above the stem. Some do, but not always. If you are running a carbon steer tube you also need to be careful you dont clamp below the support of the compression plug. A good compression plug will support the top of the steer tube no problem and it will be fine.

Agree. The compression plug in the latest Enve Road fork is setup just this way. There is no portion of the steerer tube unsupported by the expansion plug pressured outwards versus the clamping pressure of a stem inwards, as it were, on a properly sized & cut steerer tube.

I run 11.5cm of drop while running a saddle height of 745mm so whether I like it or not, I gotta slam it. I don't care a bit about leaving "no tube left" above the stem clamp - it's my bike and I'm not interested or care about resale.

SlackMan
04-12-2015, 08:45 AM
I have passed on used frames with slammed steerers as well. Another option: cut it as short as you like, but price it accordingly per the modification if selling.

I have passed on countless frames because steerer was cut too short (I have long legs and short torso). So, I recommend either leaving more steerer tube or planning on pricing it low enough that buyer could buy replacement fork.

sweet_johnny
04-12-2015, 08:57 AM
I agree with some of the other comments here. It's your bike. Cut the steerer properly. Forks are (relatively) easily replaced IF you decide to sell it down the road.

If you do wind up selling, I think there's also a level of understanding from the buyer that he/she is buying a used bike and that the previous owner has made personalizations/modifications to the bike.

shovelhd
04-12-2015, 08:57 AM
Riding your bike reduces resale. Is it about money or is it about enjoying your bike? Figure that out and you'll have your answer.

Lewis Moon
04-12-2015, 11:59 AM
Riding your bike reduces resale. Is it about money or is it about enjoying your bike? Figure that out and you'll have your answer.

There ya go. Shoveler bringin' the perspective.

christian
04-12-2015, 12:11 PM
I leave a cm above. Doesn't seem to affect my enjoyment of the bike.

shovelhd
04-12-2015, 12:43 PM
FYI I have a 10mm tapered top cap under and a 5mm spacer on top.

pdmtong
04-13-2015, 12:41 AM
three of my frames have painted to match forks. and not the kind easily replicated by JB (ex: ciavete)

Because I cant easily replace that paint I left some steerer while dialing my ride.

2014 saw me dealing with some out-of-the-blue L5-S1 issues so who knows where my drop may end up. Fark! Glad I didnt chop them (yet).

Besides, convenient post to hook my helmet to during the espresso stop

fogrider
04-13-2015, 02:08 AM
FYI I have a 10mm tapered top cap under and a 5mm spacer on top.

you should leave about 3-5mm on top to keep the stresses from the bolt away from the cut edge. I have one bike that is cut tight, I keep the top bolt with less torque than the lower bolt.