PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed: what freewheel for mid 70s Nuovo Record group?

Gsinill
04-11-2015, 06:32 PM
I am restoring a 74 Paramount frameset and want to stick with original equipment which means Nuovo Record group and 5s high flange hubs.
I got the rear hub (BSA) but still need a freewheel.
According to Sheldon, the different FW brands are interchangeable as long as they are BSA.
Any recommendation? Sounds like Shimano provides the best shifting.
Since this is my first freewheel build, anything else to be aware of/consider?

Thanks,
GS

Cicli
04-11-2015, 06:37 PM
I had good luck with Regina.

jvp
04-11-2015, 06:41 PM
Whatever you use, make sure you have, or have access to, the tool to remove it.

Ralph
04-11-2015, 06:44 PM
The bike probably came with a Regina. I bought a 1974 P13 Paramount new, all Nuovo Record including brakes, and it came from factory with a 49-52 front, and a 5 speed Regina rear freewheel. 14-16-18-21-24. A 42-52 front was an option.

Ken Robb
04-11-2015, 06:54 PM
I had a 1981 NR group. I replaced the original freewheel with a 7 speed Sunrace with shift ramps. This changed shifting. With the original old style cogs we had to move the shift lever past the point where the chain would be centered on the next cog and then move it back to center the chain. With the ramped cogs we only needed to move the lever about half as far until the chain jumped up or down to the next cog. I was glad both systems worked fine because the new freewheels were more readily available and I was able to get a 28 tooth cog which helped me climb with the 42 "small" ring.

David Kirk
04-11-2015, 06:57 PM
Regina freewheel. If you are going to ride it and want it to work as well as this stuff did put a Sedis Sport chain on it and pass by the Regina chain. If it's just for show put a Regina chain on it.

dave

merckx
04-11-2015, 07:19 PM
A Regina 13x17 Oro with a Regina Record Oro chain would be proper. Post some pics.

572cv
04-11-2015, 08:13 PM
Regina with Sedisport chain was the way to go. But for gear range in climbing, an old Cyclopans set gave you something pretty interchangeable, when some big gears were needed for climbing. Think Mt Washington Hillclimb on a bike from this era. Been there, done that.

Gsinill
04-11-2015, 08:23 PM
Yep, plan is to ride it.
Thanks for all the input (gotta love this place :))

Not a lot to show yet. The frame came with an ok respray which doesn't really matter since I will strip it anyway.

http://i62.tinypic.com/zjyqg3.png

Apparently no more chrome on lugs and fork bridge (I stripped the paint from the fork bridge and it looks like it was sandblasted at some point).
Will have the whole thing media blasted and then re-chrome HT lugs, fork bridge, fork blades and rear triangle.
I will most likely go with black but might consider the original paint in case the provenance report from Waterford includes the color.

Cheers,
GS

oldpotatoe
04-12-2015, 08:35 AM
I am restoring a 74 Paramount frameset and want to stick with original equipment which means Nuovo Record group and 5s high flange hubs.
I got the rear hub (BSA) but still need a freewheel.
According to Sheldon, the different FW brands are interchangeable as long as they are BSA.
Any recommendation? Sounds like Shimano provides the best shifting.
Since this is my first freewheel build, anything else to be aware of/consider?

Thanks,
GS

120mm spacing means a 5 speed or ultra 6s. 126mm spacing, 5/6 speed, ultra 7. Lotsa of Regina, suntour, shimano freewheels out there. shimano does shift the best, even with friction but their twisted tooth 5s are rare(not sure they even exist).

04-12-2015, 10:17 AM
A Regina Oro would have been the most common freewheel. As mentioned above, a Cyclopans had a level cog ramp so you could mount any cogs in any order you wanted -- nice if you bought the kit but a waste otherwise. I always had good luck with Regina Oro chains, so I wouldn't necessarily knock them. And your stuff gotta match, y'know?

Suntours were good as well. But if I remember correctly, Campy had their Record alloy freewheel out at that point. Yes, it's alloy, but it's awful purty and has the right name. While prices on NOS ones are astronomical because of collectors, a slightly used one is pretty reasonable and they were very smooth.

witcombusa
04-12-2015, 11:41 AM
I run almost all my old 120mm spaced frame with Suntour Ultra6 freewheels.
Use the 'extra' cog to get a 26t or 28t on there if you need it where you ride.
You can also run a TA 41t front inner ring (still available).

El Chaba
04-13-2015, 08:04 AM
With a Campy Nuovo Record RD, the space from the jockey wheel to the cog is considerable, so they really benefit from a laterally stiff chain....So, something like a Regina Oro, Everest or Regina CX would be quite a bit better a choice than a Sedisport which is quite flexible laterally....