PDA

View Full Version : OT: All-Electric Vehicle: Anyone driving them?

ofcounsel
04-11-2015, 02:37 AM
Well, I bought an all electric vehicle. Got myself a VW e-Golf.

I live in Orange County, CA, but commute 36 miles each way for work into Downtown LA every day. Due to my varied work hours, I commute solo each morning. Without using carpool/toll lanes, my commute is approximately 1 hour 15 minutes each way. With my gas powered car, I can access a segment of carpool/toll lanes using a "Fastrak" transponder. It's about 10 miles long and saves me about 15 minutes each way on my commute at the cost of about $15 per day. But that leaves about 20 miles of carpool lanes I can't access at any cost in my gas car.

With the EV, I can access all of the carpool lanes and it doesn't cost me anything (EV's are exempt from paying the Fasttrak tolls). I expect to shave a total of about 30 minutes off my commute time each way. An hour of my life back each day was so appealing, so I took the plunge!

Anyone else out there driving an all-electric vehicle? Any horror stories or things I should look out for? Any good stories?

dgauthier
04-11-2015, 03:03 AM
Good story: a few years ago the father of one of my daughter's friends arrived at my home in his new electric RAV-4. He told me of his experience driving it off the lot: "I asked the dealer: How do I take care of this thing? The dealer looked at me and rolled his eyes: Are you kidding? Rotate the tires every 70,000 miles."

There's a reason so many electric car owners rave about their cars. An electric car requires all the maintenance of a lamp. Enjoy your new ride, and please report back about your experiences. Cars that don't belch poisonous fumes are somehow very apropos on a cycling website.

vqdriver
04-11-2015, 03:14 AM
Envious

We'll be shopping for a commuter this summer. In socal too. Are plug in hybrids allowed in carpool/fastrak exempt as well?

vqdriver
04-11-2015, 03:15 AM
Envious

We'll be shopping for a commuter this summer. In socal too. Are plug in hybrids allowed in carpool/fastrak exempt as well?

ofcounsel
04-11-2015, 03:41 AM
Good story: a few years ago the father of one of my daughter's friends arrived at my home in his new electric RAV-4. He told me of his experience driving it off the lot: "I asked the dealer: How do I take care of this thing? The dealer looked at me and rolled his eyes: Are you kidding? Rotate the tires every 70,000 miles."

There's a reason so many electric car owners rave about their cars. An electric car requires all the maintenance of a lamp. Enjoy your new ride, and please report back about your experiences. Cars that don't belch poisonous fumes are somehow very apropos on a cycling website.

Oh that's great to hear! I hadn't given much thought to maintenance. That will be really nice!!

Envious

Plug-in hybrids are allowed in carpools/fastrak, if you apply to the state to get your carpool lane stickers. Plug-in hybrids get green stickers instead of the white stickers that the full electric cars get. The number of green stickers the DMV gives out every year is limited, and the state statutes that authorize the green stickers must be renewed each year. There's no limit to how many white stickers the state can issue. Once you get your stickers, each type of sticker shares the same carpool/toll lane benefits.

As of as April 8, 2015, the DMV has issued has 8,255 total green sticker sets. The total amount of green stickers available this year is 15,000.

All the stickers expire on Jan 1, 2019 unless the legislature re-authorizes their use.

mgm777
04-11-2015, 06:45 AM
A good friend of mine, long-time workmate, has owned a Tesla for about 2 years. He lives in OC. He absolutely loves his car. Says driving a normal gas car now feels primitive, technology wise. He loves the vehicle so much, he just ordered another Tesla for his wife. Zero maintenance, as others have said. If Tesla can figure out how to make a $40-50K vehicle, they will change the world.

ultraman6970
04-11-2015, 09:06 AM
Well you can get a ford focus electric for 30 thousand, that is not that bad... I do agree... when tesla figure it out a 30 thousand model that will be a good thing (would not surprise me that they already did, the thing is the industry will allow them to sell a car like that?)

I've been seeing the pint size BMW electric one quite often there in the area.

What about the people that is driving electric conversions for old cars? they can get those white stickers too??

oldpotatoe
04-11-2015, 09:16 AM
Well you can get a ford focus electric for 30 thousand, that is not that bad... I do agree... when tesla figure it out a 30 thousand model that will be a good thing (would not surprise me that they already did, the thing is the industry will allow them to sell a car like that?)

I've been seeing the pint size BMW electric one quite often there in the area.

What about the people that is driving electric conversions for old cars? they can get those white stickers too??

Seen a couple of the pint sized BMWs around here..lotsa $($45K or so) for a small car with short-ish range. Think 'E' cars needs to have quicker charging, longer range, less $ and more expensive(scarce) oil..to make a go of it large scale.

As an example..I had to drive to Monument yesterday from Boulder. I would not be able to do it in an E car...since no charging at my destination. For short haul, with charging stations, they can work and be cheap to operate.

What's the progress on fuel cells? Tough with 50buck a barrel and plentiful oil tho...

velomonkey
04-11-2015, 09:52 AM
I want to hear about the VW - so please post or PM me - that's a car that does interest me.

Tesla has a great thing, but there is a sense of exclusive love (think Vanilla frames). However, I did drive one and I gotta say it was incredible. I'd still be hard pressed not to take a BMW M5 if all were equal (which it's not).

With oil at 50 bucks a barrel now is the time to buy electric, am I will bet a lot $50 aint gonna last a year.

One awesome note: in an all electric engine the only liquid to replace is the washer fluid. It's crazy.

oldpotatoe
04-11-2015, 10:08 AM
I want to hear about the VW - so please post or PM me - that's a car that does interest me.

Tesla has a great thing, but there is a sense of exclusive love (think Vanilla frames). However, I did drive one and I gotta say it was incredible. I'd still be hard pressed not to take a BMW M5 if all were equal (which it's not).

With oil at 50 bucks a barrel now is the time to buy electric, am I will bet a lot $50 aint gonna last a year.

One awesome note: in an all electric engine the only liquid to replace is the washer fluid. It's crazy.

https://www.vw.com/models/e-golf

enr1co
04-11-2015, 10:13 AM
A good friend of mine, long-time workmate, has owned a Tesla for about 2 years. He lives in OC. He absolutely loves his car. Says driving a normal gas car now feels primitive, technology wise. He loves the vehicle so much, he just ordered another Tesla for his wife. Zero maintenance, as others have said. If Tesla can figure out how to make a $40-50K vehicle, they will change the world.

Love the zero maintenance (except for tires and brakes and wipers) of my Model S85 and no charge Tesla super charging network- I'm done with supporting big oil.

Zero emissions all the way!

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/3577307/view/IMG_4257.JPG

JAllen
04-11-2015, 10:17 AM
I was this *holding my fingers close together* close to trading in my current vehicle in to lease a Nissan Leaf. I test drove it and LOVED it. I also like the fact it is zero emissions.

oldpotatoe
04-11-2015, 10:18 AM
[QUOTE=enr1co;1739533]Love the zero maintenance (except for tires and brakes and wipers) of my Model S85 and no charge Tesla super charging network- I'm done with supporting big oil.

Zero emissions all the way!

Biggest source of electrical power generation in CA is natural gas..biggest US producer of natural gas is......BP, British Petroleum..

Not trying to argue but yes, your car produces no emissions but the place that makes your electricity, does.

93legendti
04-11-2015, 10:20 AM
There's no free lunch.

enr1co
04-11-2015, 10:20 AM

I live in Orange County, CA, but commute 36 miles each way for work into Downtown LA every day. Due to my varied work hours, I commute solo each morning. Without using carpool/toll lanes, my commute is approximately 1 hour 15 minutes each way. With my gas powered car, I can access a segment of carpool/toll lanes using a "Fastrak" transponder. It's about 10 miles long and saves me about 15 minutes each way on my commute at the cost of about $15 per day. But that leaves about 20 miles of carpool lanes I can't access at any cost in my gas car.

With the EV, I can access all of the carpool lanes and it doesn't cost me anything (EV's are exempt from paying the Fasttrak tolls). I expect to shave a total of about 30 minutes off my commute time each way. An hour of my life back each day was so appealing, so I took the plunge!

Anyone else out there driving an all-electric vehicle? Any horror stories or things I should look out for? Any good stories?

Ive cut my commute time from 35-45 minutes to 15 minutes by being able to use the EV/car pool lane to my work place :)

NHAero
04-11-2015, 10:29 AM
There's no free lunch, but our small employee-owned design/build/energy company has 46 kW of solar electric array powering the office/shop, with some surplus for electric vehicle use. Planning on an office EV this fiscal year. Good friend has a Smart EV and owns a auto repair shop maintaining mostly German cars (won't work on Japanese cars, don't break enough :-) He says, once the critical mass is reached, EVs will be cheaper, so many fewer systems and parts.

We have about 2,000 kWh surplus on our home PV system, so next car will be an EV - living on an island the range issue goes away for one car anyway.

JAllen
04-11-2015, 10:31 AM

I believe Tesla has opened most all their patents and technology for anyone to use. We should see the positive outcome of this in a couple years I'm sure.

ofcounsel
04-11-2015, 02:07 PM
So far, I'm figuring the car out. Just took it to breakfast and was able to plug in at the parking structure adjacent to where I ate! It topped off while I ate, and it was free!!! Very cool!

As far as the car feels, it feels pretty much just like the standard Golf, which is a good thing. It's very quiet however, so it's going to take some getting used to.

I got a decent lease deal. I put $2500 down, and I'm paying $229 per month plus tax, so total comes out to $246 per month. 3 year lease with 15,000 per year (the national advertised lease special is $229 +tax w/2,340 down, for 10k miles per year, but since I have a long commute, I negotiated for more miles), 45,000 miles total with $.20 per mile thereafter I get a $2500 rebate from the State of California, so get my down payment back. Residual on the car is about $11,800 if I decide to buy it after 3 years.

Currently, I spend a little over $200 per month in fuel just for my commute in my BMW 328i. Then I spend about $15 per day using fastrak to access about 10 miles of carpool lanes to and from work while driving solo (but that doesn't give me access to another 20 miles of carpool lanes I could use while driving solo with an EV, but not with a regular car).

On top of that, I can now qualify for reduced residential electric utility rates. So, overall, even when adding in insurance, and combining with the fact that I can also charge for free at work, this car kind of pays for itself :)

I'm keeping the 328i, and I also have an older 2001 M3 convertible as weekend car, so this car will be strictly for the daily commute. If I have to go anywhere for longer distances, I can always use one of the other cars.

ofcounsel
04-11-2015, 02:10 PM
Ive cut my commute time from 35-45 minutes to 15 minutes by being able to use the EV/car pool lane to my work place :)

That's awesome!!!! :banana:

enr1co
04-11-2015, 02:25 PM
That's awesome!!!! :banana:

Congrats on your EV purchase! The more we move away from fossil fuel, the better. :banana:

fatallightning
04-11-2015, 03:40 PM
I have a Focus EV, just clocked a month over a year. I'm paying about 205 a month with $3k down. Window sticker is 36k, NY doesn't quite have the same state incentives an CA, nor do we have HOV lanes for the most part. My commute is about 12 miles each way. I don't have a 220v home charger, normal wall. If I completely deplete the battery (about 85 miles in ideal conditions), it takes 21 hours to charge. It would be 2.5 hours on 220v. The Focus wasn't conceived EV, so the battery pack takes up some hatch room. Seats still fold flat. Options wise, it's loaded, everything a Titanium/Plat whatever it is has. My downsides, winters suck. Between lowered battery efficiency in the cold, and running a heater, range down in the 45-50 miles is the norm. Also crusing at 75-80 (highway speed in many parts) is also a pretty big killer. 60 is a sweet spot. Set the cruise and put your feet up. Otherwise, I dig it. My close commute makes it fine, I have a second leisure car. The occasional longer trips are a buzzkill. The infrastructure is weak for charging. The build out by Tesla for a charging standard is different then Ford/Leaf/VW right now. Next car, I'd do the allegedly upcoming Tesla model III or the 1.0L Ecoboost SFE Fiesta.

malbecman
04-11-2015, 04:32 PM
We've had a Leaf for 2 years exactly now and love it. We have a minivan for the weekend long trips with the family and dogs but for any shorter trips, the EV is the way to go. Plenty of instant torque so the 0-30mph is plenty quick....30-60mph is a tad slow but ok, more like a Prius.

Maintenance has been none so far....one software upgrade for which we had to take it in (it does not do them over the air like Tesla). No oil changes, no trips to the gas pump, etc. Just plug it in like your cell phone. :)

Our lease payment is similar, like $225 per month.

SlackMan
04-11-2015, 04:32 PM
So let's see: Policymakers let EVs and hybrids use HOV/carpool lanes so that their time on the road is minimized. By contrast, they leave the carbon-based cars and trucks that pollute more to sit idling in the traffic jams in the regular lanes spewing pollution into the atmosphere. Wouldn't it make sense to try to minimize the time the polluting cars are on the road? :confused:

NHAero
04-11-2015, 05:23 PM
$2500 + $246/month x 36 months + $11,800 = $23,156 all in to own the car after three years. Did I miss something, that seems cheap!

I got a decent lease deal. I put $2500 down, and I'm paying $229 per month plus tax, so total comes out to $246 per month. 3 year lease with 15,000 per year (the national advertised lease special is $229 +tax w/2,340 down, for 10k miles per year, but since I have a long commute, I negotiated for more miles), 45,000 miles total with $.20 per mile thereafter I get a $2500 rebate from the State of California, so get my down payment back. Residual on the car is about $11,800 if I decide to buy it after 3 years.

NHAero
04-11-2015, 05:24 PM
What are you EV folks getting in miles per kWh? I hear 3 quoted as typical, is that realistic?

enr1co
04-11-2015, 05:30 PM
There's no free lunch.

Yep, definitely familiar with "no free lunch" in life but dont miss visiting gas stations one bit :cool:

enr1co
04-11-2015, 06:29 PM
What are you EV folks getting in miles per kWh? I hear 3 quoted as typical, is that realistic?

3 to 3.5 miles per kWh.

Anarchist
04-11-2015, 06:41 PM
Congrats on your EV purchase! The more we move away from fossil fuel, the better. :banana:

In most places in NA, how do you think they produce electricity?

aramis
04-11-2015, 06:47 PM
Wife had a leaf for the 99 a month lease deal and I liked it. Actual car was Ok ( cheap suspension/interior/etc) but the electric part was great. Had a few issues (suspension, ac hard line) but none were related to the electric part. I think just nissans aren't that great. Turned it in a month ago.

If you are in CA there are some great deals on electric car leases. I heard the fiats they were doing 80 or so a mo with 1 k down. Nuts. Electric is so much smoother and quieter. Almost no engine/trans related maintenance and I would think brakes last much longer due to the regen.

enr1co
04-11-2015, 07:10 PM
In most places in NA, how do you think they produce electricity?
Fossil fuel of course- for now until alternative forms are developed/advanced.
Was merely extending congratulations to ofcounsel on his purchase and no longer needing to purchase fossil fuel/oil/gas for his EV.

malbecman
04-11-2015, 07:16 PM
3 to 3.5 miles per kWh.

The statistic or conversation starter that our local EV club floats around is much more practical and easy for the laymen to understand:

" At our local electricity rates (PG&E here in CA) it costs me about $3.50 in electricity to go 100 miles in my EV. How far does YOUR car go on $3.50 worth of gas?" :banana:

Ozrider
04-12-2015, 06:35 AM
At present an EV is NOT environmentally friendly
Electricity needs to be produced, and the batteries usually are toxic to the environment once time comes to replace/dump/recycle them.
Really a false sense of being environmentally friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zap
04-12-2015, 06:59 AM
EV's have very steep depreciation-Tesla excepted. Plenty of 2-3 year old Leaf's available for little money. The situation is so bad there is talk of Nissan purchasing used Leafs from dealers and discontinuing the model.

Zero maintenace....battery pack needs to be replaced at some point.....and that is very expensive. Reason for steep depreciation.

Leasing makes a lot of sense. The manufacturers take the financial hit and you turn the car in when the lease expires......well before the battery pack needs to be replaced.

54ny77
04-12-2015, 07:20 AM
Been in a few electric car, not a Tesla though. It's a weird sensation. I hear the Tesla go-fast model is a rocketship.

Personally, for a commuter-style vehicle I'd rather have a nice new Honda Civic that gets 30+ mpg avg. (higher on hwy) and will last for a couple hundred k miles over [x] years with no issues. It's not disposable like the electric cars will inevitably be (if not already due to battery longevity), which begets the question as to its true environmental footprint. Batteries degrade, at some point the charge looses its oomph. Can't imagine replacing them will be cheap.

Then again, neither is replacing a transmission, and on and on....

oldpotatoe
04-12-2015, 08:28 AM
The statistic or conversation starter that our local EV club floats around is much more practical and easy for the laymen to understand:

" At our local electricity rates (PG&E here in CA) it costs me about $3.50 in electricity to go 100 miles in my EV. How far does YOUR car go on $3.50 worth of gas?" :banana:

About 55 miles and I could buy 2 e cars for my one diesel(or 4 with regards to a Tesla).

shovelhd
04-12-2015, 09:18 AM
The battery concerns are overblown. 165k on my wife's 2008 Highlander Hybrid and the battery pack checks out fine. EV's have bigger and more expensive batteries but the technologies used are essentially the same. For me it would be a commuter only, and the charging stations at work are already full. Not worth it when considering a 3rd vehicle insurance, property taxes, and registration costs. If I had a longer commute in traffick I would jump at one. In the meantime I drive my 45mpg, much larger diesel wagon.

dgauthier
04-12-2015, 09:23 AM
About 55 miles and I could buy 2 e cars for my one diesel(or 4 with regards to a Tesla).

Zing! Yup, for long term economy, nothing currently beats a diesel.

This sent me back to the original poster, who interestingly never mentions economy. He talks about saving an hour per day in the car pool lane.

He bought his car thanks to government forces that favor one technology over another. (That doesn't stop me from hoping he has a wonderful experience anyway. ;) ) For electric cars to *really* catch on, they have to be as good or better in every way: performance, purchase cost, long term ownership costs (what will it cost to replace those batteries?), and product lifetime. Tesla gets this, and that's what makes them so interesting right now.

ofcounsel
04-12-2015, 11:38 AM
$2500 + $246/month x 36 months + $11,800 = $23,156 all in to own the car after three years. Did I miss something, that seems cheap!

YES, what you missed is that my cost to own, if I decide to buy after for 3 years is even CHEAPER! I get a State $2500 rebate check in about 6 to 8 weeks!!!! So my initial outlay in 3 years of leasing at $246/month x 36 months is only around $8860! So my NET outlay to OWN after 3 years is about $20,650!!!

The Sticker price of the car was about $34,500, but VW has dealer incentives that I negotiated on baking into my deal. So the net "Purchase Price" on my contract was about $28,200. The Federal government then kicks in $7500 in rebates. I get the state rebate of $2500 And VW eats up a few thousand of the vehicle depreciation on the back end too. I don't doubt that VW is losing a bit of money on each of these they sell... See the following: http://blog.caranddriver.com/fiat-chrysler-ceo-sergio-marchionne-on-fiat-500e-ev-dont-buy-it/

Additionally, I'm no longer paying the tolls at the cost of over $300 per month! And My fuel cost goes from about $200 per month to about $50 per month! And my overall residential electric utility rates go down too, because I can take advantage of revised rates that one can apply for when they have an electric vehicle.

Zing! Yup, for long term economy, nothing currently beats a diesel.

This sent me back to the original poster, who interestingly never mentions economy. He talks about saving an hour per day in the car pool lane.

He bought his car thanks to government forces that favor one technology over another. (That doesn't stop me from hoping he has a wonderful experience anyway. ;) ) For electric cars to *really* catch on, they have to be as good or better in every way: performance, purchase cost, long term ownership costs (what will it cost to replace those batteries?), and product lifetime. Tesla gets this, and that's what makes them so interesting right now.

This is ABSOLUTELY True. The federal government and the State of California overload and stack the deck in favor of electric cars big time! I'm not suggesting the government market manipulation is good or bad thing, but simply stating that they clearly do. But it's very clear government stacks the deck for EV's in a way the makes them a no-brainer for someone in my situation. Not only do I get an hour of my life back each day, the car, pays for itself in lieu of using my gas powered vehicle, even after adding the additional insurance costs I by adding the electric car to the stable. And if I had traded in my 2013 328i instead of keeping it, my savings would have been even greater!!!!!!

But, I think that once the companies can make the EV's like tesla at about the $40k price point and then we give electric infrastructure a bit more time to catch, the incentives will go away because electrics will make sense even without the incentives.

enr1co
04-12-2015, 05:10 PM
EV or internal combustion engine (ICE), an important consideration for any car choice- bike carrying capacity! ;)

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/3577307/view/IMG_4998.JPG

...oh yeah, this too :)

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/3577307/view/IMG_5002.JPG

ofcounsel
04-12-2015, 05:27 PM
Nice ^^^^^ Very nice!

fogrider
04-12-2015, 06:15 PM
think about how much r and d has gone into gas cars, if 1/10 of that was put into electric...it seems like tesla is top dog, vw and kia (soul) has made improvements over the leaf. bmw's has really good acceleration but the range is way too short. and it seems everyone is making a hybrid.

jlwdm
04-12-2015, 09:34 PM
So far our purchase of a Tesla 85 has been the worst car purchase I have ever made.

My wife does not like buying cars and in Seattle she had a 1986 C series Mercedes that she bought new - long before we were married. Although I guess not that long before we started dating. The Mercedes runs well, but there are little things that just can't be fixed - a/c, radio and so forth.

So for my wife's birthday last summer I bought her a Tesla. We test drove one and I thought it was really well finished and fun to drive.

The car was delivered near the end of September, and I have never even ridden it. I was in Seattle for a wedding last fall, and my wife would not drive the Tesla because it was raining. The real problem is that it is tight getting out of the garage, but not that bad as there are about 14 inches to spare at the rear wheel wells. There are red lights flashing when you back the car out of the garage, and the dealer told her to stop if the red lights are flashing. So she will not back the car out of the garage in less someone is there to watch.

So my wife is driving the 1986 Mercedes all of the time, and I do not even ask her about the car anymore. It is a sore subject.

Really low maintenance since it never gets driven.

Jeff

mistermo
04-13-2015, 06:20 AM
EV or internal combustion engine (ICE), an important consideration for any car choice- bike carrying capacity! ;)

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/3577307/view/IMG_4998.JPG

Which car is this?

oldpotatoe
04-13-2015, 06:25 AM
So far our purchase of a Tesla 85 has been the worst car purchase I have ever made.

My wife does not like buying cars and in Seattle she had a 1986 C series Mercedes that she bought new - long before we were married. Although I guess not that long before we started dating. The Mercedes runs well, but there are little things that just can't be fixed - a/c, radio and so forth.

So for my wife's birthday last summer I bought her a Tesla. We test drove one and I thought it was really well finished and fun to drive.

The car was delivered near the end of September, and I have never even ridden it. I was in Seattle for a wedding last fall, and my wife would not drive the Tesla because it was raining. The real problem is that it is tight getting out of the garage, but not that bad as there are about 14 inches to spare at the rear wheel wells. There are red lights flashing when you back the car out of the garage, and the dealer told her to stop if the red lights are flashing. So she will not back the car out of the garage in less someone is there to watch.

So my wife is driving the 1986 Mercedes all of the time, and I do not even ask her about the car anymore. It is a sore subject.

Jeff

yikes...can she get the M-B out of the garage? Sell the Tesla, fix the M-B..find wedded bliss once more?

velomonkey
04-13-2015, 09:28 AM
Said it before, will say it again.

Enr1co rolls with the finest stuff and has wicked swag.

enr1co
04-13-2015, 09:30 AM
Which car is this?

Tesla Model S:

58.1 cu ft of rear load-bay volume (with the seat down) or 26.3 cu ft (with the seat up).

Plus 5.3 cu ft of load space in the "frunk," or front trunk where a conventional car would have its engine and transmission- similar to a Porsche 911 front trunk area.
(Some folks will use this space to carry a spare tire as one is not included.)

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/2012-tesla-model-s_100365754_m.jpg

CNY rider
04-13-2015, 09:38 AM
yikes...can she get the M-B out of the garage? Sell the Tesla, fix the M-B..find wedded bliss once more?

Or sell the wife and the M-B, find a mistress that can back the Tesla out of the garage!

dancinkozmo
04-13-2015, 09:50 AM
is installation and hardware for the charging equipment you need at home included with these cars ?
I imagine you need at least a 220v line to minimize charging times

oldpotatoe
04-13-2015, 11:04 AM
is installation and hardware for the charging equipment you need at home included with these cars ?

For that kinda $ it better be....

ofcounsel
04-13-2015, 11:11 AM

Included with my car was a charger cable for 110/120v (standard residential voltage) service. 220v charging equipment is not standard on any of the cars as I understand (edit: maybe on the Tesla?) Equipment is about $600 plus install costs if you need it installed.

Charging my Golf from empty to full under standard 120v service takes about 20 hours. Bumping to 220v service charges the car in a little under 4 hours. Since I can charge back to full at work, I'd be about 55-60% power when I get home, assuming I go straight home. I'm guessing it will take 8-10 hours to recharge and get it to full for the next day.

enr1co
04-13-2015, 12:08 PM

Included with my car was a charger cable for 110/120v (standard residential voltage) service. 220v charging equipment is not standard on any of the cars as I understand (edit: maybe on the Tesla?) Equipment is about $600 plus install costs if you need it installed.

Charging my Golf from empty to full under standard 120v service takes about 20 hours. Bumping to 220v service charges the car in a little under 4 hours. Since I can charge back to full at work, I'd be about 55-60% power when I get home, assuming I go straight home. I'm guessing it will take 8-10 hours to recharge and get it to full for the next day.

No freebie 220V charging equipment from Tesla either!

Tesla only includes a charger cable for 110/120v and adapter plugs for 220V and public charging stations. EV owners are on their own to have a 220V outlet installed at their home (prices can vary) to accomodate a high powered charger/converter equipment. For CA buyers, this is what the $2500 clean air helps to subsidize.

My commute is ~30 miles/RT/day. I leverage the Tesla supercharger station which can provide an empty to full charge to 265 miles in ~40 minutes (no fee/ included in purchase price). The Fremont factory supercharger is conveniently close by so generally stop by there to "fill up" on the weekends. With this, I havent felt the need to install a 220 outlet and purchase additional charging equipment. Will use my included 110/120v cable to top off at home at night or if nominal charge needed during the week (which charges at a trickle rate at about 4 miles charge per hour).

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

Brian Smith
04-13-2015, 04:04 PM
The real problem is that it is tight getting out of the garage, but not that bad as there are about 14 inches to spare at the rear wheel wells. There are red lights flashing when you back the car out of the garage, and the dealer told her to stop if the red lights are flashing. So she will not back the car out of the garage in less someone is there to watch.

Jeff

That's a bummer of a car story.

Has the car had the recent OTA software upgrade to version 6.2 containing the autopilot parking feature? Maybe the dealer could work with her and get that functioning so that she can simply enter the car at the end of the driveway in the "free and clear?"

witcombusa
04-13-2015, 04:38 PM
Anyone else out there driving an all-electric vehicle?

Put me in the "when pigs fly" category :confused:

enr1co
04-13-2015, 04:43 PM

Has the car had the recent OTA software upgrade to version 6.2 containing the autopilot parking feature? Maybe the dealer could work with her and get that functioning so that she can simply enter the car at the end of the driveway in the "free and clear?"

This possibly could have been a solution but w/ OP mention the car purchase timing of ~ summer 2014 - this may have been just prior to Model S builds with included auto pilot hardware.

jlwdm
04-13-2015, 06:02 PM

We got lucky on that one. Delivery was late September and a few cars delivered the week we got the car had been upgraded so that the new software would work - including ours. The staff in Seattle were really surprised that we had the upgraded car.

Jeff

enr1co
04-13-2015, 06:15 PM
We got lucky on that one. Delivery was late September and a few cars delivered the week we got the car had been upgraded so that the new software would work - including ours. The staff in Seattle were really surprised that we had the upgraded car.

Jeff

Excellent- hope this helps things!

velomonkey
04-13-2015, 06:23 PM
I'm having issues reconciling this - so red lights come up, your wife stops, but the car still has clearance on a garage that was built - before the car.

My house is from 1880 - my garage is from 1960. My wife drives a 2010 Volvo XC90 - a car bigger than really what the garage was designed for. She has marks on the mirrors and the front grill cause she can't drive for crap and rubs the garage. It's my wife's issue and something I knew getting the car with my garage - not the car's fault. She has also busted out 2 tail lights even though the car has a backup sensor (which always goes off in the garage - every time). BTW, try saying "babe, it's an inanimate object - just navigate around it." - goes over real well.

So, I'm having issues with this "hey, honey, yes, generally stop when you see red, but you see red in the garage cause it's tight - let's work on getting out the garage." - Somehow this means the car is the worst ever??? What am I missing.

BTW: at 19 MPG I hate, hate my wife's car. My parents just got a loaded BMW X5 diesel - does way, way better. Let's be clear though - that's cause it's diesel and oil is $50 a barrel and it will go to $100. My energy bill, in the meantime, will not double. So, for now, diesel is decent, but who wants to bet that in 18 months oil won't be at, at least $85.

Jeff

jlwdm
04-13-2015, 11:46 PM
I'm having issues reconciling this - so red lights come up, your wife stops, but the car still has clearance on a garage that was built - before the car.

My house is from 1880 - my garage is from 1960. My wife drives a 2010 Volvo XC90 - a car bigger than really what the garage was designed for. She has marks on the mirrors and the front grill cause she can't drive for crap and rubs the garage. It's my wife's issue and something I knew getting the car with my garage - not the car's fault. She has also busted out 2 tail lights even though the car has a backup sensor (which always goes off in the garage - every time). BTW, try saying "babe, it's an inanimate object - just navigate around it." - goes over real well.

So, I'm having issues with this "hey, honey, yes, generally stop when you see red, but you see red in the garage cause it's tight - let's work on getting out the garage." - Somehow this means the car is the worst ever??? What am I missing.

BTW: at 19 MPG I hate, hate my wife's car. My parents just got a loaded BMW X5 diesel - does way, way better. Let's be clear though - that's cause it's diesel and oil is $50 a barrel and it will go to $100. My energy bill, in the meantime, will not double. So, for now, diesel is decent, but who wants to bet that in 18 months oil won't be at, at least $85.

I would estimate there is 14 inches total of clearance. On line there are lots of posts about problems getting out of the garage. Also she has talked to other Tesla owners who have problems. My wife listens to the dealer over me every time.

I ignore the warning lights on my X5 going into the garage every day.

I go to Seattle no more than 4 times a year for just 2 or 3 days at a time so I have just ignored the issue lately. Plus the house is for sale.

Jeff

enr1co
04-14-2015, 12:39 PM
Said it before, will say it again.

Enr1co rolls with the finest stuff and has wicked swag.

Lol! Rollin' with the fine stuff as I get it from you! :cool:

fogrider
05-04-2015, 10:49 PM

did you buy or lease? I'm seeing some lease deals around $200 bucks a month. I spend that much in gas each month! and there's free charging at work...at least for now.

Steve in SLO
05-04-2015, 11:42 PM
I just had a Fiat 500e delivered today. I did a three-year 30,000 mile lease, and after all gov't rebates, etc, the total cost for the lease is approximately $3600 over the three years. If I then subtract the money saved on gas, figuring on 18 miles per gallon at $3.50/gal, then add back the $1000 of electricity it may take to run it, then I end up ~ $1250 ahead of driving my petro vehicles. This does not include insurance, of course, but what a great way to dip my toes into new technology.
BTW: I have an 8 mile commute, and everything in our town is 10 minutes away, so it is a perfect town for an e-car.
First impressions are that is a fun car and so dang quiet! It seems well-built, and since I got the orange that is quite the attention grabber.

ofcounsel
05-05-2015, 12:08 AM
did you buy or lease? I'm seeing some lease deals around $200 bucks a month. I spend that much in gas each month! and there's free charging at work...at least for now.

I got my E-Golf for $2500 down (I get that back in the form of a rebate from the state of California) and $229 per month plus tax ($247 per month including tax). My mileage allowance is 15,000 per year. I also spend about $70 per month on insurance. My all-in cost to drive the car is about $320 per month since I get free electric charging at work

Yeah, I was spending about $220 per month on gas. And I was spending about $300+ per month fasttrak HOV lane tolls (which I can now use for free), and I get to use the non-fasttrak HOV lanes, which saves me an extra 1/2 hour per day on my commute.

So, all in, I save $200 per month, save 1/2 hour per day, and wear and tear the car I own and use on the weekends! Pretty sweet deal!

I just had a Fiat 500e delivered today. I did a three-year 30,000 mile lease, and after all gov't rebates, etc, the total cost for the lease is approximately $3600 over the three years. If I then subtract the money saved on gas, figuring on 18 miles per gallon at $3.50/gal, then add back the $1000 of electricity it may take to run it, then I end up ~ $1250 ahead of driving my petro vehicles. This does not include insurance, of course, but what a great way to dip my toes into new technology.
BTW: I have an 8 mile commute, and everything in our town is 10 minutes away, so it is a perfect town for an e-car.
First impressions are that is a fun car and so dang quiet! It seems well-built, and since I got the orange that is quite the attention grabber.

Congratulations! Two of my co-workers have been driving the Fiat 500e for a while now, and they love it! It's super peppy and fun to drive around in!

ajhapps
05-05-2015, 02:12 AM
I test drove an i3 last weekend. It was a really, really great ride. I drove a LEAF for a little while, and the i3 is light years ahead of the little Nissan EV. The LEAF was basically an econocar that had an interesting little electric drivetrain. The i3 is like a modern rocketship with all of the creature comforts you could want. It was a great ride, but most importantly, the interior is near perfect.

On a side note, a friend picked up his Model S P85D a couple of weeks ago. That car is ridiculously quick. I've never felt acceleration like that. Ever. Kind of a different level of spend, though.

enr1co
05-05-2015, 09:36 AM
I test drove an i3 last weekend. It was a really, really great ride. I drove a LEAF for a little while, and the i3 is light years ahead of the little Nissan EV. The LEAF was basically an econocar that had an interesting little electric drivetrain. The i3 is like a modern rocketship with all of the creature comforts you could want. It was a great ride, but most importantly, the interior is near perfect.

On a side note, a friend picked up his Model S P85D a couple of weeks ago. That car is ridiculously quick. I've never felt acceleration like that. Ever. Kind of a different level of spend, though.

If you are already in the spend scope of $45-55K for and I3, you can get likely find a near new, low mileage, CPO Model S 85 with 4yr/50K mi warranty for about $5-10K more. With exception of all wheel drive and auto pilot hardware of the latest Tesla releases within the past 6 months, a 2012/2014 Model S 85W or P85 still has the same tech, performance, ~260 mile range and use of the supercharger network.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/preowned

William
05-05-2015, 09:46 AM
Anyone make the jump yet?

Lightening Motorcycles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz1aTLBKIoQ

Mission Motorcycles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WypZvsIj8-k&index=12&list=PLcAFCEDZU39zLFOJzyEnSxBTxJzTxdlXl

Harley Davidson - Project Livewire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyJr8BoklC0

Brammo Empulse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nN1q2ihw2Y&list=PLcAFCEDZU39zLFOJzyEnSxBTxJzTxdlXl&index=22

William

Shortsocks
05-05-2015, 09:55 AM
I've got a Nissan Leaf. I'm on the Tailend of a 3 year lease. I really love this thing. I've been through 2 winters and horrible Texas summers. I'm at 24,000 miles and I've had zero mechanical problems with it. Other than the range, which is very dependent on weather, I've liked it quite a bit. We also have a gas powered car which we use when we need to go distances, but since owning the Leaf we have put maybe 1500 miles on the gas car a year. And those miles are only miles we used because either of us were using the Leaf.

For us automobiles are strictly transportation and I see ZERO need to spend money on a car if I don't have to. It's just a car. Gets my butt to somewhere else to put my butt....but either than that we really love our Leaf. 82% recycled materials make up the car which makes us happy. We pay close to nothing on electricity and we actually prefer NOT paying for gas. Win win.

enr1co
05-05-2015, 10:26 AM
I've got a Nissan Leaf. I'm on the Tailend of a 3 year lease. I really love this thing. I've been through 2 winters and horrible Texas summers. I'm at 24,000 miles and I've had zero mechanical problems with it. Other than the range, which is very dependent on weather, I've liked it quite a bit. We also have a gas powered car which we use when we need to go distances, but since owning the Leaf we have put maybe 1500 miles on the gas car a year. And those miles are only miles we used because either of us were using the Leaf.

For us automobiles are strictly transportation and I see ZERO need to spend money on a car if I don't have to. It's just a car. Gets my butt to somewhere else to put my butt....but either than that we really love our Leaf. 82% recycled materials make up the car which makes us happy. We pay close to nothing on electricity and we actually prefer NOT paying for gas. Win win.

Leafs are great EVs. A couple years back, we rented one for three weeks while in Hawaii and they literally turned on the light bulb for me and opened my mind to the + potential of EVs. Love the idea of not buying gas, fewer moving parts and systems than internal combustion vehicles as well as playing a small part in reducing the negative effects related to oil dependence.

Mark McM
05-05-2015, 11:04 AM

And where's our Thank You? Based on the actual production costs/MSRP, there is no way that you could be coming out ahead on costs* compared to of a gasoline vehicle without substantial tax payer paid subsidy.

*Well, direct costs anyway. Long term costs of petroleum use (pollution, climate change, regional political instability, etc.) are harder to calculate.

ofcounsel
05-05-2015, 12:03 PM
And where's our Thank You? Based on the actual production costs/MSRP, there is no way that you could be coming out ahead on costs* compared to of a gasoline vehicle without substantial tax payer paid subsidy.

*Well, direct costs anyway. Long term costs of petroleum use (pollution, climate change, regional political instability, etc.) are harder to calculate.

THANK YOU!

Yep, direct-to-customer Federal and State subsidies total $9000 here in CA.

Steve in SLO
05-06-2015, 01:52 AM

Heavens, where are my manners?
I would like to thank each and every Paceliner for kicking in approximately 1/100 of one cent for my enjoyment of my electric car.
Here's to you :beer:

verticaldoug
05-06-2015, 03:05 AM
THANK YOU!

That's more than a mommy and child will receive on welfare in California.
Funny how government handouts for the poor are the only ones the draw ire.

oldpotatoe
05-06-2015, 05:50 AM

But, but, but it's green......

ofcounsel
05-06-2015, 10:08 AM

I agree. Obviously, I'm not turning down the subsidy. But it's not lost on me that I'm probably the guy who least needs the subsidy.

On the other hand, if a subsidy isn't provided, then I --- and probably many others in California wouldn't buy the car because it's not otherwise practical for many like myself as a primary vehicle. Less vehicles means less of a rush for electric charging infrastructure. And less vehicles sold can mean less battery technology drive.

I imagine, at some point, that enough of the vehicles will sell (at a price point the average person can afford) and the technology will improve to the point that "range anxiety" isn't an issue. And that may come in the next few years the way things are progressing. But we're not there yet.

Mark McM
05-06-2015, 10:27 AM
THANK YOU!

And let's not forget the indirect subsidies, in lost fuel tax revenues.

Some (petroleum based) motorist claim that they have more of a right to use the roads than cyclists, because cyclists don't pay fuel taxes. So logically, these same motorists would have to claim that electric vehicle drivers have even less of a right to use the road.

Of course, both arguments are specious. But if everyone switched from petroleum vehicles to electric vehicles, we would have to find a different way to pay for infrastructure projects that currently get funding from fuel taxes.

enr1co
05-06-2015, 12:28 PM
THANK YOU!

Actually for 100% EVs the CA rebate is $2500 and eligible for a Federal $7500 tax credit =$10000
...and the ugly but invaluable white stickers for your car :)

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/58768935.jpg

Hydrogen fuel cell vehicle rebate =$5000
Plug in Hybrid vehicle =$1500

https://energycenter.org/clean-vehicle-rebate-project

http://driveclean.ca.gov/pev/Costs/Vehicles.php

54ny77
05-06-2015, 02:09 PM
don't forget the automakers got about $80 billion or so in, umm, subsidies, circa '08 and thereabouts.

i'd rather get something direct to buy a car that saves me money than unwittingly donate my pro rata share so as to pay the salaries of auto execs and have other $ go to pay the underfunded pension liabilities.

but, geithner didn't ask for my opinion on that....:bike:

Mark McM
05-06-2015, 02:26 PM
don't forget the automakers got about $80 billion or so in, umm, subsidies, circa '08 and thereabouts.

i'd rather get something direct to buy a car that saves me money than unwittingly donate my pro rata share so as to pay the salaries of auto execs and have other $ go to pay the underfunded pension liabilities.

but, geithner didn't ask for my opinion on that....:bike:

You mean you didn't take advantage of the "Cash for Clunkers" program?

559Rando
05-06-2015, 07:12 PM

With the EV, I can access all of the carpool lanes and it doesn't cost me anything (EV's are exempt from paying the Fasttrak tolls).

I'm way late to this party, but I got a CNG F-150 this year for the same reasons. Well...mostly. That is, not all toll roads are free. Case in point, "The Toll Roads" (73, 133, 241 or 261 - https://www.thetollroads.com/ontheroads/commonquestions) still charge. I'd take those for free if I could!

ofcounsel
05-06-2015, 07:26 PM
I'm way late to this party, but I got a CNG F-150 this year for the same reasons. Well...mostly. That is, not all toll roads are free. Case in point, "The Toll Roads" (73, 133, 241 or 261 - https://www.thetollroads.com/ontheroads/commonquestions) still charge. I'd take those for free if I could!

Yeah, I'm bummed that those aren't free... I use the 241/261 quite a bit on weekends to MTB riding destinations.