PDA

View Full Version : Fierte Ti creaking in BB area

Bridge66
04-16-2006, 07:13 PM
I just purchsed a new (unused) 2004 Fierte Ti at my LBS (see attached). My LBS had bought the frame from Serotta in 2004 and built it up. I purchased the bike about a week ago. When I first test rode it I loved it. About 100 miles into riding it I noticed a creak in the BB area when I would get out of the saddle or even peddal with minimal extra force. I took it back to my LBS and they tried two different things. 1. tightened the cranks and 2. re-greased the BB. Neither of these helped the creaking problem. They told me that I would have to leave it there for them to diagnose. On the way home I ended up riding by one of the LBS technicians and I ley him listen to the creak. He mentioned that titanium frames are known for this. Is this true, and if so, what are my options (do I have to buy earplugs)? I know Serotta has a warranty on faulty construction, but does that include "creaking". Thanks for your help.

Jeremy
04-16-2006, 07:29 PM
Titanium frames are not prone to creaking. There are many things that can cause creaking and sometimes, what sounds like bb creak is not even coming from the bb. What kind of bb do you have? Lipless designs (like Phil Wood) require Loctite on the threads or they will creak. Be systematic and you should be able to find and fix the creak.

Jeremy

shaq-d
04-16-2006, 07:40 PM
okay, so u know the bb and crank are fine. next is to lube the pedals where you click in. next is to regrease your seatpost. get back to us when u do this ;)

sd

Rich_W
04-16-2006, 07:44 PM
did you re-grease the pedal threads? That line "Titanium is prone to creaking" is a bunch of bull. also, the threads on the bb should be greased with anti-seize compound. not regular grease.

Check the skewers as well. they are often a culprit.

Larry
04-16-2006, 08:43 PM
Have your mechanic put a piece of (I believe it to be) Teflon tape on the threads of the BB. They did this on my CSi.....never had the problem again.
I use Campy BB. Ask your mechanic about this. A brand new bike should have no issues like this. I do not know how this procedure is exactly done,
but it works.

cydewaze
04-16-2006, 08:46 PM
I've found this page (http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=123) to be especially useful in diagnosing a creak.

Good luck.

Grant McLean
04-16-2006, 08:54 PM
I had a creaking on one of my ti bikes,
it turned out it was the front derailleur clamp. Finally checked
it, and after I gave it a little more juice, and the noise was gone.
Drove me nuts for about 2 weeks meanwhile, I had checked
everything else possible.

-g

Rover-Rich
04-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Good luck! I just had my Scott CR1 to the LBS for exactly the same type of drive train creak. I anticipated the worse, ie: frame failing but in the end, my worries were unfounded and furthermore, the exact cause was never determined. What they did was basically tighten everything up again and shortened the RD and FD cables. Creak gone. Make sure the major things are ruled out first, then go over all the bolts, don't forget the stem and brifter bolts too. Hope you find the problem.

sirroada
04-16-2006, 09:03 PM
The ti creaks thing is the biggest line of bull I have ever heard. He should have just said "I have no idea" instead of make this thing up. 1.) Check your pedals. 2.) Sometimes the machining on the threads in the bottom bracket tube can have a burr on them which causes the bottom bracket to creak. If the frame is painted or clearcoated paint could be on the face of the bottom bracket tube or in the threads. Have the bottom bracket tube faced by a good technician.

Grant McLean
04-16-2006, 09:08 PM
The ti creaks thing is the biggest line of bull I have ever heard. He should have just said "I have no idea" instead of make this thing up. 1.) Check your pedals. 2.) Sometimes the machining on the threads in the bottom bracket tube can have a burr on them which causes the bottom bracket to creak. If the frame is painted or clearcoated paint could be on the face of the bottom bracket tube or in the threads. Have the bottom bracket tube faced by a good technician.

I agree that it doesn't have to do with Ti exactly... But a lot of Ti bikes aren't
that stiff, and this can cause noises if the components are set up exactly
right.

At the shop, I've had to figure out a lot of noises on Ti bikes. Could also be
due to sloppy tolerances on litespeeds, and cheap headsets in integrated head
tubes. I can see why a "jump to conclusion" mechanic would say Ti is a problem
with noises.

-g

saab2000
04-16-2006, 09:16 PM
Probable cause in order of probability.

1. Dry threads. Put lots of anti-sieze in there. Or teflon tape.
2. Dry crank bolts. Well, it has happened on my bike.
3. Dry chainring bolts. If you loosen them and lube them don't overtighten.
4. Dry pedal threads.
5. Skewers. Not impossible.

Ti frames don't need to creak.

Grant McLean
04-16-2006, 09:50 PM
next is to regrease your seatpost.
sd

this is a good suggestion.

The Bianchi beater that I commute on during the winter, all of a sudden
I was getting a weird noise, only when I pedal, but didn't sound like
the drive train. Since it's a single speed, how much is there to go wrong?!

Now, I'm no stranger to hunting down creaks, 25 years around
the service shop, you see some stuff. I was checking all the usual suspects,
which got me exactly nowhere. I tried to pedal without hands on the bars,
Pedalling while standing, coasting and twisting, I couldn't figure out where
the "tick" was coming from.

At the point that I was sure it must be a crack in the frame somewhere,
I remembered that I had lowered my seat, and it was
just a little while later the noise appeared. I yanked the post, which was
tight in the frame the last cm down, and there was white corrosion on the tip.
Cleaned and lubed it, noise was gone. Who says your seat tube doesn't
flex!

-g

shaq-d
04-17-2006, 05:32 AM
At the point that I was sure it must be a crack in the frame somewhere,
I remembered that I had lowered my seat, and it was
just a little while later the noise appeared. I yanked the post, which was
tight in the frame the last cm down, and there was white corrosion on the tip.
Cleaned and lubed it, noise was gone. Who says your seat tube doesn't
flex!

lol, dang straight. i too had to hunt all over my bike to discover, by accident, the seatpost. i think i was on the bike for at least 3 months worth of inexplicable creaking until one day i fiddled with the saddle height and boom. no doubt, the seatpost creak is the wierdest of all... good weather we've been havin' here in the t.o. eh? finally get to ride my rides and wave to fellow cyclists...

sd

pdxmech13
04-17-2006, 08:56 AM
humor me and put some pedals on your
bike that you know are quiet. I can't tell from
your picture but it looks like you use spd
or a speedplay. say from your commuter
or mtb. if the bike is silent your Matlock.

Serotta_Andrew
04-17-2006, 09:15 AM
Bridge66,

Who is your dealer?