PDA

View Full Version : How much do directional arrows on tires matter?

DHallerman
04-10-2015, 05:26 PM
I'm guessing the answer is "it depends."

So, let's be more specific: Veloflex Corsa 700x25 tires. These are the first Veloflex tires I've ever used, and when I mounted them today, I did the usual: the brand logo -- only one spot on this tire -- above the valve stem hole facing the drivetrain side.

But then I noticed on the opposite, no-logo, side this very small notice: "Made In Italy -->" And with the way I mounted the tires, logo on the drivetrain side, this meant the arrow was pointing backwards.

Well, the Corsa has a mild tread, mildly directional too.

So, from those of you with experience with these tires, with this brand, how much do the directional arrows matter?
And in general, even if you've not used Veloflex Corsa tires, how much do you find the directional arrows matter for road tires?

Dave, the curious about directions in general

fatallightning
04-10-2015, 05:50 PM
Unless you're riding dirt, I find road direction matters not in the last bit.

Cicli
04-10-2015, 05:50 PM
I run corsas and they are mounted right. I dont know how much it really matters.

Birddog
04-10-2015, 06:23 PM
I thought the directional arrows were on there because they shed water better when mounted in the proper direction. Not sure where i got that though.

carpediemracing
04-10-2015, 06:24 PM
My first thought was that a year or two ago, in F1, teams found a significant advantage in mounting the (slick? no tread to speak of) tires backward. Apparently the casing was such that having the tires mounted backward was worth quite a bit of time, like a couple tenths or something. Pirelli had to issue a warning to teams to use the tires correctly for safety/other reasons.

I agree on the dirt assessment. I've ridden backward mounted mtb tires (initially we mounted some rear tires backward when there weren't specific front and rear tires) and it's really helped, depending on the tread and conditions (Ritchey's first directional mtb tire comes to mind, directional/correct up front, scooping reverse direction in the back).

Totally doesn't apply to the road for regular tires.

I do have rain tires (Vittoria Tech) and it would make sense to mount those in the proper direction, although I haven't ridden a backward mounted one to check.

On the other hand the OCD in me would mount the tire directionally correct.

DHallerman
04-10-2015, 06:30 PM
On the other hand the OCD in me would mount the tire directionally correct.

Hell, the OCD in me would start a thread like this.

zmudshark
04-10-2015, 06:37 PM
I tend to follow instructions. Instructions are usually not capricious. My very limited understanding of bicycle tires is that it has more to do with the casing direction than the actual tread direction on a road tire.

I also center the tire logo with the valve stem, and wrap both sides of the handlebars symmetrically.

I am only slightly OCD. My wife, on the other hand, is full blown.

vqdriver
04-10-2015, 06:46 PM
if you hadn't seen the arrow, you would have noticed nothing amiss whatsoever.

but since you did see the arrow, this will be the only factor in grip

Bstone
04-10-2015, 06:54 PM
ATEOTD is it really that much trouble to take off and remount a tire?

10 minutes tops.

DHallerman
04-10-2015, 07:07 PM

10 minutes tops.

Ah, I can see where my concern seems like that, but it's something else: familiarity and habit.

That is, to mount these Veloflex Corsa tires so the arrow points in the correct direction means the logo is on the non-drivetrain side and then the tire is blank on the side where I'm accustomed to seeing a company logo -- and I have just NEVER seen that kind of setup before.

I am The Creature Of Habit (tm).

Dave, who just had the thought that a perfectly blank black tire might look kinda nice from the drivetrain side

thwart
04-10-2015, 07:18 PM

10 minutes tops.

You've obviously never mounted brand new Veloflex tires, especially on a Campy rim.

rwsaunders
04-10-2015, 07:19 PM
I wouldn't ride it that way...said the guy who has been scraping tubular glue from a new to me set of wheels for the past 90 minutes because his wife is out of town and he'd just be watching the Duggars...:cool:

Ken Robb
04-10-2015, 07:23 PM
Speaking of tires in general including bicycle, motorcycle and automobile: As already stated tread designs are often directional to help evacuate water and prevent hydroplaning but bicycle tires are so narrow this is not usually a factor. The main effect comes on automobile tires, especially wide ones. There is a slight advantage on motorcycle tires.
I have read that a big reason to mount radial or bias-belted motorcycle tires in accordance with directional arrows is that the belts supporting the treads are sensitive to the direction the open end of the belt faces relative to the maximum forces applied to the tire. Front tires are most stressed by heavy braking so it's best for the "open" end of their belts to face rearward. Rear tires' heaviest stress is from hard acceleration so heir belts should have the open end face forward.

Has anyone experienced belt separation in bicycle tires?

thirdgenbird
04-10-2015, 07:24 PM
You've obviously never mounted brand new Veloflex tires, especially on a Campy rim.

Haha

zmudshark
04-10-2015, 07:45 PM
Has anyone experienced belt separation in bicycle tires?

I only mount in the direction specified by the manufacturer, so no.

Bstone
04-10-2015, 07:45 PM
Yes Thwart, you are correct. Nor is it likely to happen. Ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzz Killington
04-10-2015, 10:11 PM
This may be of interest:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/05/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/technical-faq-tire-grip-wet-conditions_328827

DHallerman
04-11-2015, 04:59 AM
This may be of interest:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/05/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/technical-faq-tire-grip-wet-conditions_328827

It is very much of interest, lots of perspective from people who, even with their built-in bias, should know.

And what's of particular interest, relative to this thread, is the dog who did not bark -- none of the four respondents mentioned directional qualities at all.

Bob Ross
04-11-2015, 05:41 AM
I recall a similar thread to this from 6 or 7 years ago on another cycling forum, and someone there claimed that he'd called Continental to find out how important it was to follow the directional indicators on their tires. A Continental employee admitted that it wasn't important at all, and that the only reason they put directional indicators on their tires was because when they didn't the number of inquiries they received asking "does it matter what direction I mount these?" was overwhelming!

SlowPokePete
04-11-2015, 06:47 AM
A Continental employee admitted that it wasn't important at all, and that the only reason they put directional indicators on their tires was because when they didn't the number of inquiries they received asking "does it matter what direction I mount these?" was overwhelming!

Makes perfect sense.

SPP

DHallerman
04-11-2015, 06:52 AM
A Continental employee admitted that it wasn't important at all, and that the only reason they put directional indicators on their tires was because when they didn't the number of inquiries they received...was overwhelming!

Then Veloflex is run by a bunch of optimists, I might say.

The directional arrow on the Corsa tire is so tiny, and in that raised black-on-black rubber text that can be difficult to read even when you're looking for it, that most people would never notice.

If I weren't extremely into details -- actually, I was looking for the inflation range text -- I wouldn't have seen the directional arrow either.

Dave, about to leave for a ride on this sunny if breezy spring Saturday