PDA

View Full Version : Record 11 levers + TRP disc brakes = (insert your thoughts here)

InspectorGadget
04-10-2015, 11:53 AM
I have a decision to make about building up a new road frame with disc brakes and I have the parts to go in two different directions.

Option 1 is Campy Record 11 speed.

Besides breaking up the sanctity of a full Campy component package; is there any reason I couldn't use Record levers with TRP cable actuated disc brake calipers?

Option 2 is Ultegra.

ultraman6970
04-10-2015, 12:19 PM
Those trp have long or short pull?? if are long (like mtb) then the record levers wont work.

ColnagoFan
04-10-2015, 12:22 PM
I have a decision to make about building up a new road frame with disc brakes and I have the parts to go in two different directions.

Option 1 is Campy Record 11 speed.

Besides breaking up the sanctity of a full Campy component package; is there any reason I couldn't use Record levers with TRP cable actuated disc brake calipers?

Option 2 is Ultegra.

Shouldn't be an issue with the road disc TRP model. It would look a bit odd with the Campy thing, but honestly if you like Campy who cares right? I'm sure Campy will have their own disc brake at some point too...but who knows...

binouye
04-10-2015, 12:25 PM
There is an earlier thread (maybe 2) on this forum on using Campy levers with the TRP Hy/Rd discs. Bottom line is that the Hy/Rds were designed for longer cable pull (Shimano, SRam), which makes them finicky to set up well with Campy levers -- for some people it just doesn't work. I use that combo on 2 bikes, but on one it works better than the other for reasons I've not figured out.
Campy levers seem to do better with the mechanical TRP Spyre calipers. My only experience with that combo was trying out somebody else's CX bike that had C10 levers, but I've heard they work OK with 11 speed stuff too. The Spyres seem nicer than the BB7s.

I sure wish Campagnolo would reveal some progress on their disc brakes, which rumors keep saying are a year off.

vqdriver
04-10-2015, 12:32 PM
which calipers?
hy/rd and spyres will set up very differently

thread on the hy/rd here http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=163242&highlight=campagnolo+trp

InspectorGadget
04-10-2015, 01:42 PM
which calipers?
hy/rd and spyres will set up very differently

thread on the hy/rd here http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=163242&highlight=campagnolo+trpThanks for the link, vqdriver. I did search and didn't find what I was looking for, but I didn't try searching for every possible permutation.

I currently have a pair of Spyre calipers that I would use until something better (from Campy) comes along. If I'm reading the comments correctly, it sounds like the Spyre isn't perfect, but they work and are much better than the Hy/Rd. Am I reading that correctly?

kramnnim
04-10-2015, 01:46 PM
Using SR Ergos and Spyre calipers, they work great together.

The cable set screw/pinch bolt destroys the cable, though. Not thrilled with it. (SLC version)

dan682
04-10-2015, 01:48 PM
Thanks for this info, I had the exact same question.

vqdriver
04-10-2015, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the link, vqdriver. I did search and didn't find what I was looking for, but I didn't try searching for every possible permutation.

I currently have a pair of Spyre calipers that I would use until something better (from Campy) comes along. If I'm reading the comments correctly, it sounds like the Spyre isn't perfect, but they work and are much better than the Hy/Rd. Am I reading that correctly?

the hy/rd feel so nice at the lever that it's worth playing with if you have em. if not, i wouldn't buy them if you already have the spyres. it hints at what i think people are talking about with full hydro systems, which is very very nice.

GRAVELBIKE
04-10-2015, 02:40 PM
If you currently have Spyres, make sure you're using compression-free housing and good pads (TRP's stock pads aren't the greatest, IME).

Personally, I prefer a full-hydro system, but I no longer use Campy levers.

InspectorGadget
04-10-2015, 04:18 PM
Personally, I prefer a full-hydro system, but I no longer use Campy levers.I would prefer a full hydraulic brake system as well and that's why I would consider going the Ultegra route. However, I really have a hankering to use the Campy SR/Record components.

GRAVELBIKE
04-10-2015, 04:29 PM
I would prefer a full hydraulic brake system as well and that's why I would consider going the Ultegra route. However, I really have a hankering to use the Campy SR/Record components.

Don't rule out SRAM's hydraulic brakes. I know they're not the house favorites, but they work damn well, and IME, are easier to control.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1039597/torch-and-pitchfork.jpg

thp
04-10-2015, 05:39 PM
10sp Record + Spyres here. There is just enough pull to make it work.
Really bad with a 11sp though.

vqdriver
04-10-2015, 06:49 PM
yes, when i go full hydro, it would be sram. i can't go back to shimano's lighter shift feel, but aside from that, their levers just seem to grow and grow.

mvrider
04-10-2015, 07:50 PM
My LBS installs a lot of Hy/Rd systems, and also installs a lot of Campy. Give them a call:
http://www.velotechcycles.com/contact.htm

oldpotatoe
04-11-2015, 07:05 AM
There is an earlier thread (maybe 2) on this forum on using Campy levers with the TRP Hy/Rd discs. Bottom line is that the Hy/Rds were designed for longer cable pull (Shimano, SRam), which makes them finicky to set up well with Campy levers -- for some people it just doesn't work. I use that combo on 2 bikes, but on one it works better than the other for reasons I've not figured out.
Campy levers seem to do better with the mechanical TRP Spyre calipers. My only experience with that combo was trying out somebody else's CX bike that had C10 levers, but I've heard they work OK with 11 speed stuff too. The Spyres seem nicer than the BB7s.

I sure wish Campagnolo would reveal some progress on their disc brakes, which rumors keep saying are a year off.

There has been a Campagnolo 11s lever(EPS) mated to Formula disc brakes(an Italian company). I suspect it would be pretty easy to make this happen with EPS levers but I think Campagnolo needs to make sure it's going to be in the pro peloton before they throw a lot of Euros at it. Campagnolo mentions all the time they are a race equipment oriented company and unless they are in the 'race'. they are skeptical. BUT it is in development, no doubt about it BUT remember Valentino is the one that got burned with their foray into MTB stuff and first gen click shifting stuff. ..So he is pretty cautious.

kramnnim
04-11-2015, 07:56 AM
10sp Record + Spyres here. There is just enough pull to make it work.
Really bad with a 11sp though.

This confuses me a lot. My rotors do not rub the pads and my 11sp levers do not bottom out. Are you using compressionless housing?

InspectorGadget
04-13-2015, 02:41 PM
This confuses me a lot. My rotors do not rub the pads and my 11sp levers do not bottom out. Are you using compressionless housing?I spoke with TRP today and they told me compressionless housing is definitely the way to go. They also said the HY/RDs do not pair well with Campy 11sp levers, but the wider adjustment range of the Spyres makes them the better choice.