PDA

View Full Version : Recommend an entry level track bike/ frame

Veloo
04-09-2015, 10:03 PM
With the new Milton velodrome open to the public before the PanAm games hit, I'm looking to try out track riding for the first time.
I've heard you can get stuck with a bike that isn't quite your size if you rent one there so I'm starting to look at entry level frames or bikes. Don't care if it's steel or aluminum.
My wrench does All City. Any other brands you guys and gals recommend to start out with?

ultraman6970
04-09-2015, 10:39 PM
If you arent going to race then even a fix gear road bike will work.

As for the size, if your road bike is well sized just pick the same size... the only difference is that the BB is higher, the only country I heard about getting a track bike 2 cm smaller is here in the US, I imagine that is coming from the hipsters that use the bikes in the streets and need to stop, and since they get bikes based in the stand up/top tube/crotch rule, yes if you use that you end up with a bike like 2 cm too small.

As for the road fix gear touching the pedals in the banks and stuff I have way too much track under my ass to tell you that as long as you are pedaling nothing it will happen. And since you are a newbie in the track probably you wont play to "slow camera" to check out how slow you can ride in the track before you slide down the banks :D

Like 80% of the fix gear bikes in the market are road bikes with track drop outs, arent real track frames just in case, so no wonder now why a road bike will work anyways? :p

Good luck and I envy you because of the track :)

ps: 42 degrees banks... nice.. the one in london, ontario is 45 degrees and seen guys going with their road bikes in it.

eBAUMANN
04-09-2015, 10:48 PM
what size might you need? i have a brand new 59cm (57.5 tt) steel pake frame that i would sell for a song, just won't need it.

that said, there are TOO MANY (if you ask me) options out there these days. if you are looking to race, get something alloy (cheap steel is usually a bit on the heavy side of things) but if you are looking to just cruise around, steel is the way to go.

zzy
04-09-2015, 10:52 PM
If the Milton velodrome doesn't have rentals, the Forest City one does. Good way to see if you like racing fixed and what size works for you. I was really happy with my Fuji Track Pro for track racing - you can usually pick one up cheap.

Veloo
04-09-2015, 11:37 PM
I've been to Forest City a couple of times but only as a spectator. It's about 2 hours away. Milton is about 45 min or so away so it's pretty convenient.
I ride a 55 - 56 TT. I'm in no rush so I can shop around. I wasn't able to get onto any of the certification classes so far anyway.

JAllen
04-10-2015, 12:14 AM
Not sure what your budget is, but State makes some pretty decent bikes for under a grand. A little more expensive but, you could look into Leader as well.

http://www.statebicycle.com/

http://www.leaderbikes.com/

FlashUNC
04-10-2015, 12:48 AM
The Fuji is pretty tough to beat. Great bike.

bcroslin
04-10-2015, 06:43 AM
There was a great thread last year on the same subject but I can't seem to find it. My advice is to look for a used Dolan cadet/ precursa or a track champion. There's a bunch on eBay right now. (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l2632.R2.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xdol an+track.TRS0&_nkw=dolan+track&_sacat=7294)

xjahx
04-10-2015, 06:53 AM
Heavy Pedal: built to be identical to the early Cannondale track framesets, Asian made, $649. theheavypedal.com
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0580/5025/products/zephyr-blue-right.jpg

Cinelli Vigorelli and all of their MASH variants.

Bianchi Pista Concept.

State Track Frames for budget 6061.

You cannot go wrong with any of the above, sub $800 aluminum frames for entry level framesets. I have owned them all over the past 10+ years, and at the end of the day, I have a heavy pedal and original Cannondale.

oldpotatoe
04-10-2015, 07:03 AM
Heavy Pedal: built to be identical to the early Cannondale track framesets, Asian made, $649. theheavypedal.com

Bianchi Pista Concept.

You cannot go wrong with any of the above, sub $800 aluminum frames for entry level framesets. I have owned them all over the past 10+ years, and at the end of the day, I have a heavy pedal and original Cannondale.

Good choices also Bareknuckle.

https://www.benscycle.com/p-4715-eai-bare-knuckle-track-frameset-black.aspx?gclid=CKS4oqzY68QCFQqEaQod0FYAzg

bjf
04-10-2015, 08:23 AM
Used Bianchi Super Pista or Dolan Pre Cursa. Both aluminum, both excellent on the track.

AngryScientist
04-10-2015, 08:48 AM
Cinelli

Great aluminum racing frames

djg21
04-10-2015, 09:49 AM
The Fuji is pretty tough to beat. Great bike.

Felt also makes the TK3, which is a competitively priced "entry level" track bike that is well equipped. These can often be had on eBay for well under $1,000.

Echo
04-10-2015, 10:09 AM
Felt also makes the TK3, which is a competitively priced "entry level" track bike that is well equipped. These can often be had on eBay for well under $1,000.

Personally, Id bump myself up to the TK2 instead of the 3. The main difference is that the standard components that come on the TK2 are 1/8in vs the standard road sized stuff coming on the TK3.

Edit: Im also a bit biased as I used to own a TK2. I rode and raced it at Carson for a few years. Was a great bike!

sweet_johnny
04-10-2015, 10:31 AM
Racing track is a very different beast from anything else. Even within track racing there are a lot of different events. Some people love mass starts, some people will only race time trial events.

Give track racing a go on a rental bike a few times before you decide you want to start plopping down big money on track stuff. In my experience, the rental bikes are at least as good as the entry level bike you'd buy anyway.

pdonk
04-10-2015, 10:46 AM
For the most part the rentals are argon18.

I've been a few times and got certified. Unless you are an xl(they only have one borrowed from london) there are usually enough bikes for everyone as only 25 people are on track at a time.

I'm considering a marinoni. Hard to beat 1800 for a complete bike with a good choice of paint.

djg21
04-10-2015, 10:54 AM
Personally, Id bump myself up to the TK2 instead of the 3. The main difference is that the standard components that come on the TK2 are 1/8in vs the standard road sized stuff coming on the TK3.

Edit: Im also a bit biased as I used to own a TK2. I rode and raced it at Carson for a few years. Was a great bike!

agree. Didn't recall Felt made a TK3 until I looked at its website. Thought TK2 was base model. My track days were on an old Cannodale with a superbe track gruppo. That bike cost me under $800 new and was phenomenal. I wish that Suntour was still making track components. I wish I hadn't sold my bike when I moved outside of a driving distance from T-Town.

nooneline
04-10-2015, 11:16 AM
I would recommend a basic, performance-oriented aluminum frame with a carbon fork. Tons of companies make good ones. Almost everybody. I've ridden Felt and Specialized extensively, and wouldn't hesitate to race (among others) Fuji, Raleigh, Dolan, Hoy, Bianchi, and many others.

For track racing, most of these come pretty dern cheap - well under $2k new, and often under $1k used.

Too many of them come with deep drop sprint bars, which few people need - I would replace them with whatever road bars you find comfortable.

Make sure you have a crank with a 144mm bcd - so that you can borrow chainrings as you need to from others, and so that you can buy decent chainrings. You'll probably want a few options - look at ebay. Tons of cheap decent stuff.

carpediemracing
04-10-2015, 12:06 PM
I used a frame I bought way back for $90 when I did much of the 2009 season on a not-very-sophisticated track (one scratch race here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSRsauBHAQA), and with a pursuit later that evening some guys had bigger gears on their bikes). I also raced that same bike at T-Town and it didn't hold me back (qualified for the mixed Cat 3-4 race at the end of the night due to a top 3 in one of the 3 or so Cat 4 events I did earlier, then got 4th in that moderately crowded 3-4 race).

If I fit I'd probably get a Felt, Giant, Jamis, one of those with a real track geometry. Look for short stays, higher BB. A shorter track (the one I raced on was 318m or something in that range) would probably be better on a shorter stay bike.

There are some fixed gear bikes out there with a 40-41 cm stay. That's closer to road geometry. 39 or whatever is closer to track. For me I notice the shorter stay when out of the saddle. Front end I'm not so educated on.

You'll want a bunch of rings and a couple cogs. In 2009 I got 48-49-50-51t rings, 14-15-16T cogs. Only really used the 51x15 since I didn't feel much like changing stuff and I couldn't get enough speed in a smaller gear (shelled immediately in a 49x15). 51x15 is a bit big but more aligned with my road legs.

Speaking as a very inexperienced track racer.

brando
04-10-2015, 12:39 PM
Heavy Pedal: built to be identical to the early Cannondale track framesets, Asian made, $649.

at the end of the day, I have a heavy pedal and original Cannondale.

How does the heavy pedal compare to the cannondale? I had a cannondale and it was good but didn't think it lived up to the hype.

EDIT: Based on the posted geometries, the heavy pedal doesn't seem to be similar to the cannondale at all. How does it ride?

bcroslin
04-10-2015, 12:58 PM

Bianchi Pista Concept.

No way. For real? Same as the cannondale?

JAllen
04-10-2015, 01:30 PM
Yeah it's a replica, you could say. Not everyone is happy about that... some feel like it's some sort of rip off.

xjahx
04-10-2015, 01:46 PM

Per above, yes, imitation / flattery... Built to identical specs from tubing to double pass welds to geo (? My mistake if not identical, but that was my understanding). Personally, the early Cannondale track was a great but now unobtainable frameset. Cannondale has long moved on. Hipsters have moved in pushing 56c frames with flat barsand NJS hubs and cranks to $1500-2k.

Heavy Pedal added their paint flare and did us a favor by recreating an unavailable legend. I am pleased.

I think this recreation is much different than taking a current part, shipping to Asia, reverse engineering, and producing "your" copy.

brando
04-10-2015, 01:49 PM
Built to identical specs from tubing to double pass welds to geo.

Geo ≠ cannondale

monkeypants
04-10-2015, 11:27 PM
I'll echo a couple of the other earlier replies. I'd try out the rental bikes first before buying. As mentioned, the rental bikes are almost all Argon 18 track bikes. They seem on par with (perhaps better than) any other entry level track bike out there.

I got certified for Mattamy recently but I was on a waiting list for nearly 5 months before getting in. I heard they're booked pretty tight since they're closing for a few months starting in May for the Pan-Am games.

Black Dog
04-11-2015, 07:18 AM
I'll echo a couple of the other earlier replies. I'd try out the rental bikes first before buying. As mentioned, the rental bikes are almost all Argon 18 track bikes. They seem on par with (perhaps better than) any other entry level track bike out there.

I got certified for Mattamy recently but I was on a waiting list for nearly 5 months before getting in. I heard they're booked pretty tight since they're closing for a few months starting in May for the Pan-Am games.

True. They are booked beyond tight. Get on the waiting list and get comfy, it will be a while. I live 20km from the velodrome and it is very nice but impossible to get access. The initial fad will wear off and spots will open up by next year.

pdonk
04-11-2015, 07:58 AM
Guess I was really lucky, got certified quickly and am starting a 4 week course next week. I'll let you know what it is like.

For bike I'll be switching between a buddy's bike and rental. Once i decide if I like it enough, an order will be made for a bike.

Veloo
04-11-2015, 10:23 AM
Yeah, I've got time. With spring here(?), I'd prefer to be out than in. I should double check to see if I'm still on a wait list for the A and B cert.

I see some frames with set screws on the drop-outs. Do you guys recommend that?

bcroslin
04-11-2015, 10:47 AM
Very jealous of you guys with a velodrome in your back yard. The only track in FL is near Ft Lauderdale and 4 hours away from me.