PDA

View Full Version : Selling via Cragslist

campy man
04-09-2015, 04:46 PM
Is it reasonable to sell a frame via Craigslist and not want to meet the buyer at your home?

I'm selling a frame locally via Craigslist and had a few hits from people wanting to stop by and look at the frame. With all the chatter about stolen bikes I'm reluctant to invite someone over and have them looking around my garage at my other bikes.

I'm offering to meet at my local library down the street and show the frame. It probably sounds suspicious to the buyer.

Funny thing, 5-10yrs ago I wouldn't hesitate to invite a potential buyer over to my home.

grawk
04-09-2015, 04:48 PM
That's exactly how I do my transactions on craigslist. Meet at a public place to do the deal.

yngpunk
04-09-2015, 04:52 PM
NPR recently did a story about how the Hartford, CT police department encourages people to conduct their transactions in their parking lot:

http://www.npr.org/2015/03/27/395586863/police-departments-open-up-safe-lots-for-craigslist-transactions

slidey
04-09-2015, 04:53 PM
I'm offering to meet at my local library down the street and show the frame.

Only way I'd do it.

This is as far as I can tell, the norm, so I don't think anyone would think you to be sneaky.

aramis
04-09-2015, 04:58 PM
Only way I'd do it.

This is as far as I can tell, the norm, so I don't think anyone would think you to be sneaky.

Yeah I often meet people at the coffee shop down the street from me. Makes it easier for them to find too.

vqdriver
04-09-2015, 04:58 PM
i think that's the recommended way. i actually work right next to a police station and meet all my buyers there. police recommend it, and there's a duty officer 24 hours a day. i rarely even go to sellers' homes.

it's going to depend on where you live and your comfort level with the buyer. phone conversations can go a long way towards giving you a read on a person, which is important for those things you can't just toss in the back of your car. people sell treadmills and game consoles all the time on cl. not only is it pain to move the treadmill, but gaming console buyers want to see the thing turn on and verify that it works. you can't always do it without risk of danger or robbery, but then that's what ebay is for.

eBAUMANN
04-09-2015, 04:59 PM
depends who the person is, usually pretty easy to sort out the sketchy dudes from the legitimate just based on a couple emails or a phone call.

for example, here in boston, maybe about 9 times outta 10 any time i have sold something on CL the buyer has been a friend of a friend. hell i think i even met "vav" on here originally through a CL deal!

I guess it also depends what you are selling, as a beat up old mtb for cheap will attract a much different crowd than a fancy carbon frameset.

but yea, when in doubt, anywhere public is a good idea.

enr1co
04-09-2015, 04:59 PM
When arranging a meet time/place, I typically write:

"For convenience and security of both parties, lets meet at (enter a public place and add web link as needed) at (time)."

giverdada
04-09-2015, 05:01 PM
it's so weird.

sometimes i've met really nice and good people over craigslist transactions, the folks i'd end up just talking with for hours about bikes or cameras or whatever. other times i couldn't get them the eff off my porch soon enough. hard to tell, but usually a handshake and a look in the eye tells me whether they're coming past the porch step. porches are already too close sometimes, so i too have taken to meeting folks at the subway or whatever. craigslist is pretty random, but i do like working with folks who are in the area, and there's the immediacy of money for thing instead of shipping and yadda yadda.

yngpunk
04-09-2015, 05:06 PM
it's so weird.

sometimes i've met really nice and good people over craigslist transactions, the folks i'd end up just talking with for hours about bikes or cameras or whatever. other times i couldn't get them the eff off my porch soon enough. hard to tell, but usually a handshake and a look in the eye tells me whether they're coming past the porch step. porches are already too close sometimes, so i too have taken to meeting folks at the subway or whatever. craigslist is pretty random, but i do like working with folks who are in the area, and there's the immediacy of money for thing instead of shipping and yadda yadda.

I once met someone at his storage locker to buy a weight bench, and ended up getting a couple of cases of wine thrown in for free. Turned out he was a rep/distributor for a winery...and seeing the wine got us talking...

adampaiva
04-09-2015, 05:06 PM
I met my ex whom I then dated for two years when I sold her concert tickets via craigslist. That was the best CL transaction ever. Well, until two years later.

I don't think it's shady. If it was something like a stereo I would be a little offput as a buyer if that meant it was difficult or impossible to then thoroughly inspect or test out whatever it is I was buying. But for a bike frame, as long as you're not meeting outside in the dark - seems fine.

4Rings6Stars
04-09-2015, 05:15 PM
When I lived in the city, I probably had 100 or so bike related craigslist transactions. 99% of them on my door step or the seller's. I have been raped / murdered / robbed precisely zero times. I've even invited people in to check out my other bikes, have a glass of water, use the restroom, etc...

That being said... Now that I live in the burbs with a baby in the house, I probably would be more apt to want to meet at a public place.

kevinvc
04-09-2015, 05:19 PM
I have never sold anything on Craigslist from my house. I always meet at a well lit public place. When selling tickets, the local sports bar works well and almost always ends with buying each other a round or two.

I once bought a Showers Pass jacket from a Craigslist ad. The guy wanted to meet at his house since he said he had a short time window between finishing a ride and having to go to work. He walked me to the storage shed in his backyard where the jacket was and opened the door to reveal tens of thousands of dollars worth of bikes, parts and tools (found out both he and his wife are serious riders). I was completely floored that he would be so trusting to a total stranger.

I almost mentioned something to him along the lines of it probably not being a good idea to show random people all his stuff but decided against it. I figured it sounded a little too much like "nice place you've got here, it'd be a shame if anything bad should happen to it." The thought also crossed my mind that if he ever had a break-in, which is an all too common occurrence in his neighborhood, I would look awfully suspicious. In the end I bought the jacket and held my tongue, but I still can't believe what an overly naive / clue-less act that was on his part.

eddief
04-09-2015, 05:20 PM
if they were here to do so.

usually pretty easy to sort out the sketchy dudes from the legitimate just based on a couple emails or a phone call.

John H.
04-09-2015, 05:21 PM
I try to never meet someone at my home- the only exception I ever made was someone who could only meet me in the evening after work.
Even then, I met him at my porch and showed him the bike outside- never got a look at my garage.
Sounds like you are new to craigslist.
It is important that you set the terms.
Don't even answer lowballers or obvious scammers.
Don't let them talk you down before they even come.
Trade in cash only.
Don't fall for the "I only have $200" (and they pull out $200)- when you are asking $250. They have another $50 somewhere else.
People are not in the habit of driving all the way over and not buying the item.

brando
04-09-2015, 05:23 PM
I used to meet people at my garage but never do now. Too many friends have had their garages broken-into and bikes stolen. I don't think any of my friends' break-ins are connected to cl but it only takes one mistake. For high dollar sales, I've actually met at the bank so there's no chance of getting jacked by an accomplice for the cash after the "buyer" takes the bike. Haven't heard of that happening but it seems like the perfect crime.

pdmtong
04-09-2015, 05:30 PM
It's not unreasonable to meet in a public place.

About the only thing I would sell on CL these days is a frame or complete bike. For the small stuff, I either give it away or sell it here. Faster. Easier. Safer.

15 years ago I would have folks come over, Garage door up, stuff in full view. In the last ten years the incidence of petty theft has increased and some is certainly attributed to opportunistic crime. So no more of that.

Now we either meet at the local store (daytime/well lit public spot) or on my driveway, with the door closed (the latter when I sold my wife's mtb to a young couple).

Every case is different. you can tell by the email exchange and phone conversation what path to take for a given transaction. Use your spider sense.

FYI note when you set up the meeting place, make the location and the time convenient for you. They want the item, they can drive to you. I learned that a long time ago meeting a guy an hour away who looked at all my stuff, yapped for 45 minutes, and the drove off. waste of time. no sale made.

sweet_johnny
04-09-2015, 05:35 PM
I've done craigslist transactions both at my home and in public spaces. I've never had any bad experiences. That being said, I also live in a condo with a locked outside door and cameras, so it'd be a little more tricky for someone to break in.

If you feel more comfortable in a public space, do that. In my experience, the buyer usually is appreciative that you're at least meeting them in a place that's closer to them than your house. Also, if they're driving out there, they're probably more inclined to actually buy the frame.

Cicli
04-09-2015, 05:43 PM
I always offer to meet half way. Then I meet them at a Starbucks around the corner from my house. :banana:
Only one guy caught on. He drove 40 miles. I walked.

brando
04-09-2015, 05:44 PM
Spider sense and a sense of patience.

The right buyer is a godsend. They're to the point, show up on time, and can't wait to hand you the full asking amount, with a smile and a thank you for agreeing to sell your awesome stuff.

Very satisfying to ignore the lowballers and flakes knowing that "good guy" is out there. with cl accounts, it couldn't be easier to relist.

JAllen
04-09-2015, 05:58 PM
Yeah I tend to not meet at my house. Although, something probably won't happen, I would still prefer a public space.

John H.
04-09-2015, 05:59 PM
I remember a guy coming to meet me- all of his indications told me he was coming from nearby.
Turns out he drove almost 3 hours.
Would have been cheaper to ship it to him.

Fortunately I live in a good "ride destination" type area so people can combine a bike ride with a purchase if they plan it- and many already come here so they are familiar with the area.

I always offer to meet half way. Then I meet them at a Starbucks around the corner from my house. :banana:
Only one guy caught on. He drove 40 miles. I walked.

Cornfed
04-09-2015, 05:59 PM
Starbucks are plentiful, easy to find, and popular (read: lots of people, including police). And if the buyer or seller doesn't show -- happens a lot -- you can at least get a coffee and read the paper.

Cicli
04-09-2015, 06:03 PM
Starbucks are plentiful, easy to find, and popular (read: lots of people, including police). And if the buyer or seller doesn't show -- happens a lot -- you can at least get a coffee and read the paper.

Why I shoot for a place 5 minutes away.

45K10
04-09-2015, 06:29 PM
I've done it both ways depending on what I'm selling. Almost all of my cycling transactions have been great, baby stuff on the other hand, All kinds of freaks having babies out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shovelhd
04-09-2015, 06:38 PM
I sold a dining room table to a new mother out of my garage. There's nothing of value in the garage. Everything else I sell out of the supermarket parking lot down the road. There's a bank across the street that also has cameras.

Peter P.
04-09-2015, 06:47 PM
I've had my 2 introductory Craigslist transactions in the past 6 weeks.

With the first, we met at his local police department. Even though it was dark, I felt very safe.

With the second purchase, I was more concerned because the ad was slightly suspicious. I then thought of ways to protect myself beyond those suggested by Craigslist, and these methods could apply to buyers and sellers.

Have a friend or family member present.

Carry personal protection such as mace or even the presence of your pet dog if they're good security.

Carry a camera, to photograph the other party or their vehicle should they try to flee.

Mark your dollar bills so they can later be identified should you get robbed.

I realize these tips are mostly from a buyer's perspective, but they could help sellers too.

rePhil
04-09-2015, 06:57 PM
I don't include any contact info when selling on Craigslist. I tell them to respond to the add with a phone number and I call back. I even use my pay as you go phone to call so my address can't be traced back through caller ID.
Other than the local PD, my last few sales have been in a Lowe's parking lot.

Most times you can get a "feel" for the buyer. One guy danced all around the fact that I insisted meeting at the Police Dept, and ultimately refused.

christian
04-09-2015, 07:01 PM
I usually meet people at a Mobil station at an easy to find intersection near my house.

That said... thinking back, when I sold rbtmcrdle my Hampsten, he came over to my house... but then when I bought it back, he made me meet him at the train station in Scarsdale. OMG, am I that sketchy? :confused:

oldpotatoe
04-10-2015, 07:08 AM
Is it reasonable to sell a frame via Craigslist and not want to meet the buyer at your home?

I'm selling a frame locally via Craigslist and had a few hits from people wanting to stop by and look at the frame. With all the chatter about stolen bikes I'm reluctant to invite someone over and have them looking around my garage at my other bikes.

I'm offering to meet at my local library down the street and show the frame. It probably sounds suspicious to the buyer.

Funny thing, 5-10yrs ago I wouldn't hesitate to invite a potential buyer over to my home.

NOT unreasonable at all. I have sold a few things on CL and always meet at a neutral place. I found a cell phone while riding the other day(had a keen app that rang with a phone number..lost phone app)..he wanted to 'come over to get it', I told him I'd come over to his house or at a local starbucks..

Bought a Campagnolo toolkit in a SB parking lot also..felt like I was doing a drug deal but nobody's house, thanks.

commonguy001
04-10-2015, 07:47 AM
I like meeting at Starbucks but I've also had people meet me at my work parking lot. Never had an issue but my jackass radar is pretty good and I've bailed a number of times because it didn't feel right.

Also sold stuff from my house but it's been a while as in years and don't think I'd do it now.

04-10-2015, 08:27 AM
I sell on CL fairly often. I always arrange to meet the buyer in front of my building- on the sidewalk.

Also, always set prices that are divisible by $20 because that's what most ATMs spit out. Otherwise they will try to short you $10, or show up late because they are tying to break the $20 before they get there.

rugbysecondrow
04-10-2015, 08:34 AM
People have been robbed or killed in public places from CL ads too, so I don't sweat it. I don't let people in my house, I meet them at the drive or in the street and give them the goods. Often times I am giving away stuff (free) and I just want it gone. I have had people ask me to meet them someplace and, frankly, it is often not worth my time.

If it were a high dollar item, I might think about meeting elsewhere, but for the $15 coffee maker, $45 table or FREE couch, they come to the house.

Cheers