PDA

View Full Version : Campy/Shimano - how many have switched?

gone
04-16-2006, 04:19 PM
A riding buddy of mine has several bikes, all outfitted with campy record. I have several bikes, all outfitted with shimano dura ace. Naturally, we both give each other a hard time about each others choice of gruppo. We were talking about it a few days ago and I postulated that for most people, their choice of gruppo is whatever was on the first good bike they bought when they got serious about cycling. In my case, shimano on a Trek. In his, campy on a colnago. After that, you're familiar with the shifting, have tools/cassettes/etc for your particular gruppo and tend to stay with it.

I'm curious whether or not this is the norm or are there folks out there who've ridden a significant amount of time on one gruppo then switched?

catulle
04-16-2006, 04:23 PM
If I ever had a tatoo, it'd read: Campagnolo. Ask Angelina Jolie, atmo iirc. :beer:

gone
04-16-2006, 04:25 PM
If I ever had a tatoo, it'd read: Campagnolo.

Yes, but would you have to rub out a shimano tattoo to have it put on? :)

Grant McLean
04-16-2006, 04:27 PM
I rode Dura-Ace (EX) in the early 80's,
went to Mavic SCC in the mid 80's,
Back to Dura-Ace (7400) in the late 80's
Then to Dura-Ace (7700) in the mid 90's
until around 2001 when I switched to Campy.

I haven't really spent any time on Dura Ace bikes
since switching, I love the Record lever shape.
About a week ago I rode a Cervelo R3 with dura ace 7800
for a couple of days, and absolutely hated the hoods.
I don't think I can ever go back. Even the 7700 levers
don't do it for me, the 7400 SLR levers are fine, but
not the STI.

-g

gone
04-16-2006, 04:30 PM
I haven't really spent any time on Dura Ace bikes
since switching, I love the Record lever shape.
About a week ago I rode a Cervelo R3 with dura ace 7800
for a couple of days, and absolutely hated the hoods.

-g

As others have noted, this is what it comes down to for most people: how the hoods fit your hands. I've ridden 7-800 miles on campy and the hoods don't feel as comfy to me. I think this is almost as individual a preference as saddles though there are far fewer choices.

catulle
04-16-2006, 04:32 PM
Yes, but would you have to rub out a shimano tattoo to have it put on? :)

No, I've never owned a single Shimano bicycle part. I think the Shimano hoods are comfortable but they make the most beautiful bicycle look mp. I'm too old to switch now. I just hope Campagnolo won't go broke or something; not until after I die, anyway.

Grant McLean
04-16-2006, 04:37 PM
As others have noted, this is what it comes down to for most people: how the hoods fit your hands. I've ridden 7-800 miles on campy and the hoods don't feel as comfy to me. I think this is almost as individual a preference as saddles though there are far fewer choices.

When I was a shiman-o-phile, I never thought the hood shape
was an issue. I hated the pre-98 campy hoods more than the
shimano levers, so the choice seemed obvious. When I tried
the "new" campy levers around 2000, it just clicked for me.

-g

slowgoing
04-16-2006, 04:46 PM
I used to only use Campy. But then prices went up and I found a good deal on a Shimano group. Now I use Campy and Shimano on different bikes. I couldn't really care less which group is on any particular bike - no preference anymore.

Dave
04-16-2006, 05:07 PM
I rode shimano until 1995, since it comes on 99% of prebuilt bikes. When I bought a Tommasini frame in 1995, I switched to Campy and never looked back. Absolutely no regrets, well into my 7th season with a 10 speed drivetrain.

cydewaze
04-16-2006, 05:41 PM
We were talking about it a few days ago and I postulated that for most people, their choice of gruppo is whatever was on the first good bike they bought when they got serious about cycling. After that, you're familiar with the shifting, have tools/cassettes/etc for your particular gruppo and tend to stay with it.
Bingo. I was going to outfit my wife's new bike with Campy (she has small hands) but 1) there were no Campy bikes around in her size for her to try it out, and 2) all the tools/spare wheels/etc are Shimano, so I was worried about a Campy switch.

I guess I'm a bit mired in Shimano. :(

Big Dan
04-16-2006, 05:53 PM
Switched from Campagnolo 8 to Shimano 9 and never looked back...Glad I did..

BTW Campagnolo black carbon levers on a bike with chrome is MP...... :D

mwos
04-16-2006, 05:58 PM
I had Shimano 105 on my 1995 Cannondale. I switched to Campy shifters because my LBS said Campy was more comfortable for small hands. My Aegis has 02 Campy Record. For my new Ottrott I considered Shimano but hate the levers and hoods so Campy Record it is.

Cyclewaze, Shimano markets the short reach levers for short fingers not small hands. All they did is put a shim in the lever so short fingers can reach the brakes from the hoods, IMHO, the hoods are awful for small hands.

Check out Team Estrogen.com. It's a woman's forum and there's lots to say about the topic.

Kathi

Korn Julio
04-16-2006, 06:15 PM
Over the past 20 years I've owned bikes with various versions of Shimano 105, Sante, Ultegra, Dura Ace, Deore, Deore XT and maybe throw in some Suntour stuff, but NEVER had a bike with Campagnolo......until last week. Check out my CDA 2.0 newly outfitted with Campy Record:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=16569

I have about 90 miles on this new setup and let me tell you -- I'M HOOKED! The mechanical quality of Record is superb. I'm finally getting used to the new shifting style, and less cable clutter is an added plus.
My CSi will probably get the Chorus treatment by the end of the year. :banana:

znfdl
04-16-2006, 06:16 PM
why discriminate, I use both.

Sandy
04-16-2006, 06:25 PM
I don't understand this thread. Is this just another trick question? Switched form one gruppo to another???? Isn't there only one?? :rolleyes:

S
H
I
M
A
N
O
!

:banana: SHIMANO Serotta Sandy :banana:

Too Tall
04-16-2006, 06:47 PM
Huh?

Is there a question here?

catulle
04-16-2006, 06:53 PM
S
H
I
M
A
N
O
!

:banana: SHIMANO Serotta Sandy :banana:

Is that trickling down to nothingness? Is this an existential question?

Tailwinds
04-16-2006, 07:05 PM
I started out w/Shimano on my first roadbike, and it happened to come on my second bike that I bought used. Then, I ordered Campy Record for my 3rd bike b/c I wanted a 29-tooth cog and liked the clean lines without all the cables sticking out on the front. Both function just fine. Aesthetically speaking, I think the new D-A cranks only look ok on certain bikes. Campy looks great on all bikes. :D :fight:

cydewaze
04-16-2006, 07:20 PM
Cyclewaze, Shimano markets the short reach levers for short fingers not small hands. All they did is put a shim in the lever so short fingers can reach the brakes from the hoods, IMHO, the hoods are awful for small hands.
Yep, that's what the test-ride bike at the LBS had, and it's also what I ordered for my wife's bike. Here's a pic of the test-ride bike, btw:

http://spokes.cydewaze.org/photos/fierte.jpg

We'd have bought that one, but we really wanted the carbon stays. I've seen teamestrogen. I'll probably be ordering my wife some clothing from there.

@korn julio: That's an awesome bike!

Orin
04-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Switched - yes. Shimano to Campy when a shifter broke and wasn't fixable.

Rode today... both... on the same bike!

Campy Centaur shifters, Shimano XT derailleur, chain and cassette. Jtek Shiftmate doing the conversion. Works really well. This is the tandem setup BTW.

Orin.

shaq-d
04-16-2006, 07:38 PM
i've switched... back and forth that is! they're both good...

sd

Grant McLean
04-16-2006, 08:46 PM
i've switched... back and forth that is! they're both good...

sd

I must be getting old or something. I find it really hard to go back and forth
between STI and ERGO. The little trigger on the shimano to upshift is
in the same position as the down shift trigger on Campy, so everytime
I shift the wrong way on the shimano.

No problem going between thumbshifters on the mtb and rapidfire,
but the STI thing as me caught in a stymie.

-g

bironi
04-16-2006, 08:51 PM
Campy on my first Bianchi, Shimano on a couple rain bikes, Mavic groupo upgrade on the Bianchi, Campy since, currently on four bikes. I have other reasons, but mainly I think the Shimano hoods are buttt ugly.

shaq-d
04-16-2006, 08:54 PM
I must be getting old or something. I find it really hard to go back and forth
between STI and ERGO. The little trigger on the shimano to upshift is
in the same position as the down shift trigger on Campy, so everytime
I shift the wrong way on the shimano.

No problem going between thumbshifters on the mtb and rapidfire,
but the STI thing as me caught in a stymie.

-g

interesting. i guess for me when i get on the shimano bike, i just enter a new world of shifting..i don't quite use the same physical concepts.. but u probably just use the campy bikes a lot moer? i know when i'm commuting a lot on my downtube bike, i find msyelf reaching for the downtube even when i go back on the roadies..

or u coudl be getting old ;)

or something

sd

Grant McLean
04-16-2006, 09:01 PM
interesting. i guess for me when i get on the shimano bike, i just enter a new world of shifting..i don't quite use the same physical concepts.. but u probably just use the campy bikes a lot moer? i know when i'm commuting a lot on my downtube bike, i find msyelf reaching for the downtube even when i go back on the roadies..
or u coudl be getting old ;)
or something
sd

Yes, it's likely becuase i've been riding the Ergo most of the time.
I did that phantom DT grab the other day... I laughed out loud at myself.
Classic.

-g

Brons2
04-16-2006, 09:03 PM
Both my road bikes came with components on them already, my Cannondale has Ultegra 6500, and the Rivendell has Record bits. I use bar-ends with the Record stuff and really like it. I think it shifts a lot more smoother and reliably than the Ultegra STI.

As for the brake hoods, I use Tektro R200A levers and RX40 brakes on the Rivendell, which I ride 99% of the time. So as far as braking system goes, neither!! This stuff is lighter and a whole lot cheaper than either Campy or Shimano. Although...I must say as far as hood shape goes, the Tektro is a copy of the recent Campy stuff and I like it.

Fixed
04-16-2006, 09:06 PM
Yes, it's likely becuase i've been riding the Ergo most of the time.
I did that phantom DT grab the other day... I laughed out loud at myself.
Classic.

-g
bro i do that too just reach for water so you don't look weird .imho
cheers

itsalldark
04-16-2006, 09:07 PM
Campy Record! The hoods just feel so much better and the Shimano stuff looks so big and bulky----and whats with the cables hanging out in front like they are an after thought. I rode some bikes this weekend at Alberto's Cycles that were equiped with the new Force shifters from Sram---one lever to break and one lever to shift. Double tap----very, very nice. The shifters have a great ergo design and they feel great Available late 06.

Rover-Rich
04-16-2006, 09:09 PM
Switched - yes. Shimano to Campy when a shifter broke and wasn't fixable.

Rode today... both... on the same bike!

Campy Centaur shifters, Shimano XT derailleur, chain and cassette. Jtek Shiftmate doing the conversion. Works really well. This is the tandem setup BTW.

Orin.

Orin, I plan on a similar setup. I really want to clean up the front end of the bike so I'm gonna use ergo levers and everthing else DA. Since all my wheels are Shimano, it will either be American Classic conversion cassettes, Jtek or just give it a try. I know that Ergott runs Campy FD, RD with DA cranks, cassettes and hubs-- supposedly works fine for him.

Grant McLean
04-16-2006, 09:16 PM
bro i do that too just reach for water so you don't look weird .imho
cheers

good advise bro.
But it's a dead giveaway if you look around
to see if anyone saw you!

-g

mwos
04-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Is your wife comfortable with Shimano?

Nice bike, a friend of mine, who's a real rookie, rode a Fierte Ti w/ Campy Veloce she loved it but her husband, well, that's another story!

Yep, that's what the test-ride bike at the LBS had, and it's also what I ordered for my wife's bike. Here's a pic of the test-ride bike, btw:

http://spokes.cydewaze.org/photos/fierte.jpg

We'd have bought that one, but we really wanted the carbon stays. I've seen teamestrogen. I'll probably be ordering my wife some clothing from there.

@korn julio: That's an awesome bike!

cydewaze
04-16-2006, 09:42 PM
Is your wife comfortable with Shimano?
So far she is, as long as she can reach the levers. She's been using Tiagra with the shims to bring the levers in, and so far so good.

The problem with Campy is that there was no bike at the LBS for her to try. And I don't feel right going into another bike shop and saying, "can we test-ride that campy bike?" knowing we're not going to buy anything there.

The test-bike came with the short-reach levers, and she liked those. But she's not great at adjusting to new things, and I didn't want to cross my fingers and order a campy bike without at least a test-ride.

andy mac
04-16-2006, 10:20 PM
to all the fashionistas saying they don't like the look of this, or, that looks like crap, please post a photo of your wedding outfit, your car, bathroom and Teva collection.

terry b
04-16-2006, 10:35 PM
I rode Shimano exclusively until one day I decided to try Campy and bought a Chorus bike.

Now, I'd never consider building another Shimano bike unless Campy went out of business. I prefer Campy to that degree.

I doubt I'll ever take the Shimano off the 3 bikes I have that sport it, but nothing new will wear it.

bshell
04-16-2006, 11:47 PM
I rode Dura-Ace 8 speed sti from '92 to '02 because it came on my bike. It worked fine but when I built up my next ride I switched to Record 10 and I second the statement that I would never go back to Shimano unless Campy folded. Shimano looks like caca.

Brons2
04-16-2006, 11:48 PM
Shimano shifts like caca.

Fixed your post :D

Orin
04-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Orin, I plan on a similar setup. I really want to clean up the front end of the bike so I'm gonna use ergo levers and everthing else DA. Since all my wheels are Shimano, it will either be American Classic conversion cassettes, Jtek or just give it a try. I know that Ergott runs Campy FD, RD with DA cranks, cassettes and hubs-- supposedly works fine for him.

You will need the Jtek to mix Campy shifters with Shimano rear derailleurs. You can get away with Simano cassettes and Campy derailleurs/shifters...

When I tried Campy 9 speed shifters, Shimano derailleurs and 9 speed cassette, about every other gear sort of worked with a lot of noise (tried while waiting for Jtek to arrive).

Orin.

dgauthier
04-17-2006, 12:46 PM
(. . . ) I postulated that for most people, their choice of gruppo is whatever was on the first good bike they bought when they got serious about cycling.

Not for me. When I went shopping for a "serious bike" as a "serious cycling" newbie, it was immediately clear to me that Campagnolo was superior. However, Record, Chorus or Centaur required more coin than I felt was warranted given my lack of experience and skill. So, I opted for an "off the shelf" complete bike with an Ultegra triple.

When I eventually buy a new bike, that bike will be outfitted with a nice Record/Chorus mix. I have zero interest in Dura-Ace.

andy mac
04-17-2006, 12:51 PM
Not for me. When I went shopping for a "serious bike" as a "serious cycling" newbie, it was immediately clear to me that Campagnolo was superior. However, Record, Chorus or Centaur required more coin than I felt was warranted given my lack of experience and skill. So, I opted for an "off the shelf" complete bike with an Ultegra triple.

When I eventually buy a new bike, that bike will be outfitted with a nice Record/Chorus mix. I have zero interest in Dura-Ace.

good enough to win the last 7 TDF's >>> good enough for an old, desk jockey, probably overweight, newbie's arse.

:beer:

gary135r
04-17-2006, 12:58 PM
If I ever had a tatoo, it'd read: Campagnolo. Ask Angelina Jolie, atmo iirc. :beer:
If i ever had a tattoo it would spell "Mom" the only you know for sure you won't regret 10 years from now

dgauthier
04-17-2006, 01:07 PM
good enough to win the last 7 TDF's >>> good enough for an old, desk jockey, probably overweight, newbie's arse.

You forgot discriminating and rich. Oh, and I'm not overweight anymore.

Serotta PETE
04-17-2006, 01:14 PM
:beer: Is your wife comfortable with Shimano?

Nice bike, a friend of mine, who's a real rookie, rode a Fierte Ti w/ Campy Veloce she loved it but her husband, well, that's another story!

Are you going share the "husband" story or the Fierti story with us over wine at SMILEY's

(Flydhest hopefully has a full cellar)

:bike: :beer:

mwos
04-17-2006, 02:22 PM

Are you going share the "husband" story or the Fierti story with us over wine at SMILEY's

(Flydhest hopefully has a full cellar)

:bike: :beer:

Next year, I don't think the husband saga is over with yet. I think it'll be a while before it all plays out. :D

manet
04-17-2006, 03:06 PM
If i ever had a tattoo it would spell "Mom" the only you know for sure you won't regret 10 years from now

if they charge per letter, 'mom' would be cheaper than 'jocasta'

67-59
04-17-2006, 04:10 PM
My previous bike was Shimano (Ultegra 9). When I got my Kirk last year, I decided to go with Campy (Record 10). No real objections to the Shimano -- just wanted to try something different.

So which do I prefer? For aesthetics, I'd go with the Campy. For pure shifting performance, I'd go with the Shimano. The narcissist says "go with the Campy." The budget-minded me says "go with the Shimano."

There -- does that clarify everything?

Seriously, if I got a new bike (or gruppo) today, I'd probably go back to the Shimano, and get the Dura Ace. I like the Campy stuff, and am certainly not in the market to go back. But I'm not convinced it's worth the extra $$$ you pay for Campy.

bluesea
04-17-2006, 04:16 PM
if they charge per letter, 'mom' would be cheaper than 'jocasta'

ahhh...

William
04-17-2006, 04:43 PM
Been riding and racing Shimano DA since the early 90's. It's always served me fine. Last year AR was nice enough to bring his Record equiped Ti Legend over to my place to take for a test run. I set her up for my humungousness and hit the road to put her through the paces. Even after the 20 mile mark.....I couldn't stand those little girlie hand shifters (I still love you AR, and your Ti Legend too :D ). My meat hooks just couldn't get comfortable. I didn't care for the way it shifted either. Hold the lever and the chain moved multiple gears. To easy to jump gears....overshoot is a better term. I've always like the pricise shift of the DA. Hit the lever in the heat of it...BANG, BANG, BANG, you know exactly where it's going. Maybe it's just that sprinter mentality still floating around in my noggin? It's DA for me baby. :cool:

Yes, I'm sure I could get used to the Campy, but they would have to come out with MAN'S sized shifter. ;)

William ;) ;) :beer: :D

Big Dan
04-17-2006, 04:52 PM
You forgot discriminating and rich. Oh, and I'm not overweight anymore.

I guess that makes you an expert........... :crap:

bshell
04-17-2006, 05:01 PM
I mentioned before that I'm not fond of the Dura Ace aesthetics (cranks, shifters, cable routing) and that my 8spd sti shifted great but I wanted to add that based on shift lever location -if I were racing- I'd race Shimano and not Campy.

I do a lot of riding but it is competitive only within my own head and legs, so the ability to upshift in the middle of a cross eyed sprint is not important to me now. I think the thumb button placement of Campy upshifts is a tad awkward. Clearly the pro peloton has managed to overcome this hurdle but I was just wondering if anyone else that had experienced both felt this way? I'll have no need to buy SRAM's new group but it will be interesting to see how it works in the real world.

dgauthier
04-17-2006, 07:33 PM
I guess that makes you an expert........... :crap:

No, it makes me polite.

Big Dan
04-17-2006, 09:01 PM
No, it makes me polite.

Polite? humble pie for you.... :D

Brons2
04-18-2006, 01:10 AM
you two are both behaving about equally poorly :rolleyes:

chill out and have a :beer:

dgauthier
04-18-2006, 01:23 PM
you two are both behaving about equally poorly :rolleyes:

chill out and have a :beer:

Both? I don't believe I'm the one insulting other forum members. Did I miss something? My intention was to be polite and humorous.

And I'm totally chilled, by the way. Salut! :beer: