PDA

View Full Version : Gommaitalia Targa K...

catulle
04-16-2006, 04:18 PM
I like my Gommaitalia Targa K clinchers very much. For reference, I'm riding Continental 3000 tires and Vittoria Corsa tubulars in my other bikes. The Targa are very supple, like tubulars, are seemingly impervious to cuts, they grip excellently, and mount very easily.

Has any one here tried them? I'd appreciate your views and opinions. Thank you.

torquer
04-17-2006, 10:23 AM
When I first tried Veloflex Paves (ca. 180 grams), I thought I'd never want to bother with tubulars again. After too many flats on the Paves, however, I reconsidered, but decided to try the slightly heavier Gommitalias (220 gram?) and was very happy. (I understand they are produced in the same factory.)Durability puts the Paves in the shade, and ride quality is close. Other clinchers I have tries are the Contis, Vittorias and Schwalbes, and the Gommitalias are the class of the field. I have also tried the Veloflex Blacks, also slightly heavier than the Paves, and while also good tires, I would give the Targas the edge.

Major style points for that blue metal tin the Targas came packaged in as well!

tmanley
04-17-2006, 01:32 PM
What's the best place to buy these tires?

catulle
04-17-2006, 01:37 PM
What's the best place to buy these tires?
Chicagoland. Ask for Sarah and tell her that Juan told you they´re #1, #2, and #3.

mls
04-17-2006, 06:30 PM
hey torquer are you talking the calypsos cause theyre
220 gr the targas are 180gr . i have tried the veloflex
tires great ride dont hold up that well though .
the price for the targas are 2x the calypsos has anyone
tried the calypsos ? i think i will try a pr of the the calypsos

OttrottAZ
04-17-2006, 09:02 PM
I too liked the Targas for about three weeks until I had to brake quickly and wound up skidding - a huge chunk of rubber pealed off (1 cm by 5cm) hanging by a thread slapping my seat stay and revealing bare casing. I have gone back to my trusty Vredestein Fortezza tricomps - no worries bro.

OttrottAZ
04-17-2006, 09:04 PM
Correction - MLS is right - I'm talking 220 gram red Calypsos (cheaper than Targa) - my experience was with them. Did get a nice blue "Can" which stores buttons for my wife out of the deal.

Kevin
04-18-2006, 05:37 AM
The Targas are great clinchers. They are my tire of choice.

Kevin

Loro_tomas
04-18-2006, 10:01 AM
I train exclusible on Calypsos. they are supple and light. I wouldn't recomend the targas for anything but nice clean roads. On the other hand the Calypsos are a solid tire. Great wear and pretty tough.

Loro

torquer
04-18-2006, 10:17 AM
I'm sure they weren't Calypsos, and 2 x's price difference sounds about right, too. My weight estimates were entirely based upon (fast-fading) memory, but I would be surprised if the Targas were as light as the 180 gram Paves.

joe torre
10-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Reviving an old thread...

I just spent TWO HOURS trying to fit Veloflex Pave tires on a set of Mavic MA40 wheelset., to no avail :no:
I know these rims are difficult and the tires are pretty tight to mount, so I tried my hardest, knowing that it should be hard, but seriously this has been the hardest I have ever tried to put a tire on a rim... and I have made no progress! I tried all the tricks and I now officially give up.

Question:

Anyone has any experience if the Gommitalia Targa (very similar it seems to the Veloflex Pave) might be easier to mount than the Veloflex Pave?

I did read somewhere online (with a grain of salt) that they migt be produced in the same factory and be essentially the same tire? But are they?

I understand that they might be quite comparable - not a bad thing, I like my Pave a lot - but I would like to avoid ordering a pair of Gommitalia Targa instead of the Veloflex Pave and realising in a week that they were the same tires or as impossible to mount on my old Mavic rims.
Thanks!!