PDA

View Full Version : slightly oversized seattubes (29.2 vs 28.6)

mecse
04-08-2015, 06:14 PM
Hi folks,

a few weeks ago I bought a fabulous frame here:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=165112&highlight=desalvo+anniversary

And I finally started having time to build it up last week. I measured out the seattube with calipers… and it's 29.2 . Not 28.6.

This has meant that I'm having a hard time putting any kind of clamp adapter on there. Does anyone know of a particularly forgiving brand of clamp adapter? Or an alternative solution? I'd share photos but I didn't take any.

EricEstlund
04-08-2015, 08:22 PM
That 28.6 is the actual tube before powder. Odds are good most of the Shimano clamps, or after market (like Problem Solvers or Wheels) will work just fine.

buldogge
04-08-2015, 08:23 PM
You're gonna want to use a 32mm clamp with an appropriate rubber/plastic spacer.

-Mark in St. Louis

vqdriver
04-08-2015, 08:43 PM
That 28.6 is the actual tube before powder. Odds are good most of the Shimano clamps, or after market (like Problem Solvers or Wheels) will work just fine.

this has been my experience. depending on the thickness of the finish, you may have to grease the inside of the clamp a bit or pry open just a tad by twisting a flathead in the slot. no biggie.

- sweet frame btw. that was a smokin deal. but by the looks of it, it's got a braze on, no need for a clamp

mecse
04-08-2015, 09:00 PM
this has been my experience. depending on the thickness of the finish, you may have to grease the inside of the clamp a bit or pry open just a tad by twisting a flathead in the slot. no biggie.

- sweet frame btw. that was a smokin deal. but by the looks of it, it's got a braze on, no need for a clamp

I know - I'm very excited to ride it. It's going to be gorgeous.

Pretty confident it's a clamp on :) I'll send a photo of it tomorrow when i'm at the workshop.

vqdriver
04-08-2015, 09:05 PM
lol. never mind, i was thinking seatpost clamp this whole time.
rereading your post, i think you mean fd clamp...

my bad.

mecse
04-08-2015, 09:06 PM

Thanks Eric - I figured it was something like that, where the paint and whatnot would add 0.6 mm. 0.3mm thick paint...

I figured the tolerance would be ok, and tried an Origin 8 (http://www.origin8.bike/product-description/?prod_model_uid=8223) brand one. It looks really ugly on one end when clamped (Will send photo)

I also tried the Parlee carbon adapter (http://www.amazon.com/Parlee-Carbon-Front-adaptor-28-6mm/dp/B001PT6PEK) - and this one looked like the two hole-sides were never going to align, without some serious push from my end, if ever.

Left scratching my head and figured i'd ask here before trying something else.

mecse
04-08-2015, 09:07 PM
lol. never mind, i was thinking seatpost clamp this whole time.
rereading your post, i think you mean fd clamp...

my bad.

Yes, sorry, I meant the FD clamp. the seatpost clamp is definitely that and is as beautiful in person as you see there.

thegunner
04-08-2015, 09:08 PM
considering i'm helping him build it, i can 100% safely say it doesn't come with a FD hanger brazed on.

i think it's a combination of a few things, the 28.6 FD clamp we got is crappy, and we're trying not to muck up the paint, so... it's been a bit touch and go.

mecse
04-08-2015, 09:09 PM
considering i'm helping him build it, i can 100% safely say it doesn't come with a FD hanger brazed on.

i think it's a combination of a few things, the 28.6 FD clamp we got is crappy, and we're trying not to muck up the paint, so... it's been a bit touch and go.

I should have mentioned this. TheGunner's been a huge total help (and lets be honest, we've had fun admiring and enjoying the frame) .

oldpotatoe
04-09-2015, 06:23 AM

Campagnolo FD adapters are pretty forgiving..

Never mind..Valentino thinks there aren't any more 28.6 frames out there...Miche makes one also. Or like mentioned, 32mm one with a PVC shim.