PDA

View Full Version : Campy Neutron Internal Nipples Locked

pjmsj21
04-08-2015, 11:35 AM
I am trying to deal with a few frozen spokes/nipples on a newly acquired but used set of Campy Neutrons (tubular). Or I should say my LBS is stumped by this challenge. There appears to be some glue on the nipples which may be locking them in place.

Any suggestions as to how I best deal with this and also what size tool is needed to adjust these spokes.

TIA

Gaucho410
04-08-2015, 12:00 PM
The easiest solution is to chop the spoke and install a new one - if the nipple is stuck on so securely that you can't break it loose without deforming the spoke, there's little else that can be done from the sounds of things.

pjmsj21
04-08-2015, 12:08 PM
Yes I am guessing that is the route I may have to go but wanted to avoid it as Neutron tubular spokes are not easy to find....at least for me.

The easiest solution is to chop the spoke and install a new one - if the nipple is stuck on so securely that you can't break it loose without deforming the spoke, there's little else that can be done from the sounds of things.

Brian Cdn
04-08-2015, 12:12 PM
I am guessing that our learned Old Potato.. may have the answer

Anarchist
04-08-2015, 01:01 PM
Contact cement solvent on the nipple, let it soak in for a few minutes and then a little more solvent, then turn the nipple off and clean it up.

pjmsj21
04-08-2015, 01:10 PM
Any idea as to size type of wrench to turn the nipple on these wonderfully proprietary wheels?

aaronf
04-08-2015, 01:57 PM
Either a 5mm or 5.5mm socket, depending on generation. Pretty sure Nucleons were 5mm, Neutrons became 5.5mm. May have to search out a thin-wall socket or turn down a standard one to fit through the hole in the tire bed. I seem to recall standard thickness sockets working just fine though.

fogrider
04-08-2015, 02:37 PM
these are great!
http://www.parktool.com/product/3-way-internal-nipple-wrench-sw-15

Hindmost
04-08-2015, 05:33 PM
maybe acetone.

oldpotatoe
04-09-2015, 06:29 AM

What he said..may try to use some sort of solvent but gonna be tough to break them loose w/o barber-poling the spoke. Even with Campag wheels, I am no fan of unique/proprietary wheels.

binxnyrwarrsoul
04-09-2015, 06:36 AM

Dunno how easy it will be to replace that spoke, iirc, there's something like 4+ different spoke lengths. And at $50 a pop for a spoke kit, I'd try to "fix" first.

OP, PM me, I may have a few spokes, but not sure if they're the correct year. Neutrons are killer wheels, until they're not.