PDA

View Full Version : some pretty stuff from what has become of Airborne in Europe

eddief
04-16-2006, 01:23 PM
I enjoy watching the evolution of cycling stuff and what is being produced both by Serotta and others in the industry; whether the likes of Riv or Kog or whomever. Having owned an Airborne in its early day I stay curious about its evolutiuon. Seems to have evolved into the company Van Nicholas in the Netherlands. Still "cost effective" ti but these guys are now paying attention to an aesthetic I can relate to. No clue how they ride, but these look a might better than Airbornes ever did or the new Flyte.

It appears they may have emulated or borrowed? from the mighty Sasha White. Difficult to copywrite the letter V.

These are from a mt. model, but the road models have some nice updated geo and understated graphics.

bluesea
04-16-2006, 01:34 PM
It appears they may have emulated or borrowed? from the mighty Sasha White. Difficult to copywrite the letter V.

Sorry but that sucks. The copying, that is...

eddief
04-16-2006, 01:49 PM
by the perfect artistry and craftmanship of Vanilla, compared to these probably Taiwan-made frames. Sasha is in zero danger from this company in the Netherlands. More likely coincidence, rather than overt????

They also make an Audax frame with similar drop outs for disk, v, and canti brakes. Nice geo and fit to take fenders they say.

capitán
04-16-2006, 02:36 PM
That is one of the ugliest seat clusters I have ever seen.

bluesea
04-16-2006, 02:46 PM
More likely coincidence, rather than overt????

Probably. The idea of ripping that design seems too ludicrious.

eddief
04-16-2006, 03:07 PM
really not my intention. Don't think I've seen any representative samples of what works for you.

Bill Bove
04-16-2006, 06:41 PM
What, theTaiwanese aren't capable of producing "art"?

eddief
04-16-2006, 07:15 PM
or contributions to the threads I start are sincerely appreciated.

astute - Having or showing shrewdness and discernment, especially with respect to one's own concerns.

Too Tall
04-17-2006, 07:54 AM
Eddie, am not saying anything!!! Let's just mull this over a pic. of Sasha's work m'kay? Below is a pic of a Vanilla:

eddief
04-17-2006, 09:43 AM
I already gave Sasha total credit. Van Nicholas has also put their V in a circle. I get it. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. These guys are at opposite ends of the world and approaches to building bikes.

My only point was Van Nicholas was creating some interesting, cost effective designs in ti. The fact they are delivering off the rack Audax styles is interesting to me.

No need to malign nations and peoples, nor to let me know Sasha is a genius.

capitán
04-17-2006, 09:50 AM
Personally, even the Vanilla dropouts are a little over the top for my preferences, but they are very well done and a LOT better than the Van Nickolas. I apologize in advance if my opinion is not astute enough.

Too Tall
04-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Oh nooo nooo I wasn't saying anything. I'd have to give a rat's beehind in the first place geeze! If anything I'm a fan as are you of what he managed to do. No question and I can say with all honesty I've TONS of respect but what was he thinking? How about he tries sneaking up on it first...you know blow in my ear perhaps. It's not like nobody would notice the laser cut "V"!!!! Lookey, 99.9999% (twizzler excepted) of the world would not know...it's just the strange lower life forms who dig things like handmade bike who are going to cluck and you don't care anyway right?

Hey, you know what would really look cool in that rear dropout? The Brooklyn Bridge. Huh? How about THAT :)

eddief
04-17-2006, 12:58 PM
here ya go.

You are beating a dead horse when you insist on talking about something that cannot be changed. Example: "I'd like to talk with you again about what happened." Reply: "Oh, come on. Let's not beat a dead horse."

Beating a dead horse is an action that has no purpose, because no matter how hard or how long you beat a dead horse, it is not going to get up and run. Example: "Let's not talk about it any more. Okay?" Reply: "You're right. We're just beating a dead horse."

To repeatedly bring up a particular topic with no chance of affecting the outcome is beating a dead horse. Example: "Dad, are you sure we can't get a new computer for the upstairs?" Reply: "Son, we talked about this and the decision was 'no'. You are beating a dead horse."

Too Tall
04-17-2006, 01:03 PM
You are right, I was being cruel and can do better. Beers.

kestrel
04-17-2006, 01:45 PM
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about?

Let me weigh in with what I see as a complete neophyte:

Some frame builder with a first name of Sasha makes frames under the marketing name of Vanilla and uses some very artistic dropouts, seatstays, headtubes, etc. with "V" as a trademark identifier. Beautiful work, even to the untrained eye.
Another frame builder with a last name of Van Nicholas makes frames under the Van Nicholas or Airborne name and uses some very artistic dropouts, seatstays, headtubes, etc. with "V" as a trademark identifier. Beautiful work, even to the untrained eye.

Both totally different to even the casual observer, what's the beef? Can someone appreciate both? Sure, why not?
Are we discussing infringement?

bostondrunk
04-17-2006, 01:57 PM
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about?

Ahhh.....let me explain young man. The above photos are of frames from a 'discount' manufacturer.
Throw a Serotta sticker on those frames, and half the people here will be wetting their pants from excitement, like the doof does when old re-runs of Different Strokes are on TV.

:D

Ahneida Ride
04-17-2006, 02:10 PM
sure do look like 3Dxl dropouts too !!!!

kestrel
04-17-2006, 04:12 PM
Ahhh.....let me explain young man. The above photos are of frames from a 'discount' manufacturer.
Throw a Serotta sticker on those frames, and half the people here will be wetting their pants from excitement, like the doof does when old re-runs of Different Strokes are on TV.

:D

Ohhhh, now I get it! So it's more snob appeal than actually visual/metalurgical differences eh?

watchyou talkin' 'bout BD? -with apologies to Gary Coleman......