PDA

View Full Version : Ritchey Road vs Gunnar Roadie

parco
04-07-2015, 05:09 PM
I've been thinking about getting a Ritchey Road frame and a friend mentioned that I might want to check out a Gunnar Roadie. Similar geometry and close in price but I don't really know too much about the ride qualities of either one. and I don't know how the Ritchey fork compares to the Enve. (Although I prefer the alloy fork tips). Anybody out there have experience with either of these frames?

veloduffer
04-07-2015, 05:56 PM
I don't know who builds Ritchey frames, obviously not The Man himself except certain special editions. Gunnars are still built in Waterford, WI. I had a Crosshairs and it is one of the few bikes that I regret selling. It felt light and road quickly - it had a certain liveliness that was hard to describe.

I haven't read any reviews of the current Ritcheys. The originals were classics.

oldpotatoe
04-07-2015, 06:06 PM
I've been thinking about getting a Ritchey Road frame and a friend mentioned that I might want to check out a Gunnar Roadie. Similar geometry and close in price but I don't really know too much about the ride qualities of either one. and I don't know how the Ritchey fork compares to the Enve. (Although I prefer the alloy fork tips). Anybody out there have experience with either of these frames?

My experience is that I sold both. Gunnar made in the US is Waterford factory by same guys who make Waterfords. Same tubes, same welders, not custom(although that is available-up charge), and fewer stock colors. Ritchey is fine and dandy but made in Asia, no custom, limited color choice(1?). We did have a few(3) Ritchey cross frames that had slipping seat posts....oversized seat tube, Ritcheys answer was a 27.4 SP...which was too big..

I think for the $, a Gunnar is a 'better' choice, IMHO, of course.

Cornfed
04-07-2015, 06:19 PM
I've never ridden a Ritchey, but I have a Roadie and it's one of the lightest and most comfortable steel bikes I've ridden. Can't go wrong with anything Waterford makes, imo.

eddief
04-07-2015, 06:22 PM
It was a headturner in terms of looks. And by that I mean the paint color was just fine and I have always liked the logo decals. Ritchey takes a modern drop in headset and no advantage to that. Pretty sure you can get any fork you want if you choose the Gunnar. My Gunnar Sport had the best tigged joints I've ever seen. American or Asian, Richard Schwinn or Tom Ritchey? Toss up since I bet they both ride just great. I think with fork included, the Ritchey might cost a couple hundred less.

I think this guy knows what he is talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjjGuEtoVaE

Ken Robb
04-07-2015, 06:35 PM
I had a wonderful stock Waterford. I had a thorough tour of the Waterford factory with Richard Schwinn and saw Gunnars and Waterfords being built on the same line by the same men. As others have said, they do great work and have years of experience designing bikes that really work.

A few years ago I was chatting with Richard at the Handbuilt Bicycle Show and told him how much I enjoyed my RS11 that I bought based on his recommendation a few years earlier. I asked him which of his current bikes I should consider as an upgrade. He told me his latest and greatest could save me a few ounces but couldn't really ride better than the RS11 I already owned. That is a real straight-shooter! :banana:

kgreene10
04-07-2015, 07:28 PM
I test road a Gunnar a couple of times and came away with an opinion that doesn't match the very positive experiences that I have read here over the years. Maybe it was the wheelset, but the whole rig felt flexy and inefficient to me. I was coming off of years on a steel frame, but, FWIW, I went carbon after that (except for my awesome ti coupler and, almost forgot, my Serotta CSI - but other than those, all carbon!).

Mayhem
04-07-2015, 07:55 PM
The geometry is actually a little different, I prefer the Ritchey. Little taller headtube would requite fewer spacers for me, the wheelbase is a little longer and you can fit a 28c while the Gunnar can only go to a 25. Never tried a 28 but I would like to have that option someday. I've had my eye on the Ritchey for a long time.

pbarry
04-07-2015, 08:12 PM
Good comparison. TR did the bike industry a favor with his influential early designs. Only reason to outsource everything in his co line for the last 25 years is $$.. Go for the Gunnar. Best value in a U.S. made frame.

Peter P.
04-07-2015, 08:33 PM
The Ritchey has got that "Ritchey Design" influence going on-little creations such as the socket style rear dropouts, the machined headtube that directly accepts the headset bearings, and the advertised ability to accept 28mm tires.
The price, with carbon fork, is roughly $200 less than the Gunnar.

On the minus side, it comes in only one color, but the fork IS painted to match the frame.

I think the decal set makes for a more professional looking "race" bike.

I've read of a few hiccups with Ritchey frames. oldpotatoe's mention of the seat tube I.D. is one. Ill-fitting cable housing stops was another. That wouldn't shy me away from one; I'd just be alert to check these details during assembly and be ready with my facts should I find flaws.

The Gunnar, on the other hand, gives you a choice of 2 carbon or 1 steel fork. It comes in a wide array of colors, and does not use a proprietary headset design which might make it easier to service when the bearings need replacement-does anyone know if the Ritchey headset bearings are a standard design available from say, Cane Creek?

You might be able to order a Gunnar with a pump peg.

Should you ever need the frame repaired, Gunnar World Headquarters is in Wisconsin; just a phone call away. With Ritchey well, I don't know how they'll deal with warranty repairs.

Personally, I like the Ritchey for its rarity on the road and its "pro" looking decal set. I'd get the Gunnar because of the color choices, U.S. based manufacturing and repair, and the choice of getting a steel fork for it.

Gummee
04-07-2015, 09:01 PM
I don't have either a Roadie or a Ritchey Road, but I DO have a Crosshairs and a P650b.

They're both great bikes, but the Crosshairs is one of those bikes that you'll have to pry out of my cold, dead, fingers.

I've had my Crosshairs since '05 and don't see getting rid of it any time soon.

M

Ken Robb
04-07-2015, 09:48 PM
doesn't Gunnar offer a Road Sport with more clearance, etc?

scho74
04-07-2015, 10:16 PM
i had a gunnar roadie and i sometimes miss it. rode great. i'd pick roadie over ritchey any day of the week!

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8299/7768723156_3c2694c2f7_b.jpg

JWDR
04-07-2015, 10:43 PM
i had a gunnar roadie and i sometimes miss it. rode great. i'd pick roadie over ritchey any day of the week!

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8299/7768723156_3c2694c2f7_b.jpg

I bought this bike from scho, rode it for about a year and sold it to buy a Waterford R14. The Waterford is slightly lighter and the paint job is a thousand times nicer but they ride the same in my opinion. If a paint job had been any cheaper I would still be riding it. The rear end fit all the 28 tires I ever tried in it and I rode 25 PR4s in it with tons of room left for most of its time with me.

thwart
04-07-2015, 10:56 PM
Personally, I like the Ritchey for its rarity on the road and its "pro" looking decal set.

Just an FYI… the folks at Gunnar have changed their graphics… this is a Crosshairs, but the Roadie's look the same.

fogrider
04-07-2015, 11:41 PM
you really can't go wrong with either. I've had a ritchey back in the day and it was a sweet ride. I've seen a few ritchey road bikes that the man himself brazed up...if I come across another...but then a swiss cross would be sweet too.

bcgav
04-08-2015, 05:07 AM
Just an FYI… the folks at Gunnar have changed their graphics… this is a Crosshairs, but the Roadie's look the same.

Just to clarify, old graphics "Starwars decals" are available in stock colors. Older archived colors (http://gunnarbikes.com/site/colors-and-styling/archived-colors/) and decal combos available for a slight upcharge.

http://gunnarbikes.com/site/colors-and-styling/current-colors/

Mark McM
04-08-2015, 09:27 AM
The geometry is actually a little different, I prefer the Ritchey. Little taller headtube would requite fewer spacers for me, the wheelbase is a little longer and you can fit a 28c while the Gunnar can only go to a 25. Never tried a 28 but I would like to have that option someday. I've had my eye on the Ritchey for a long time.

I took a look at the Gunnar Roadie geometry chart, and something doesn't add up. Normally, as frame size goes up, the Reach dimension also goes up. But with the Roadie, the Reach dimension actually decreases from the 540 through to the 620 size. Very odd.

eddief
04-08-2015, 09:50 AM
would suggest in the middle of the range is where the ht and st angles change steepnesses. I think actual geometry stuff is at play here.

QUOTE=Mark McM;1737661]I took a look at the Gunnar Roadie geometry chart, and something doesn't add up. Normally, as frame size goes up, the Reach dimension also goes up. But with the Roadie, the Reach dimension actually decreases from the 540 through to the 620 size. Very odd.[/QUOTE]

weiwentg
04-08-2015, 12:05 PM

I hope the paint is more durable!! :bike:

thwart
04-08-2015, 12:40 PM
I hope the paint is more durable!! :bike:

Having owned both Ritchey road bikes and Gunnars… I'd say it's a horse apiece.

Mark McM
04-08-2015, 12:55 PM
would suggest in the middle of the range is where the ht and st angles change steepnesses. I think actual geometry stuff is at play here.

QUOTE=Mark McM;1737661]I took a look at the Gunnar Roadie geometry chart, and something doesn't add up. Normally, as frame size goes up, the Reach dimension also goes up. But with the Roadie, the Reach dimension actually decreases from the 540 through to the 620 size. Very odd.[/QUOTE]

I think you are right. As frame size gets larger, the top tubes did get longer but at the same time the seat tube angle got slacker, totally offsetting the change in top tube length. Normally, designers account for changes in seat tube angle when selecting top tube length, but in this case it appears that this was not accounted for, and so the unexpected trend in the final reach dimension.

adampaiva
04-08-2015, 01:16 PM
I haven't ridden the Road Logic 2.0 but have had the original Road Logic (https://www.flickr.com/photos/adampaiva/14409011635/in/photolist-nXgWog-dbrBwo-nZ4kBH-6Mug9a-ad6HHW-9Fihpz-dhhN5w-nXgXa6-boXq7L-nEMyym-nENnPa-nXacMU-nXgVPa-nZ4jya-nVen9s-nEMtEG-dbrESC-ecsfZW-ecsfQ1-jdtwER-asavZ6-pgcqHj-pgbWus-pgbDee-pxpFvP-pxpF34-pxpELx-pvDwch-pgcBog-pvDvt3-pvDv4A-pgcmHf-pxE1qW-pvDtXs-pvDtuJ-pxDZcJ-pgbydH-pgbxFF-dMPUbz-dMPU4K-dMVrV3-dMVrMq-dMVrAS-dMPTjZ-dMPT5P-dMVqXA-dMVqK9-dMVqyA-oxgthB-pdSxiR) since 2006 and it is really a sublime ride. Just like the post above for the Gunnar, you'll have to pry this bike out of my cold dead hands. Assuming its only improved with the update, I'd say the Ritchey is going to be very good. I can fit 29c Challenge Paris-Roubaix tires in mine which makes it into a nice versatile and comfortable bike for all roads.
And although its not custom, I think the Ritcheys are still plenty rare enough that you wont see many (if any) others out on group rides, so its still got a uniqueness factor.

Seems like either would result in a great bicycle but if it were me, I'd go Ritchey.

Oh and I had mine repainted and their customer service was very friendly and helpful to get me new decals.

bcgav
04-08-2015, 01:38 PM
I've ridden a loaner Roadie, a loaner Crosshairs, and now own a Hyper-X. The ride off all three is incredibly lively, very responsive transmitting power, excellent lateral stiffness with a sublime steel-is-real ride. I've never ridden a Ritchey though but suspect they have a similar ride quality.

Go ride them both if you can.