PDA

View Full Version : Sad news..cyclist killed

ntb1001
04-07-2015, 11:43 AM
This happened over easter weekend. Not much info on the driver's fault or not?
I can't think of how many times I've ridden past that exact spot...really unsettling for me, my 15 & 14 year old ride these roads as well.
http://m.durhamregion.com/news-story/5542139-president-of-durham-cycling-club-killed-easter-sunday-biking-in-bowmanville

christian
04-07-2015, 11:45 AM
He was waiting to turn left. Rather than wait behind him, the car driver passed on his left and struck him as he was turning left. Um, yeah, the driver was at fault.

ntb1001
04-07-2015, 11:51 AM
Seems that way to ne too whe I first read it...but police have not charged her.

tumbler
04-07-2015, 12:35 PM
Very chilling to see the picture of the bike laying there. So sad...

cdn_bacon
04-07-2015, 12:42 PM
President of Durham Cycling to boot.

sad indeed.:mad:

Anarchist
04-07-2015, 12:43 PM
" ... Police would like with anyone who may have saw the accident ...."

gasman
04-07-2015, 12:47 PM
Very sad.
It's unclear to me though I wonder if he was making his turn but for some reason didn't hear the car. That happened in town here a few years ago, a woman who rides a lot turned right in front of a car in a moment of inattention.She had a long rehab but has more or less recovered though she doesn't ride on the road any more.
The other riders there should have been able to give the police enough information.

OtayBW
04-07-2015, 12:59 PM
He was among seven cyclists biking westbound on Bloor Street at 10:55 a.m. about to turn left onto Solina Road. Police said a red Pontiac Vibe was also westbound and attempted to pass the cyclists in the eastbound lane when Mr. Manko turned his bike in front of the car and was hit.:mad:

benb
04-07-2015, 01:24 PM
Interesting the police are looking for witnesses when it says he was in a group of 7 cyclists. I wonder if the cyclists are considered poor witnesses.

bikingshearer
04-07-2015, 01:54 PM
Interesting the police are looking for witnesses when it says he was in a group of 7 cyclists. I wonder if the cyclists are considered poor witnesses.

This is probably a routine request from the police asking for input from anyone else who might have witnessed something, not a comment by them on the reliability of the witnesses they already have talked to. I certainly hope this is the case.

Very sad all the way around. As the Sergeant in "Hill Street Blues" might say, "be extra careful out there."

sitzmark
04-07-2015, 01:57 PM

Probably looking for "independent" witnesses with no connection to the motorist or the cyclists. If there are any.

Pretty remote stretch of road with a 70kph speed limit. Single yellow center line leading to the intersection, but ends at the intersection. Apparently solid yellow rules aren't consistent throughout Canada - passing/no passing.

Hard to believe an experienced ride leader wouldn't have signaled his intention to turn left ... or those behind him indicating the group was to turn left at the intersection. In our group rides, we're very deliberate about having the last couple of riders in the paceline yell out "clear" when it is safe for all to move into and take the entire lane. Then all signal left turn with outstretched left arm through the intersection.

If one (or any) of the cyclists were signaling left turn, the motorist would almost certainly be at fault. Single solid yellow indicates caution, so the motorist should not have crossed without a very thorough assessment of the situation and extra caution. If forensics determine she was traveling at or in excess of the speed limit at an intersection marked by solid yellow with a group of cyclists having the right of way, that would suggest (to me) poor judgment and careless vehicle operation.

Not being there, all I can do is speculate, which is worth nothing. Hope the real facts are determined.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/roman-manko-mourned-by-gta-cycling-community-1.3022161

Dead Man
04-07-2015, 02:39 PM
Hmm... I have a particularly nasty intersection at the bottom of a hill where I frequently need to turn left with an enraged motorist behind me, chomping at the bit to get around me after having to follow me all the way down the hill at 35-40mph (speed limit is 40 and all the curves are marked 25mph, but you know... They still hate me). I try to signal left as soon as possible after rounding the last curve at the bottom of the hill, so people don't do exactly this to me, but I'm always worried about it.

Prayers for the kin.. Sucks.

Dead Man
04-07-2015, 02:41 PM
My ignorant, uninformed guess/prediction is that he signaled, and she just didn't even realize/care what was going on and was committing to getting around him/them.

sw3759
04-07-2015, 08:21 PM
"My ignorant, uninformed guess/prediction is that he signaled, and she just didn't even realize/care what was going on and was committing to getting around him/them."

that would be my guess too..it has happened to me on several occasions and i'm sure lots of others here as well,you have your left arm out to turn left and get passed on the left and almost losing your arm not to mention your life..

sad and tragic for this guy and his family and friends and fortunate that this person didnt kill or maim the others in the group

JAllen
04-07-2015, 11:46 PM
Hmm... I have a particularly nasty intersection at the bottom of a hill where I frequently need to turn left with an enraged motorist behind me, chomping at the bit to get around me after having to follow me all the way down the hill at 35-40mph (speed limit is 40 and all the curves are marked 25mph, but you know... They still hate me). I try to signal left as soon as possible after rounding the last curve at the bottom of the hill, so people don't do exactly this to me, but I'm always worried about it.

Prayers for the kin.. Sucks.

Watch out. I'm pretty we're worth extra points. With the "punishments" they hand out for car/cyclist or car/pedestrian collisions; I wouldn't be surprised if they don't let her off with a stern finger waving (that is, if they don't hand her a medal)

Hawker
04-08-2015, 08:43 AM
My ignorant, uninformed guess/prediction is that he signaled, and she just didn't even realize/care what was going on and was committing to getting around him/them.

I wonder if she was more committed to her cell phone?