PDA

View Full Version : Wild Boar a go go- jacket question

Fiertetimestwo
04-07-2015, 07:25 AM
After years of stalking Andy Hampsten on line my partner and I have booked a Cinghiale tour later this year- I am looking forward to it very much.

We are doing the Chianti and Castagneto Tour in late September/early October.

The weather could be mid 60's through to 70's and perhaps even low 80's, but a waterproof jacket is recommended.

As a certified Rapha whore (I've bought most of my Rapha stuff on sale- honest) which jacket from the Rapha range would suit? Any ideas?

oldpotatoe
04-07-2015, 08:28 AM
After years of stalking Andy Hampsten on line my partner and I have booked a Cinghiale tour later this year- I am looking forward to it very much.

We are doing the Chianti and Castagneto Tour in late September/early October.

The weather could be mid 60's through to 70's and perhaps even low 80's, but a waterproof jacket is recommended.

As a certified Rapha whore (I've bought most of my Rapha stuff on sale- honest) which jacket from the Rapha range would suit? Any ideas?

Ask Andy...He's on facebook(whatever that is).

joosttx
04-07-2015, 09:48 AM
The new Rapha pack jacket could fit your needs. However, challenge that you have at those temperatures wearing a rain jacket is just too much clothing. I know you are a self proclaimed Rapha whore but I think you should consider the Gabba 2 short sleeve jersey made by Castelli.

Kirk007
04-07-2015, 04:23 PM
sounds like the Rapha wind jacket or gilet could be the ticket. The rides on that trip are 3-4 hours as I recall and a lot of up and down the hills. I think the Gabba would be too warm for those temps (for me the Gabba tops out around 60 unless it is raining hard), but that type of fabric is a very good recommendation. Sportful makes some interesting jackets that are water resistant and uber light - I just bought a hot pack ultralight today so can't comment yet, but I think you want something that will breath as much as a "waterproof/water resistant" jacket can for those rides. (note Sportful also makes a packable hot pack jacket with gabba like material on shoulders and front (which they admit doesn't breath as well as the others). Assos climajet might be a good albeit $$ choice.

Fiertetimestwo
04-08-2015, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the responses. I will contact Andy- he has been super responsive in the other dealings I have had with him in booking the tour.

I know it is a very new product, but has anyone had any experience with the new Rapha pack jacket?

I already have a gilet, so I wonder just how essential a full jacket is?

happycampyer
04-08-2015, 07:18 AM
On the trip I was on in Castegneto in mid-September, it rained at least one and maybe two days, and a light rain jacket was useful as much for warmth as for rain protection. Since you're going later in the month, I would take a couple of jackets of different weights to cover your bases. Even if you're not carrying the jacket on you, there is a follow van and you can make adjustments at the rest stops. Somewhere I have a photo of Andy wearing a clear "shower cap" helmet cover—Andy is (or at least was, this was several years ago) a very practical person and not a fashion victim.