PDA

View Full Version : How do you wash your bike in the city?

sweet_johnny
04-06-2015, 02:27 PM
When I was living out in the sticks it was easy to wash my bikes in the driveway, but city/condo living is making the bike washing a bit tricky. I can't wash in the condo's parking lot (it's against condo rules/regs). I'm pretty sure the car washes will frown on washing a bike too (Signs say "no bucket washing").

So, how do you apartment or condo dwellers wash your bikes?

(And don't tell me to put down a cardboard box in my home... not going to happen).

Likes2ridefar
04-06-2015, 02:31 PM
two methods:

quick clean 1) buy a tarp, cover the floor and put the bike on a stand or do whatever to make it not move. use a microfiber towel (buy a big pack) and a spray that removes gunk like simple green. spray on towel, wipe down. take tarp outside and shake off grime, fold for later use. dispose of towel or save for other dirty uses. I also used paper towels but they can make a mess and dont work as nice. usually the microfiber towels would work a number of times if you keep up with keeping the bike decently clean.

deep clean 2) small bucket, soft bristle brush, same cleaner in a water solution. take the bike outside on the sidewalk or my favorite was to ride to a nearby park and do it in a pretty environment and clean it there. i had a water spigot I could use to fill a small container up along with a tiny stand and cleaner in a pack. two towels, one for cleaning and one for polishing up.

MattTuck
04-06-2015, 02:31 PM
befriend someone with a house ;)

Indoor, I tend to just do a damp cloth wipe down. That's about all you can do, honestly without getting into drop cloths and run off.

BobbyJones
04-06-2015, 02:41 PM
Every apartment I've had without outdoor space I've replaced the shower head with an "aftermarket" massage type head with a hose.

Great for washing bikes and bathing dogs. It's a bit more of a hassle to really get in and thoroughly clean wheels, but its satisfactory.

As a side note, your SO will dig the fact that the tub gets cleaned after. (Assuming you'll do that, too)

mg2ride
04-06-2015, 02:47 PM
..... I can't wash in the condo's parking lot (it's against condo rules/regs)...

Are you talking about a bicycle or a motorcycle?

What exactly is the penalty for said infraction?

tumbler
04-06-2015, 02:50 PM
For a quick cleaning, I use a small spray bottle with water to get the majority of the debris off the frame, fork, rims, and brake calipers. I just bring my bike into the hallway and spray it down really well, then wipe off the dirt with paper towels. The hallway in my building has tile floors, so I just wipe them off when I'm done and there's no problem. You could do the same thing outside if the bike is really filthy or you think your neighbors will be bothered.

A few times a year, I'll remove the chain, cassette, cranks, brakes, etc. for a thorough cleaning. For this, I usually perform the step above to get all of the loose stuff off the bike first. Then I remove the parts I am cleaning and work with a bucket and scrub brush in either the bathroom or the kitchen (only when the wife isn't home). It would definitely be nice to have a large garage or basement to work in, but I've never had too much trouble working in the apartment this way.

buldogge
04-06-2015, 03:05 PM
Bike on stand, wheels removed...

-Use a damp cloth to remove the big stuff, and loosen everything else..

then

-Pledge spray...

then

-Wizard's Mist-n-Shine...

Wheels back on bike, wipe down chain/lube, bike off stand...

done.

-Mark in St. Louis

EDS
04-06-2015, 03:19 PM
When I was living out in the sticks it was easy to wash my bikes in the driveway, but city/condo living is making the bike washing a bit tricky. I can't wash in the condo's parking lot (it's against condo rules/regs). I'm pretty sure the car washes will frown on washing a bike too (Signs say "no bucket washing").

(And don't tell me to put down a cardboard box in my home... not going to happen).

Just fill-up a few water bottles and squirt the dirt away on the sidewalk. Then towel it down. You can do the detailing work inside.

eBAUMANN
04-06-2015, 03:22 PM
i know a lot of nyc folk use their showers...

04-06-2015, 03:22 PM
Spray bottle with non-detergent car wash solvent from any hardware store. The stuff just wipes off, rinses off, or dries off without spots or residue and cleans off your deck, your tub, whatever. Get a powerful spray bottle at Home Depot (costs $3 to $8) and it puts out a lot of liquid. You can walk the bike down with a few paper towels to the parking garage and do it in a corner, do it on your balcony, wherever. It does a really good job cleaning off the bike, even when it's been crudded pretty badly by a rainy ride. Give yourself a really good bike cleaning, then put a good wax on the bike, and it cuts 80% of the effort out of cleaning a bike.

thegunner
04-06-2015, 03:28 PM
i seem to have lucked out, my company's bike room installed a small tub area with a hose for us to wash bikes in. it's quite the luxury :banana:

572cv
04-06-2015, 03:33 PM
I found that a basic garden sprayer, the kind you might put a solution in for spraying bugs on flowers and such, is a great cleaning aid. Something like this:

http://www.solousa.com/store/flypage/handheld_sprayers/405-us.html

Solo is a good brand, and comes in a number of different sizes. I just use mine with water. On a hot day, after a long ride, it doubles as a shower! The good ones stay pressurized for a good long time.

rwerkudara
04-06-2015, 03:33 PM

Indeed. Then I have to clean the shower itself, which is another headache.

eBAUMANN
04-06-2015, 03:37 PM

sounds like you guys need to find a friend with a hose ;)

johnmdesigner
04-06-2015, 03:59 PM
If it's not super dirty put it in the tub. I put an old yoga mat in the tub first to catch any grease and prevent damage to the tub then take off wheels and use chain keeper. Wash frame with shower hose and wand with pulsating water. Cleans it as well as it cleans you. Roll up mat and let it dry.
Maybe it's a good excuse to make you clean your tub once and awhile.

R3awak3n
04-06-2015, 04:07 PM

If I washed my bikes in the shower my wife would kill me lol

but you are right a lot of people here wash them in their showers. I got lucky and have a backyard and a hose :) Usually I just use a rag and a spray bottle.

sweet_johnny
04-06-2015, 04:10 PM
Are you talking about a bicycle or a motorcycle?

What exactly is the penalty for said infraction?

The rules and regs say something to the effect of the only work that can be done on a car in the parking lot is jumping starting a dead battery or fixing a flat tire.

This is the same association that fined me $25 for leaving my boots outside my door, so I'm not about to go cause a stir by washing my bike in the parking lot.

I'm starting to like this idea of washing the bike in the shower. I'm not so sure how my wife is going to like it, but I think think she'll like not having to clean it after I'm done cleaning up my mess.

Cat3roadracer
04-06-2015, 04:14 PM
Baby wipes.

seanile
04-06-2015, 04:42 PM
ride in a rainstorm like i just did! make sure to blow through a couple big puddles to get up under the HT/DT joint :hello:, you know, washing it behind the ears and all

Mayhem
04-06-2015, 04:59 PM
During my apartment days I used the bathtub. I took the front wheel off so it would fit better and when I was finished I cleaned the tub with some degreaser and a green scratch pad. Too easy.

PQJ
04-06-2015, 05:03 PM
Befriend your super. Ask him to let you use the spigot with the hose. He'll know where it is located. If you don't have a super, find someone who can help you locate said spigot and hose. All buildings have them (somewhere, sometimes). Good luck.

brockd15
04-06-2015, 05:26 PM
What's the deal with Pledge? I've seen it mentioned twice lately.

Bob Ross
04-06-2015, 06:50 PM
Befriend your super. Ask him to let you use the spigot with the hose. He'll know where it is located. If you don't have a super, find someone who can help you locate said spigot and hose. All buildings have them (somewhere, sometimes). Good luck.

^^^This is what I've done in the last two NYC co-ops where I've lived. But sounds like OP's condo has their panties in a bunch about public visibility (no shoes in the hallway, seriously?!?!) and might frown on tenants using the Secret Hose Location.

Black Dog
04-06-2015, 06:54 PM
What's the deal with Pledge? I've seen it mentioned twice lately.

Pledge is magic on bikes. Shines them up real good. Just don't ask if lemon or Orange is better. Kind of a campy vs shimano question. :no:

oldpotatoe
04-07-2015, 07:07 AM

easy

mktng
04-07-2015, 07:35 AM
I bought a pesticide pump spray jug thingy. Holds enough water for 2 really really good cleanings. Easy to move around, easy to use and provides good pressure. I wash my bikes in the basement parking lot beside my car. Or find any spot that's close to a drain. Luckily mines right beside one. I took the bathtub route when I first moved in...but they have this stupid grippy section on the bottom of the tub that just traps grease. Not worth having to clean the tub after every bike rinse down.

For you.... Couldn't you just wash it on the grass or something? Nothing you'd be using would be chemically strong enough to kill the surrounding area. Bet there's no sign for that!!

http://m.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/chapin-poly-sprayer-with-extended-pump-2-gal-0594001p.html

This is what I have. Not $8. But it's provided me with 2 years of good usage. Now I've jinxed myself..im sure it's going to break soon. :/

sashae
04-07-2015, 07:42 AM
I did both the shower method (not high on the wife approval factor and the kids didn't appreciate their rubber ducks getting greasy) as well as a bucket of hot soapy water and a brush outside, which was more effective when not below freezing...

leooooo
04-07-2015, 07:54 AM
I cop the Costco sized packages of baby wipes and clean the bike on the streets after I shower.

Works well enough and minimizes the house cleaning post bike wipe

tumbler
04-07-2015, 08:23 AM

+1. I learned this the hard way and wouldn't recommend using the tub, unless it's just the frame or your drivetrain is clean. Certain tubs will cling to bicycle grease with an unholy strength. It took me about a half hour of scrubbing in my old apartment to get the grease stains out of the tub. The suggestion of placing an old yoga mat down first is a great idea.

mecse
04-07-2015, 09:19 AM
i seem to have lucked out, my company's bike room installed a small tub area with a hose for us to wash bikes in. it's quite the luxury :banana:

This is easily the greatest luxury.

Condo living, though: My building has high pressure washers (and staff for them) that I have, in the past, asked for a spraying at their leisure. They looked at me funny but then all fine.

Most people I know in NYC just ask a shop to do it for them, at the $ of the place. The space-time for cleaning is hard to find.

JAllen
04-07-2015, 10:23 AM

After reading the responses, it sounds like it would be a pain. Luckily I rent a house and no one tells me what I can and can't do. My point is, it's such a hassle that it might be worth it to take it to your LBS and have them do it. I know they tend to do it when they do tune-ups and whatnot, but I'm sure they'd be game to just wash it for you. It might be worth the $$ to not have the headache. Or they might let you use their facilities to do it yourself. I guess that depends on the shop.

^ Why don't you just rub it in buddy! lol

Likes2ridefar
04-07-2015, 10:25 AM

It's depressing being in the same building as your company especially since I know it all exists.

sweet_johnny
04-07-2015, 10:27 AM
easy

perfect!

Grant McLean
04-07-2015, 10:54 AM
I can't wash in the condo's parking lot (it's against condo rules/regs).

I'd likely pick a time to do it in the lot when nobody is likely to notice.
Or go to a friends place.

My routine is:
One bucket of warm soapy water and a brush to scrub
One bucket of warm clean water to rinse
Some pieces of old towels to wipe and dry.

I have the luxury of an outdoor patio in my unit, so i'm not restricted
to the common spaces in my building, but i don't have running water outside,
so i'm filling from my tub.

In the winter i've done the same routine in the underground parking,
I just do in over one of the drains on the lower level where the cars
down there never move, (and are covered in dust!) I'm sure that's against
the regs in my building too, but i've been here for 13 years and nobody
has ever mentioned it to me.

-g

spiderman
04-07-2015, 06:23 PM
Should've taken a shot at the car wash I guess
But I swipe my card for a dollar
On straight rinse...I get the car, dog, bike
Shoes and jacket rinsed in three minutes:)

We live in a downtown loft...I have a fantastic lbs
And rinsed off the bike and left it to change out
The flat I got on the last climb out...
The rear hub is a little tricky to adjust
And I'm just getting plain old
Lazy with this luxurious downtown lifestyle;)

54ny77
04-07-2015, 07:18 PM
when we lived in the big metropolis i'd wash my bike outside late at night (after 10-11 pm) as long as weather was tolerable (not freezing). took a small pail of warm soapy water, squirt bottle of simple green, toothbrush, a dry rag and a full bike water bottle. cleaned up and rinsed off with water bottle, wiped off dripping water with rag, tossed everything in bucket and strolled back into my building. doormen didn't hassle me because it was always late/dark and virtually no resident traffic, plus they were cool. i also did this far end of building away from the door, so they wouldn't get hassled in case the building super was walking near lobby.

in winter, i'd do the in the shower thing usually 1x/week, which really sucked. bathroom always nice & clean afterwards, of course. wife liked that aspect, at least.