PDA

View Full Version : OT: John Oliver / Edward Snowden interview

eddief
04-06-2015, 08:49 AM
In no way trying to post political here on the Forum, but thought this was pretty great in so many ways:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykfGWcmUbbk

Aaron O
04-06-2015, 09:38 AM
Eddie - thanks for posting. I thought it was interesting; he asked hard questions and he didn't simplify complicated issues. It was also quite funny.

texbike
04-06-2015, 09:38 AM
1. Hero. All for naught, but a hero. In the recent HBO special on Snowden, he struck me as a bit of a narcissist but incredibly brilliant.
2. The Daily Show missed a HUGE opportunity by not wrangling John Oliver to take over the reins.

I love the line from Snowden to John Oliver - "If you weren't on the list before, you are now"! :)

Texbike

verticaldoug
04-06-2015, 09:41 AM
If you get a chance, watch citizen 4.

FlashUNC
04-06-2015, 09:42 AM
Amidst the comedy, I think Snowden made a really salient point. We shouldn't change our behavior just to avoid what we think is bad policy. Reality is if the policy is at odds with our values, the policy needs changing.

And Oliver is completely right on how to frame this discussion for vast swaths of America.

texbike
04-06-2015, 09:44 AM

Word. Incredible!

Texbike

tumbler
04-06-2015, 09:47 AM

+1. Watched it on Friday and thought it was very interesting.

8aaron8
04-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Thanks for sharing that was a fun watch. As much as I enjoy the comedic style of these interviews I wish more of the urgency was revealed within the interview.

eddief
04-06-2015, 10:34 AM
of the piece is that it showed that many Americans are too uninformed to even know who Snowden is and those masses are easy targets for an over reaching gov. But when you put the story in dick and comedy form, then even the rank and file can get an idea of what is really going on. Serious and complicated = not interested. Dick and comedy = attention getter.

Thanks for sharing that was a fun watch. As much as I enjoy the comedic style of these interviews I wish more of the urgency was revealed within the interview.