PDA

View Full Version : Best way to shim MTN cleat

ahumblecycler
04-06-2015, 06:38 AM
Hello body of wisdom

What is the way - and potentially best pedal/cleat - to shim a MTN cleat? I use a 5mm shim under my left KEO cleat but have read shimming a MTN cleat is difficult due to the pedal is dependent on shoe contact and not cleat contact.

Guidance, experience, etc is much appreciated

oldpotatoe
04-06-2015, 07:23 AM
Hello body of wisdom

What is the way - and potentially best pedal/cleat - to shim a MTN cleat? I use a 5mm shim under my left KEO cleat but have read shimming a MTN cleat is difficult due to the pedal is dependent on shoe contact and not cleat contact.

http://www.bikeshopliquidators.com/p-968-bikefit-8-pack-spd-wedges-2-hole.aspx?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=AllProducts&gclid=CO7wxezV4cQCFROUfgodx7QAUg

ahumblecycler
04-06-2015, 07:43 AM
Thanks (young) oldpotatoe

oldpotatoe
04-06-2015, 08:14 AM
Thanks (young) oldpotatoe

Tee hee, thanks but

"getting old ain't for sissies"..Betty Davis

jonnyBgood
04-06-2015, 10:52 AM
Hello body of wisdom

If your local shop does any kind of a Fit Service then they should have these in stock

donevwil
04-06-2015, 12:06 PM
http://www.bikeshopliquidators.com/p-968-bikefit-8-pack-spd-wedges-2-hole.aspx?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=AllProducts&gclid=CO7wxezV4cQCFROUfgodx7QAUg

I have not used these, but have a need similar to the OP (original poster not Old Potato). With SPD's (and potentially other MTB cleat systems, but I've only used SPD) the shoe's longitudinal ridges on each side of the cleat zone are critical to minimizing or eliminating lateral rocking. What happens when these wedges are used ? The cleat to ridge distance is decreased so wouldn't engagement slop or rocking be the result ?