PDA

View Full Version : Resuming Rider

wdlewis
04-15-2006, 05:21 PM
I just started my 3rd retirement and, after 12 years of doing other things, have decided to start riding again. I have ordered an Ottrott ST after doing a bit of research and trial riding. I used to do centuries, but doubt that I will resume that level of riding.

I am finding out that components have changed a bit since I was last riding. I would appreciate some input on the advantages of Record vs Dura Ace for all the components. I have tried both and sense no real difference. I like the black carbon appearance of the Record components and I like their thumb trigger.

I have decided on the gloss black for the carbon pieces of my bike and the natural Ti for the remainder. I'd like to have black rims, but without a lot of logo distractions. I want a striking, but subtle appearance.

victoryfactory
04-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Doug;
Welcome.

Campy vs Shimano?

Well, you might as well start a war with your first post....

But realistically, Most campy vs shimano wars eventually get to this:
They both work great, go with what appeals to you, whose shifters fit your
hands best. Does Italian stuff ring your bell? Does Japanese tech do it for you?

Sounds lke a great bike, though. Good luck

BTW, If this is your first time using the new type shifters, boy are you gonna
be blown away with the precision and ease. Cycle components have come
a looong way in the last 10 years!

VF

dsimon
04-15-2006, 05:58 PM
Wheels that dont say much but are awsome, imop the campy protons, just simple but awsome, compatible with either campy or shimano :D

stevep
04-15-2006, 07:28 PM
campagnolo stuff is terrible. shimano is perfect.
this theory has yet to be explored on this form ( yet this week )

catulle
04-15-2006, 09:33 PM
Er, I'm also new here. But I'll be audacious and welcome you anyway. I'm also an old cyclist back after a long hiatus. So, according to some of the better established folks here, I'm just an old dude with a bicycle now. Well, that's ok with me.

Going back to your post, though, I like Campagnolo because when I used to ride on a regular basis Shimano didn't exist. So I only know Campagnolo, the old and the new, while I have never used a Shimano cycling product and at this rate I don't think I ever will. But, anyway, why should I quit Campagnolo if I find their components perfect in every way? If it works, don't fix it, they say. Actually, from all the discussions here, it comes down to simple personal preference. (Shhhh, If I were you, I'd get Campagnolo).

Regarding the wheels, there are basically two options: Custom or factory made. Campagnolo factory wheels are great (Neutron, Eurus, would be perfect for your new bicycle). But you can get custom wheels which perform as well and better, that can be made exactly like you want them, and that would very likely cost less than the factory wheels. Ergott, one of the regulars here and an Otrott owner himself, makes great custom wheels.

Please take my response with a grain of salt as I'm new here, I'm certainly no expert, and I'm mainly repeating what I've heard here; but I hope it helps. Congratulations for your new bicycle...!

H.Frank Beshear
04-15-2006, 09:37 PM
Dyslexia is a terrible thing Steve. If I didn't know you wrote backwards I'd have been sure you said Shimano was better than Campy. Since I (and now the world :D ) know about your disability I realize you much prefer Campy to Shimano. Feel free to correct me as I'm sure you will :rolleyes: , but you will have to tell us how much you love Campy so we know you don't mean it. :cool: Frank

SoCalSteve
04-15-2006, 09:38 PM
Er, I'm also new here. But I'll be audacious and welcome you anyway. I'm also an old cyclist back after a long hiatus. So, according to some of the better established folks here, I'm just an old dude with a bicycle now. Well, that's ok with me.

Going back to your post, though, I like Campagnolo because when I used to ride on a regular basis Shimano didn't exist. So I only know Campagnolo, the old and the new, while I have never used a Shimano cycling product and at this rate I don't think I ever will. But, anyway, why should I quit Campagnolo if I find their components perfect in every way? If it works, don't fix it, they say. Actually, from all the discussions here, it comes down to simple personal preference. (Shhhh, If I were you, I'd get Campagnolo).

Regarding the wheels, there are basically two options: Custom or factory made. Campagnolo factory wheels are great (Neutron, Eurus, would be perfect for your new bicycle). But you can get custom wheels which perform as well and better, that can be made exactly like you want them, and that would very likely cost less than the factory wheels. Ergott, one of the regulars here and an Otrott owner himself, makes great custom wheels.

Please take my response with a grain of salt as I'm new here, I'm certainly no expert, and I'm mainly repeating what I've heard here; but I hope it helps. Congratulations for your new bicycle...!

I wont even get started on the Shimano vs Campy...But, it sounds like youve made up your mind. On the level you are talking about, it truly does come down to aesthetics and cost.

Now, for wheels, I second that you have a chat with Mr Eric (Ergott). He is as honest as the day is long and can build you a darn nice set of wheels.

Wheels and tires are probably the most important component when it comes to comfort (after fit). Choose wisely.

Good luck and welcome back!

Steve

stevep
04-16-2006, 05:43 AM
shimano stuff is terrible. campy is perfect.
that right?

just dont try half and half.

Ken Robb
04-16-2006, 01:13 PM
you all know I have and like Campy and Shimano but "half and half" might be the best. I'd have Shimano brakes(probably long reach) so I'd have quick releases on the calipers too. I prefer Campy Brifters and they have another release on them so I could really open the calipers up wide for fat tires and Campy deraileurs to match. Cranks, rings cassettes and chains would be Shimano because they work as well and cost a lot less than Campy equivalents.

The only problem with this plan is that the best deals on parts by far is buying a whole group so a mixed set would be too costly for me at normal prices. The best bang for the buck for high performance components in my opinion is Ultegra.

Tom
04-16-2006, 01:32 PM
wear them.

I think both makes will shift when you want to and won't shift when you don't want to. They work.

I, however, have Campy on both my road bikes because the hoods are comfortable, the mouse ears work well for me and to my sense of aesthetics pointy hoods angled up toward the sky look silly. Call me vain.

Ginger
04-16-2006, 03:56 PM
Hello Vain, nice to meet you.
;)

I like campy because it fits my hands. I also like the mouse ears.

One of my roadie friends did say that they liked Shimano because if you shifted the wrong lever you just keep pushing at the shifter and sooner or later you'd get to be in the gear you wanted. :banana:

wdlewis
04-16-2006, 04:48 PM
I've been riding the loaner Ottrott with the Campy shifters and have begun to really like them. I think I need a triple on the front for my old knees and the Georgia hills.

Is the Record 3-ring a good decision?

The reference to "mouse ears" amused me. They do work well.

Fixed
04-16-2006, 06:27 PM
bro you can mix...... it just depends where .imho
cheers